Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Walter V-Drive Light On

Hi Guys - hope you don't mind me posing a question...

My Walter 26D V-Drive light came on today and remained on... across all RPM's. I had just filled the V-Drive with 30W oil before going out for the day, (it was a little low) so I'm wondering if that could have something to do with it (perhaps overfilled?). The boat is 2006 Calabria (couldnt find a clean VLX after months of looking), that I just bought it with 62 hours, so I wasn't expecting such issues this early on. Hoping to get back out on the water tomorrow, but a little hesitant with the light situation. Transmission oil is impeccably clean... and tranny fluid is full.

I do not believe either have been changed since it's still under 100 hrs. Was thinking of doing the oil tomorrrow to see if it helps. I've found various manuals online, etc... but nothing that shows where I could buy a pressure gauge, what type of gauge to buy, and how to install (assuming I wanted to test the real pressure, etc.. Wondering if it could be switch, or perhaps an overfill?

Any thoughts would be really appreciated?

Edited by h20mobius

Thanks... any idea how to go about diagnosing one of those? I saw that on the side... but wasnt sure how to diagnose from there. Can I pick up parts from a local auto store? West Marine?

Skidim has them as well. Check the wiring behind the light itself as well. At least on Malibu's, it is known to be pretty loose and cause shorts (although you'd think this may cause the light not to come on vs. staying on).

Update: Changed the transmission oil on Saturday - refilled with Non-Detergent 30W and light has subsequently been off. Previously dip stick showed full, but was only able to drain about 1qt from the presumed 2qt resevoir. Refilled with 1.5qt to full, cleaned filter, and so far so good.

• 2 weeks later...