Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1992 Sunsetter Carb. Surging

Took the boat out last week. Boat ran fine all day, toward the end of the day I was pulling a tube back to the boat ramp and boat started surging like it was running out of gas? Got back to boat ramp and it idled and loaded on trailer. Thought maybe it was running out of gas but checked tank with hose to see what was left had about a quarter of a tank like gauge said? Had carb rebuilt recently and boat has been running great. Boat only has about 300 hrs on it. Any help would be appreciated. I am also going to start a thread on the throttle because I sometimes have to play with the neutral switch and throttle to get it just right to start. I don't think this has anything to do with the surging? Thanks

Took the boat out today, ran great for awhile then once hot it started surging again. Could pull it back to idle ran great. Anybody have fuel pump problems before? Does it have to be a marine fuel pump are just an automotive pump. Also saw on Bakes marine a fitting on the tank they say becomes clogged? I drained the water fuel separator and checked the inline fuel filter which was clean. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I am having a similar problem with my 1995 sun setter. She runs great but after sitting she coughs, chokes and won't stay running, especially when trying to pull a skier. After opening the carb and letting her dry out she runs fine again. I just replaced the fuel/ water separator to no avail. My next step is to drain the fuel tank. My hunch is water in the tank mixing with gas. Worth a try?

Thanks for the help, I am trying to figure out why it takes awhile before it does it? Sometimes three or four hours and can be as short as one to two hours? Different every-time. This last weekend put new in line filter and took back flow connector off of take. Still hd problem about an hour into the day. Thank goodness it still runs to get back to the dock. Can the float get heavier the more you use the boat? To the person that posted about his boat dieing. Mine never dies at idle just starts surging at 15-20 mph and if you give it gas it gets worse but if you pull it back to idle its fine. Your carb maybe like mine was last year, I had to have my carb. cleaned and it had trash in the bowls. After having it cleaned I put an inline fuel filter in to see if it would catch any trash from the tank. I have never seen any in the clear filter? It is not getting enough gas Pump? Float? Fuel Filters are clean and check value at tank are fine. Summer is passing by and I cant take anyone to the river because the boat may not run. I will try and check the float and see if it is heavy. Thanks for all of the help.

I had a similar issue once just like yours and tried everything you did. In the end the problem went away once I took out the added fuel filter (with clear sight tube like you added). But at the same time I replaced some sections of fuel line and changed the water-separating fuel filter. I think I had a bad separator fuel filter. Try replacing it, not just emptying it. And make sure you buy the right one.