Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Question: Loud hissing noise coming from Engine

CElliott00

I have a 2011 Malibu LSV 23 witht the monsoon 350 in it. It handles and performs great. I have noticed that between 2000 - 3000 rpms the engine emits a loud hissing noise. I never experienced this issue with my 2005 LSV so I was wondering if anyone else has noticed the same or if this is completely normal. Thanks for your help!

sounds to me like it's growling at you for more gas... seriously- poke around and check your hoses and fluids and make certain all your caps are tight. i believe I too get a steady noise I think its from the v-drive

Mine's the same...talked to my dealer about it and said that it was normal. However, I thought that there was some type of warranty claim for the air intake?

I figured it was normal. We had the 20 hour service not to long ago and they went over everything and it was all good.

My boat does this. I was told it is a normal whistling effect of air being sucked through the metal air filter. Only happens in a certain rpm range corresponding to a certain rate of air flow consumed by the engine.

Edited by Cory

Thanks for all the replies. Good to hear that we all are experiencing the same thing. I spoke to my dealer and he said that it was normal and as stated above it is the intake on the high performance engine. I can live with it. Hope y'all are able to get out on the water today. I am about to start flooding the tanks for a day of riding. Cheers!

I was gunna say probably just the sound of the engine sucking in air at just the right rpm

Intake noise. Time to go back to the FE/Experimental drawing board and improve the resonator on it.

One of my favorite sounds on the boat!

I have the same noise and kinda like it myself, reminds me of the "Turbo Boost" sound that K.I.T.T. would make when in pursuit back in the 80's.