Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surf wake - MXZ vs LSV

Tyger

I read through a few threads on here, but wanted to get more detailed input. Can anyone compare the surf wake between an MXZ and a comparable LSV? If they are similar that's great, but if the LSV offers a much better surf wake, I'd like to know because I'm thinking maybe '13 MXZ 24 for my next boat.

Looks like the surfgate might add to the dilemma of your choices

Lol, the surf gate is the dilemma of my choice. :D I'm definitely getting a '13 and I want the MXZ, unless the surf wave will possible suffer against the old hull.

I realize the surf gate is going to make a major difference, I just want to see who has surfed both in '12.

Lol, the surf gate is the dilemma of my choice. :D I'm definitely getting a '13 and I want the MXZ, unless the surf wave will possible suffer against the old hull.

I realize the surf gate is going to make a major difference, I just want to see who has surfed both in '12.

Probably gonna have to wait a month or two to get more than a handful of opinions

The MXZ 12's platform split the surf wake the same way the axis does. Surfgate might change that but I don't know. If I had to buy right now and wanted the more proven wave, it would be the LSV

I am still waiting to see the surfwake on a surf sac'd out MXZ.

Id like to see it with wedge at 80%, 11.4MPH, full rear surfside ballast, center ballast 2/3 full, 1/2 gas, an 1100lb in the trunk and a 750lb running under the surfside seats. Bow ballast either full or empty depending on what it looks like. Any takers?????

Since the MXZ is heavier than the 23, it should be a great surfwake. LIkely need the 6.0L to do it comfy with the weight. Only conern would be that real low nose, and constantly in worried about dunking under rollers.

nyryan, this isn't exactly the weight setup you described, but it's pretty close.

http://www.themalibu...-mxz-surf-wave/

I've had more weight in it since, and it just gets better.

As for the low nose, in my experience, the MXZ is way less likely to dip the nose than the VLX or LSV. The broader bow seems to help spread out the impact on waves and get it up and over more easily. When surfing I have yet to dip the bow, but have definitely done it a few times when really weighted for wakeboarding.

Edited by Cdoogles

Cd- that is a gorgeous wake. near perfect, seriously. 350 or 6.0L?

Do you put anything is the bow ballast, or empty? 11.2 MPH ish?

Sorry for the shotgun of questions, first pics of a MXZ sac'd out Ive seen. i though it had allll the makings of a great surfboat, being compact and heavy as it is, with the additional weight in the bow.... much like the 247s. When I see waves like that, forget the surfgate. Do a good custom plumbing job on one of these and you are set. Thanks for the share.

6.0L engine, generally run between 11.6 and 12.2 depending on the day.

I generally run the bow empty, but have been adding a few extra pounds when it is really heavily weighted as it seems to clean up the wave a little bit.

Just last week I spent some time with the goofy wave. It get's really good really quick.... I was very impressed.