Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1998 malibu response lx help

Just bought a 98 response lx yesterday. It ran like a top. Today i get it home take it out and when I get on it, it dies out. Any help would be appreciated. Ive changed the one fuel filter. There isn't an in line on my boat. Also does anyone know the part number for a rotor button. Thanks in advance

Edited by Tha5-0

Filter is on top of the gas tank on my 98 Response. Behind the back seat. Does it start back up, if so sounds like old fuel!

It does start back up. The guy i bought it from says he filled it up and took it out last weekend. We went out for a while before I purchased it.

Edited by Tha5-0

It will idle and run around 1-2k rpms but anything after that and it kills out. How do i check the fuel to see if it's bad

Edited by Tha5-0

You should also check the high pressure filter near the fuel pump and check the creen on the pump as well. Sounds like some type of fuel issue. As far as the old fuel, I would drain the whole thing and start fresh.

On my malibu I only have one fuel filter. It's a canister style that looks like an oil filter. It has been replaced. I also took apart the fuel pump and cleaned and tested it. I'm going to take it out in a few minutes and see if a new fuel filter, rotor button, and cleaning the fuel pump helped. My motor is a 5.7 v8 carb.

Well took it out today with no luck. Took off the fuel pump and cleaned it. Still no luck. Took the pump off again and tested it. Wen you put pressure on the outgoing hose the pump stops but when you release the pressure the pump won't start back up until you knock or tap on it. Anybody know where I can get a reasonable pump under $80? It's a canister style rotary pump. Thanks

You say it dies after it reaches 2k? What does the temp gauge say? Is it overheating? Just wondering since you've already checked all the fuel issues.