Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Long towing trip starts tonight!

Asmodeus2112

Leaving after work tonight to start our 1,200 mile 20 hour drive to WI from TX dragging the boat behind. Dealing with pre-trip jitters worrying about whether anything will go wrong, if I packed everything etc. Hoping a post will help somehow...

We went on a 1,400 mile trip in April from Michigan to Florida with our new boat. Did not even have a test drive before we left. Got to Florida and was able to enjoy the boat. Towing the boat just make the drive a little slower.

Just remember, if you forget something you can most likely get a replacement where you are going.

• Like 1

With our last boat, I did 800 miles with a rental pickup that I had never driven before (actually hadn't driven anything other than a passenger car for about 5 years prior, either). Just take it slow. Once you're out on the highway, it's all good!

I will handle any roadside assistance calls tonight south of DFW, but you will be fine.

Hah! Thanks Boz. We're planning on stopping in Richardson for the night. Nice to know there are friendlies around.

Edited by Asmodeus2112

Lauderdale Lakes for 4 weeks. Just hoping it's cooler there than Texas, 'cause that was the whole point!

Lower 90s for a while and then 80s. There is a burning ban in most of the bottom half of the state, but getting some rain.

Enjoy the trip.

• Like 1

Yep, dead grass and hot weather. Hopefully it's enough of a change for you. Wish I was still in Milwaukee, I'd tow over and join you for a day.

Have a great time!

Thanks. As long as the grass isn't on fire we'll have fun!

Lauderdale Lakes for 4 weeks. Just hoping it's cooler there than Texas, 'cause that was the whole point!

I live right next door to there now, in Whitewater...if you're looking for more skiers or a pull whenever shoot me a pm.

We are leaving this coming Friday, NorCal to North Idaho with a Saturday stop over for the NorCal WOW. We do the trip every year. Cool weather makes the trip easier as hot temps can increase heat on wheel bearings. I like road trips and can't wait. Hope your trip goes well. We are only there for a week, 1100 miles each way but well worth the effort bringing the boat along.

Hope to see a couple of crew folks up at Priest Lake the week of the 23rd.

We are leaving this coming Friday, NorCal to North Idaho with a Saturday stop over for the NorCal WOW. We do the trip every year. Cool weather makes the trip easier as hot temps can increase heat on wheel bearings. I like road trips and can't wait. Hope your trip goes well. We are only there for a week, 1100 miles each way but well worth the effort bringing the boat along.

My cousin is towing the boat up there on the 25th. I won't be up there until the 3rd. If you see him, wave him down. Pinto point bay. One bay west of Indian Creek.

We just got back today from Priest. We went earlier this year than usual but the weather was the hottest ever. Official NWS temps starting last Sunday for Coolin, Id. - 98,90,91,92,93,95 It's only about a 380 mile drive for us.

We just got back today from Priest. We went earlier this year than usual but the weather was the hottest ever. Official NWS temps starting last Sunday for Coolin, Id. - 98,90,91,92,93,95 It's only about a 380 mile drive for us.

What was the water temp?

Made it without much issue. Picked up a screw in a trailer tire, so had to get a new tire. Was at the end of a 14 hour drive, so didn't impact the schedule. Dropped the boat in this afternoon, so worth it to be here....

The only real downside to this is the draught. The lakes are spring fed, but still down about 10". Of course there are still just as many boats (which I am one of...), so the lake has a lot of seaweed and gunk. Of the 35 or so years I've known this lake, this is the worst I've seen it.

What was the water temp?

The top 12" where the thermometer was hanging off of the dock was hovering between 76 and 78. That was in 2-3' of water right by the shore. The real temperature was probably low to mid 60's. 2nd week of July is still pretty early to expect the lake to be warmed up much. A local said that they hadn'd any nice weekends until July. Thermometer in the boat is off, was reading 53.