Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lift - Year Around Storage Option?

Soon2BV

We are considering getting a permanent slip at Dale Hollow and having a lift installed.

One question is if we can leave the boat on the lift thru the winter and not have to put it into other storage. I know I can winterize it on the lift, and temperature wise it would be no different on the lift than in an unheated storage unit. If I can eliminate the need for a storage unit that makes the slip / lift purchase more affordable.

Any concerns with leaving it on the lift?

I had my 99 VLX and now my 11 VLX on a covered lift and have no issues. In addition, there are about 8 other Malibu owners at our marina that do the same thing. Once you have the lift you will never look back...

My boat has lived on a lift year round since day 1. Temperature-wise, its actually warmer than an unheated

storage unit down here in Texas, as the boat sits just a few feet above a lake that never gets below the 60s.

My only real concerns are wind and sun exposure. The slips at my local Marina are covered with a metal roof,

but my boat's transom gets exposed to direct sunlight for several hours every day all year long. My Great Lakes

cover extends down over the edge of my swim platform, so it protects most of the transom from the sunlight, but

I also make sure that I keep a layer of wax/marine-polish protectant liberally applied on the sides and lower

transom where the cover offers no protection.

In the off season, I actually double-cover my boat, with my Rankin underneath and my Great Lakes on top. I've

never yet found either cover blown loose despite some sometimes serious wind.

My only issue with that would be that I'd be too tempted to take it out on that random warm January day...then I'd have to go and winterize it all over again. <sigh>

It's really a little better than storing it on a trailer outside for the winter as long as it's winterized properly, and there are plenty of people who do that with all sorts of inboards without issue. I would echo what srab says though, and get as thorough of a cover as you can, then get a good coat of wax on whatever isn't going to be covered.

Only other thing to consider is that you'll typically pull the transom plug when it's on a trailer outside for the winter, and you may or may not want to mess with doing that in this situation. If you don't, be sure that you check the battery regularly or have a tender on it.

Edited by nownow

I would think it should be just fine. Just make sure it is looked after by dock personnel. I have seen floating lifts leak down during the winter. No common but it happens. As long as someone is around on a weekly basis you'll be fine.

People on my lake in Michigan do it. Typically they shrink wrap it up on the lift. It scares me that my lift cable would break at a very inopportune time.

People on my lake in Michigan do it. Typically they shrink wrap it up on the lift. It scares me that my lift cable would break at a very inopportune time.

:plus1: on the shrink wrap if you do not plan on using it. I think you could clamp some safety planks across and maybe even take some of the load off the cables.

Where at Dale Hollow are you considering? My family has left their boat at Sunset on a lift year round for the past 3 years. No problems. Dad says there might be a little extra cleaning at the beginning of the season, but otherwise is real happy with the arrangement. He really likes not having to ever drive a tow vehicle down there...

Shouldn't be an issue. Re-winterizing can be done in a few minutes. Covers can be made to protect against extended sun exposure. There is not much that you can't overcome.

The biggest issue I'd have is what if you want to take it some place else? We have a dozen other lakes in our immediate area & love exploring new & different places. Boat camping, riding new lakes, etc. I've been to Dale Hollow a few times & granted it's a great place. But it will get a little old after a while.

We are looking at Sunset, Sulphur Creek and State Park Marina. Each has it's own benefits. State park is leading because it is closest to Indiana, we love that part of the lake, and the lodge and campground are great.

We won't get rid of our trailer, and will still plan to go to other lakes. We store the boat near there now, this will just save the time and work of launching each time there, and make the commute much easier.

• 3 weeks later...

For thos ewho keep the boat on, how do you winterize? I am mainly wondering about the oil change (I use the drain hose thru the plug in the hull). what about any anti-freeze solutions (I put a little through the heater core just to be safe.)