Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2013 mxz 22 price?

malibu.c.c

if 2012's with 6.0L were/are selling for 85 or so.... add surfgate, a few upgrades and the 5 months early premium.... you gotta be in the low 90s to get one this summer. prehaps by next spring/summer, you can get one in the high 80s hopefully?

Prices usually vary from one area of the country to the next, but paying 6 figures for a '13 with all options (even a monsoon) is very likely. The '12's with all options and a 6.0 were around 90k.

Edit: I wouldn't be surprised if you could snag a '13 23 LSV with 6.0 for far less.

Edited by WakeSwagger

I cant believe the price of new boats. What makes these companies think they can charge that much? Even more, why do people pay these prices?

I cant believe the price of new boats. What makes these companies think they can charge that much? Even more, why do people pay these prices?

It's a frequent topic of conversation. I used to feel much the same way - seeing several new tournament boats out on the water that I knew cost 100K+. To answer your second question, the reason has a lot to do with the used market for tournament boats. In drastic comparison to I/O runabouts, tournament boats hold their value for years and it's been like that for a couple decades now. Once you get into a good boat, it's much easier to keep upgrading every few years.

As far why they cost so much, I'm pretty sure all of the tournament boat companies are privately held, so you can't see their profits like a public traded company. However, I feel that the profits are much lower than you would think. Technology and bling are obviously big cost drivers, but there's one huge cost that you won't find in, on or under any boat: liability. It's a problem across the boat industry, but I think more so in wakeboard boats. As they become more popular, as they propel riders higher and higher to pull off monster tricks more people turn to law suits if something bad happens. You can't keep paying out huge settlements, so hiring lawyers and having a war chest in place is the only way to stay in business. This is unfortunate for everyone, because those costs are passed on to us.

Another problem is the low volume for the kind of engineering and technology required. If they could sell 10 times as many boats, the cost would actually drop. And, this applies to every manufacturer - with more volume they could do a better job of competing on cost.

It's a frequent topic of conversation. I used to feel much the same way - seeing several new tournament boats out on the water that I knew cost 100K+. To answer your second question, the reason has a lot to do with the used market for tournament boats. In drastic comparison to I/O runabouts, tournament boats hold their value for years and it's been like that for a couple decades now. Once you get into a good boat, it's much easier to keep upgrading every few years.

As far why they cost so much, I'm pretty sure all of the tournament boat companies are privately held, so you can't see their profits like a public traded company. However, I feel that the profits are much lower than you would think. Technology and bling are obviously big cost drivers, but there's one huge cost that you won't find in, on or under any boat: liability. It's a problem across the boat industry, but I think more so in wakeboard boats. As they become more popular, as they propel riders higher and higher to pull off monster tricks more people turn to law suits if something bad happens. You can't keep paying out huge settlements, so hiring lawyers and having a war chest in place is the only way to stay in business. This is unfortunate for everyone, because those costs are passed on to us.

Another problem is the low volume for the kind of engineering and technology required. If they could sell 10 times as many boats, the cost would actually drop. And, this applies to every manufacturer - with more volume they could do a better job of competing on cost.

V

Very good point about the technology and fewer people purchasing it compared to say... a car. One thing you eluded to but but didn't say flat out is Demand. Bottom line, the market is willing to pay for it. i thought 10 years ago the market topped out on these boats but then I also thought Apple had topped out at 200.

We are negotiating right now with a dealer for an MXZ. If we went with a '13 today (350 engine) and most of the other main options you would expect, it was just over 88k

We are negotiating right now with a dealer for an MXZ. If we went with a '13 today (350 engine) and most of the other main options you would expect, it was just over 88k

I have to highly doubt that considering that we paid 82k out the door for a 350. Just sayin'.

I have to highly doubt that considering that we paid 82k out the door for a 350. Just sayin'.

He's probably close considering the annual price increase. I would guess that it is going to be around 5%.

I have to chime in on this. My theory is tournament boats don't hold value it's just 90% of them were financed new for 18 yrs and people are just selling for payoff. I can't believe what most people still owe on 7-10 yr old boats. Between the boat mfg's and finance companies the whole market is off axis in my opinion.

*rant off*

This was with surfgate right?