Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

how many of you guys/girls use helmets

mali_vride

I had a bad crash on the wakesurf yesterday when the tip of the board went into my head ouch Cry.gif . I am now thinking of buying a helmet. I was wondering how many of you use helmets while wakeboarding, wakeskating, surfing and what kind i should get.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VinRLX

• doughickey

• jetskipro550

• Pistol Pete

I've been wearing one for years. Wear it for anything except wakesurfing. Saved a bundle by buying a white water kayaking helmet by Pro-Tec. I reccomend you get one that covers your ears and should fit fairly tightly when you're trying it on in the store.

my helmet only $35

I don't wear one while surfing & the only knocks on the head that the board has given me are in the face. The helmet wouldn't help too much with that. :) I do wear one while boarding & foiling though, & on the board it has saved me from some real pain (I'm good at crashing :lol:). Here's the one that I wear, it's similar to Pete's above but has removable ear flaps. Very comfy.

http://www.pro-tec.net/water.html

I keep one in the boat and wear it when I'm trying new stuff. I should probably wear it all the time but haven't made the leap yet. Funny, since I always wear one snow skiing or boarding...

I second the ProTec: great helmet. Make sure it's snug in the store because it will feel looser when it's wet.

I know a couple people that have that "ace" style helmet and it seems the ear flaps keep falling out. On my helmet there's no ear flaps because trusty ole' duct tape is protecting your ears.

you sure like your double posting on different web sites don't cha Biggrin.gif

I sometimes ride with a helmet, it depends on if I am riding hard or not

Sure do Biggrin.gif

Required behind our boat at all times. Frustrated.gif

- no sense in ending a nice day to go to the hospital for stitches for one person (been there - done that) Blowup.gif

- from what I have read, injuring your ears is a big risk (water compression or whatever you call it) Lightning.gif

- amazingly, once we had the requirement, everyone got much more agressive and better (with the helmet) Cheers.gif

Edited by BOMOD
Do you have to raise your hand before you can talk too? I am j/k but doesn't that sound just a little up tight? It is your boat your rules, but....

Well we generaly have rules, like awlays wearing a life jacket for the under 14 yr olds. But if you are a big boy, and you dont want to wear a jacket in the boat, you dont have to. It could be the same for the helmet, but as a boat onwer, or as I would imagine, you need to protect your self, since it seems like people will sue over anything these days.

It doesn't matter if you made people in your boat sign a contract to not sue you...they still could and would probably win. People suing people just pisses me off (for the most part)Mad.gif

I agree completly, long gone is the idea self resposiblity, it couldnt have been MY fault... ugh.

If you know what you're doing you don't need to wear a helmet behind my boat, but kids under 16, all my family, and anyone learning all wear helmets all the time for anything but tubing. I've got a Pro-Tec Ace helmet in each size and haven't had any trouble with the ear flaps. I bet if you get some snaps that aren't tight though you would.

Would a snow ski helmet be the same thing? If not how do they differ?

Watersports helmets use a closed-cell eva foam inner padding that doesn't absorb water. Most of the snow helmets that I've seen use a hard foam for the basic structure and then soft foam pads to cushion the head. Those foam pads would get water logged making the helmet heavy.

I've been planning to get one as my family starts getting bigger air. Right now, still beginners and just don't see the need (yet).

We did have a friend with v bad concussion/trip to hospital/short term memory loss when he landed an invert melon first. That convinced my wife that there are helmets in our future.

I imagine we'll get a couple in variety of sizes as the kids (and the old driver) improve.

Does anyone think they are needed for basic cruising/carving?

You don't have to be going "huge" to catch an edge and get punished with that "slap-down". Shocking.gif Beginners benefit from helmets because those are the riders who are just learning about the consequences of catching an edge.

I bought one for wakeskating (not attached to the board, afraid of getting smacked on the melon) and now I wear it for wakeboarding as well. Falls that used to send me into the boat looking for the Advil now make me laugh (along with everyone in the boat) and wait for the handle to go again.

You don't have to be going "huge" to catch an edge and get punished with that "slap-down". Shocking.gif Beginners benefit from helmets because those are the riders who are just learning about the consequences of catching an edge.

I bought one for wakeskating (not attached to the board, afraid of getting smacked on the melon) and now I wear it for wakeboarding as well. Falls that used to send me into the boat looking for the Advil now make me laugh (along with everyone in the boat) and wait for the handle to go again.

Ditto that. I'll go a little further by saying that for some beginners it could be a huge help in that capacity. They won't be nearly as scared of getting hurt so they'll be a lot more willing & ready to try again. BOMOD touched on this point earlier - the confidence that the helmet gives you is something that you almost can't put a price on. Knowing that you have a much, much lower chance of getting your bell rung allows you the confidence to be more aggressive. Of course it doesn't help with, say, twisting a knee or cracking a rib. Innocent.gif But there will always bet the risk of getting hurt, & if you can minimize the risk to your melon then all the better IMO.

The day I got knocked silly and i lost my memory for a little... I was just doing a lipslide on the wake, after a day of trying 360s and flips.

Do you have to raise your hand before you can talk too? I am j/k but doesn't that sound just a little up tight? It is your boat your rules, but....

Actually, I happen to like to get by with as few rules as possible. A little online research and a little personal experience led us to the helmet requirement. No sense in ruining a good day for several people (or permanently affecting someone).

Tight? Not at all. Just wanting to have to most fun and do it relatively safely.

I'm glad I've read this thread ... I consider myself to be an experienced boater and generally up to speed on all of the safety issues, but we haven't been using helmets. We have two for the kids, but haven't been enforcing their use. I'd never not use a "brain bucket" when mountain biking ...the protection for eardrums is justification enough to be using a helmet behind the boat. Looks like it's time to go shopping again. Thanks for all of of the great input!

I bought one for wakeskating (not attached to the board, afraid of getting smacked on the melon) and now I wear it for wakeboarding as well.

Ha ha ha,

Mike admitted he wakeboards. ROFL.gif