Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

building a boom

jetskipro550

It would be nice to have a boom on our boat but they are really expensive and the design seems really basic. Has anyone made their own boom or know of anyone who has? Anyone want to sell me one for 100 bucks? :)

some boats might just use a straight piece of aluminum tube attached in some way to the pylon. I had an outboard boat that we configured this way. but, that piece of aluminum tubing alone is expensive as it is very thick and heavy. It also looked pretty white trash! :)

My current malibu uses a curved aluminum pole that could not be made easily at all. Plus it requires a connector of some sort to the pylon, cables, etc...

unfortunately it would be a LOT of work, costly materials and still look homemade. So I just took the plunge and bought one...

I know malibu3 had one built by his father in law's machine shop... or someone in the family. Tom Sawyer might know more about it as well...

It would be nice to have a boom on our boat but they are really expensive and the design seems really basic. Has anyone made their own boom or know of anyone who has? Anyone want to sell me one for 100 bucks? :)

You were doing fine till you got to that 100 bucks part!! ROFL.gif Making one of Some kind can't be that hard, there's no rocket science in it...maybe some engineering and a fair bit of physics, but probably no rocket science.

It's probably easy and cheap to make one but the expensive part comes in making it removable and easily adjustable, oh and I guess I should say SAFE too!! Put the word out that you are looking, lots of people get one with a used boat they buy and don't need it. I've seen them on ebay too.

PS. If you get a good one that is easy to use you will probably use it more than you think.

Edited by Texasguy
I don't want to spend much money on one because it would only get used a time or two a year.

If you buy one you will use it more than once or twice a year. I bought mine thru my Malibu Dealer used. It was traded in with a Response, hence it was already set up and adjusted for my boat. i use mine to teach people to get up on skis, wakeboards, and the occasional person that wants to learn how to barefoot. They are invaluable learning tools.

I don't want to spend much money on one because it would only get used a time or two a year.

If you buy one you will use it more than once or twice a year. I bought mine thru my Malibu Dealer used. It was traded in with a Response, hence it was already set up and adjusted for my boat. i use mine to teach people to get up on skis, wakeboards, and the occasional person that wants to learn how to barefoot. They are invaluable learning tools.

Totally agree with that statement.

We really wouldn't use it much ourselves, but now that I think about it a boom would get used all the time at our churh's lake shasta HB camp! Are most booms standard, such as they will fit most dd boats? I know a fair amount of people that own booms, but I bet they haven't used them in years. Maybe I will see if I can barrow one from somebody to see if we will actually like it and use one...

As summer gets closer and closer I just keep getting myself into more and more projects. My to do list is as follows...fix the wedge (waiting on the bolts from MM), install my LED's, install my tower speakers, build a jump seat (the woods just sitting around), make or buy a boom, fix wedge door in platform Crazy.gif

We really wouldn't use it much ourselves, but now that I think about it a boom would get used all the time at our churh's lake shasta HB camp! Are most booms standard, such as they will fit most dd boats? I know a fair amount of people that own booms, but I bet they haven't used them in years. Maybe I will see if I can barrow one from somebody to see if we will actually like it and use one...

As summer gets closer and closer I just keep getting myself into more and more projects. My to do list is as follows...fix the wedge (waiting on the bolts from MM), install my LED's, install my tower speakers, build a jump seat (the woods just sitting around), make or buy a boom, fix wedge door in platform Crazy.gif

We're all part of the same club in that regard. :lol:

As for the boom itself, most boom companies build a standard boom that will fit most DD boats like yours. They also build booms with more contour to fit the RLXI - you want to stay away from that. You want the boom as far forward as possible to keep it out of the spray (farther back=more spray). The booms with more contour come back farther because of the windshield on the RLXI & probably a few other boats, the heavy contour allow it to come out at the correct spot behind the windshield. We had a Skylon Agressor boom on the yellow boat & it worked fine - CarveItUp owns it now for his SLXI & it fits fine.

I know that you're on a budget, but booms are hard to come by used & you really may want to consider the one that yabetcha has in the Classifieds. Look at it this way - if you don't end up using it as much as you think you will, you can always sell it for that.

We're all part of the same club in that regard.

Maybe we should start a thread//tech article/help section for those of us who have gotten in way over our heads in projects. It could be a place where we could admit that we have a boat accessory problem and get help to finish our projects that we are in the middle of :lol:

Okay, you win. But maybe the boat will be yours someday? Dontknow.gif

It will be mine within the next few years Yes.gif My dad says that they are going to upgrade to a v-drive and then either give me the boat as gift or sell it to me for a d@mn good price when they are ready....then I can turn around and sell it for a v-drive as well :lol:

some boats might just use a straight piece of aluminum tube attached in some way to the pylon. I had an outboard boat that we configured this way. but, that piece of aluminum tubing alone is expensive as it is very thick and heavy. It also looked pretty white trash! :)

My current malibu uses a curved aluminum pole that could not be made easily at all. Plus it requires a connector of some sort to the pylon, cables, etc...

unfortunately it would be a LOT of work, costly materials and still look homemade. So I just took the plunge and bought one...

ANd whats wrong w/ white trash ??? ;)

You may NEED a contour boom. I need one for my '01 SLXi. You have to look and see if the windshield extends past the pylon. Mine does. I've got a boom and the money I spent on it is the best money that I've spent on accessories. I've constantly got newbies and small kids out with me. I've helped tons of folks do "firsts" on the boom and give them confidence to go longline. Believe it or not, we even teach first-timers to come out on wakeboards on the boom. It's a great confidence builder and reduces frustration for newbies.