Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu .vs. Sea Ray Winter Draining

Just got done draining both my Malibu ('05 LSV) and my Sea Ray ('02 Sundeck) becauses the freezing weather is finally coming in the next couple of days. Tha Malibu entailed pulling clamps and hoses, removing plates and releasing quick disconnect fittings ... all in hard and very hard to get to places (some not even visible directly). It was my first time and I did not know where everything was so it took quite a while but my guess is about 1.5-2 hours next time thru. The Sea Ray took 10 minutes (also first time) with just 4 plastic oring-sealed threaded plugs. And of course both must be put back together come spring.

Obviously, Sea Ray planned and designed the engine to be easily drained while there was no apparent attempt on the part of Malibu or Indmar to ease this chore.

I mention this because I see Malibu as a relatively young company that is putting out a real good product ... but ... I also think they can look at the "old-timers" like Sea Ray if they want to step up the total quality of their entire product. Yahoo.gif

Just got done draining both my Malibu ('05 LSV) and my Sea Ray ('02 Sundeck) becauses the freezing weather is finally coming in the next couple of days. Tha Malibu entailed pulling clamps and hoses, removing plates and releasing quick disconnect fittings ... all in hard and very hard to get to places (some not even visible directly). It was my first time and I did not know where everything was so it took quite a while but my guess is about 1.5-2 hours next time thru. The Sea Ray took 10 minutes (also first time) with just 4 plastic oring-sealed threaded plugs. And of course both must be put back together come spring.

Obviously, Sea Ray planned and designed the engine to be easily drained while there was no apparent attempt on the part of Malibu or Indmar to ease this chore.

I mention this because I see Malibu as a relatively young company that is putting out a real good product ... but ... I also think they can look at the "old-timers" like Sea Ray if they want to step up the total quality of their entire product. Yahoo.gif

Welcome to the site.

Most of the time, easier isn't better. I can winterize my monsoon in about 15 min. So with a little practice, you should be able to do this quicker. Er... unless you have one of those funny boats with the backwards motor in the rear. Then..... Nevermind. :)

I have my motor oriented in the proper direction. Granted the impeller is a little hard to get to but with the proper tools and a little know how the winterization process isn't hard or very long.

I drain everything, blow out the ballast tanks and heater core, change the fluids and pull the impeller all in a little over an hour. The kids clean the other areas of the boat. It is ready for storage in about 2 hours.

Their is something to be said for the quick drain systems on the Merc motors. But with that said, I don't believe they get all the water out of all the hoses and waterpumps.

I think the majority of people have their dealer winterize their boat and this is not really a concern. While their is a large group of do it yourselfers like us - most of us can figure it out and deal with the once a year headache. I know the vdrives can be winterized properly in 30 min or less - and that's if you have a hotwater shower and heater!

btw, where are you that you have to worry about winterization mid feb? Wouldn't that be nice! Welcome to the site!

Their is something to be said for the quick drain systems on the Merc motors. But with that said, I don't believe they get all the water out of all the hoses and waterpumps.

I think the majority of people have their dealer winterize their boat and this is not really a concern. While their is a large group of do it yourselfers like us - most of us can figure it out and deal with the once a year headache. I know the vdrives can be winterized properly in 30 min or less - and that's if you have a hotwater shower and heater!

btw, where are you that you have to worry about winterization mid feb? Wouldn't that be nice! Welcome to the site!

Really? I've always done it myself and everyone I ski with has always done their own (or had me come do it). How many people actually pay to have it done?

Winterization what's that Crazy.gif Welcome to the Crew!

Winterization Cali. style... Back into garage, remove from garage and take to lake every 45 days, for a quick run, return to garage. ROFL.gif

On the Sea Ray you also need to pull the caps off of the back of the exhaust risers.

And winterizing is a good time to inspect hoses so if you don't pull them you miss that opportunity.

Sometimes easier makes us skip steps.

But I usually "winterize" 5 or 6 times in the winter cuz we still like to get out when the weather warms.

Really? I've always done it myself and everyone I ski with has always done their own (or had me come do it). How many people actually pay to have it done?

Trust me, I'm with ya. I've always done mine and wouldn't think about paying a dealer to do it. But in the lake community I live in I am far from the norm. Most people here have a hard time getting gas in their boat on their own much less figuring out how to winterize it. Not to mention the added security paying a dealer to do it "properly" buys them. The boat dealers around here, Malibu and everyone else stay real busy in the fall winterizing boats. I've got a feeling this site if full of more the DIY types like us and not a good indication of the majority of boaters.

Winterization Cali. style... Back into garage, remove from garage and take to lake every 45 days, for a quick run, return to garage. ROFL.gif

What's a winter? Biggrin.gif

Now that explains it all ... a v-drive .... wonderful concept ... Yahoo.gif

The engine is backwards (that I finally discovered) but I could never find the prop by following the drive shaft forward. Real tricky doubling it back like that. :blush:

What else awaits me! Mad.gif

Its not a malibu vs sea ray issue, its an indmar vs merc issue. And honsetly, you can drain down a malibu in 5 minutes (DD). Two hose clamps, two block plugs, and a garden hose fitting.

Chris

Now that explains it all ... a v-drive .... wonderful concept ... Yahoo.gif

The engine is backwards (that I finally discovered) but I could never find the prop by following the drive shaft forward. Real tricky doubling it back like that. :blush:

What else awaits me! Mad.gif

Wait til you hafta replace the muffler bearings on a v-drive

Ouch. Let's just hope he has the right wrench. . .

You referring to the left handed one right? You know that all the Vdrives are now (after 96') are using the left handed ones? I assume that's what you meant by your comment.

Winterizing my '01 VLX was easy - two drain plugs on the bottom of the block, hose between exhaust manifolds, hose to the v-drive...and for good measure, the water pump hose. Let them drain, crack a beer, reconnect...and you're ready to go for the next out...oh...make sure to drain the bilge too!

Ouch. Let's just hope he has the right wrench. . .

You referring to the left handed one right? You know that all the Vdrives are now (after 96') are using the left handed ones? I assume that's what you meant by your comment.

Yes the left handed semi metric one

Yes on both counts. Thanks for jumping in, Tony. Neglected to mention the running change made in '96.

Brad, righto on the metric, though it is not "semi." The wrench is either metric or it's not. Adjustable, however, is different altogether.

Wrench? I don't think I have one. Could you please describe it and what it might do. Tease.gif

I do have a hammer thingy and some pincher dodad. The pinchers work on bolts and nuts as well as any kind of screw heads. The whacker thingy works on anything and everything else. Bash.gif