Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

gotta love 105 degree days and vinyl discoloration

bamabonners

The factory black cover will discolor darker color vinyl. Happened to me as well but all around the gunwale. I can tell you after talking with Malibu, vinyl maker and the cover manufacture no one knows why it happens. It isn't the glue being used because it would happen to all colors. My guess is the reaction comes from the black material used in the OEM black towing cover from Malibu creating intense heat and the darker vinyl reacts. I've not heard problems from Sunbrella fabrics causing the same issue. I've put towels under the black cover and even had them try a sewn in white material under the black OEM cover, all still produce the discoloration albeit less. 303 has nothing to do with it as I hadn't 303'd my boat for weeks prior to mine occurring. Once this happens it will continue and mine started dark and faded but never totally gone and gets worse every time until it doesn't go away. This is why most dealers are ordering the gray cover. After a couple of seasons with the gray cover I haven't had an issue even towing for several hours in 105+ degree heat. One thing that is interesting in the new gray cover it does have felt inside the cover over the rear doors. So while the gray cover may not look as good color wise it does solve the problem.

I have it starting to appear on my white vinyl in the bow area, where the cover does not touch.

Ya, same here it occurred in areas that directly touched the cover or within a few inches or it.

I am seeing it on the white vinyl in the bow and over the rear lockers - both where the cover contacts the vinyl and where it does not - I do have a black cover and it does have white material stitched inside in a couple of areas. The discoloration does go away when left uncovered in the sun but it does return when covered. I am hoping the damage is not permanent as my dealer is possibly suggesting a diffferent cover. Hope to know more soon and will share what I learn.

it appears the OP bamabonners has a blue cover and it is happening on the white fabric..

I am not going to be happy if my brand new V-ride does this. one of the reasons i just spent $1100 on a sunbrella cover the goes over the tower so it stays far away from the cushions except for the very back deck pads... It has been 114 and my house for the past 4 days. I hope this works.

My opinion is Malibu definitely knows what the problem is and does not want to openly admit to it.

They are not going to spend all this money to fix the issues and not spend time to know why. After hearing all the examples of them replacing it for free, they must have spent much more than hundreds of thousands of dollars on this issue. And that to me shows that they are a reputable company.

I am sure there's no cost effective solution and the solution costs too much to implement and it's cheaper to fix it one by one than to pay for a recall. I am really surprised that newer boats do it and they continue to not fix the issue or openly communicate the issue and how to minimize it. No heavy or thick or dark covers on in hot climate. Seems like a simple statement in user manual.

The fact that Malibu introduces themselves to a thread on this and would not comment on it shows that they are hiding the truth and not comfortable about speaking about it.

And for those that want to argue that they don't know why. Well this issue has been arounds for how many years ? If a boat dealer can't debug an issue like this within one year and they are selling a $80k boat then they should not be in this business. All it takes is a couple of engineers and a management team that knows how to drive issues to closure. They know why.,,,

Edited by JoeMama
Bud's Centurion does the same thing. I wonder if it's a good idea to put something between the cover and the vinyl when storing the boat in the sun with the cover on.

On our factory cover we used to use white towels on the sun pad to prevent this from happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It has happened to my white vinyl on the rear pads as well as the top of the bow side cushions. I have a black factory Sunbrella cover made by Great Lakes.

Just wanted to let people know that it happens with Sunbrella fabric as well. A lot of people suggest an Evolution cover which is also Sunbrella, so I don't think that is the answer.

Happened to our's on the back sun pad, and the bow cushions (area that the cover does not touch). After a good half-full day in the sun it was good as new. This has been an issue since '06 that I know of. It doesn't bother me too much as long as the sun gets rid of it quickly. It still shouldn't be happening in the first place, though.

The same thing happen to my 05 Malibu. It was a glue issue and Malibu replaced the skins for me. Talk to your dealer.

I've not heard problems from Sunbrella fabrics causing the same issue.

I have a non-factory Sunbrella cover (black) and it discolors my vinyl as well. The vinyl is off-white and grey. Both colors are affected by this, but the darker grey seems worse. Like others, after I remove the cover and have the boat out in the sun, the problem largely goes away.

I have two covers- one white (trailerable- not Sunbrella) and dark blue one snap on (Sunbrella). They will both cause some yellowish spots to show up, but only the dark blue one casues the purple color, so it appears that there is some color transfer involved.

I have it on my white but not the grey upholstery. I have a black cover. I now put a thick white towel on the area that is discolored (top does come in contact with boat) The towel has stopped the discoloration from reappearing. i called my local dealer about the situation a few moments ago because I lost my cover in a storm and need a new one. My dealer insists that cover are only black... no other colors available.... time for a new dealer!!!

Update: I have been on travel and have not had time to contact my dealer except through texts. They did say the warranty work was in and being looked at by malibu.

My previous Chaparral never had this problem and it was half the price. What's up with that?

My 2011 has the same issue right now, kept it outside today with cover on at 92 degree heat and the sundeck is red

• 2 weeks later...

I had my 03 in the parking lot for a week in 105+ waiting to be serviced and I noticed when I picked up the boat sunpad was red/pink. I have a black sunbrella cover and my vinyl is white/gray It is in another shop (indoors) but I am going to post photos when I get it back next week

I am super anal about my interior and won't stop researching until I find the cause and the solution to fix what is happening. I don't want to replace the skins only to have it happen all over again. I appreciate everyone sharing info here.

Does anyone know what is the glue used at Malibu? and has it changed at anytime? I know when I built my speaker pods and used a carbon fiber fabric to wrap them. I found out the 3M Super adhesive was not good in heat situations and to use a product called V&S Foam and fabric adhesive. I bought the adhesive to re-wrap them, but haven't used it yet.

• 11 months later...

I am new to the wakesetter family just purchasing a used 23' LSV a week ago. My boys spend about 8 hours cleaning the boat as the prior owner had not kept it up. It was looking almost new when we took it out. It did not come with snap covers and out prior Rinker had them. I have a preference for those over the travel cover that came with the boat. I had custom Sumbrella snap covers made and brought it home from the shop at 11:30. It sat outside until we unsnapped it to load gear and go at 4:30 that afternoon. It was a hot day near 100 and I had the stains you all are talking about where the snap touched the front of the bow and on the very back part of the sun deck. I assumed it was the cover and I was ready to have a tough conversation with the canvas shop. Now I am preplexed - I'd really like to clean them off as the 04' looked brand new. Vinyl cleaner didn;t touch it. Any other suggestions? Thanks to all you Crew members... I had a another post on a different topic and the response was great

Happy boating!

Wakesetter,

If the stains are a reddish/purple color it's a common issue with Malibu boats. It appears to be a off-gassing issue with the adhesive and foam that is used. Usually a couple of hours or full day in the sun without the cover and the stains will disappear. It seems to happen somewhat less on lighter colored covers but my '02 with a blue snap on cover will still do it where the cover touches it in certain areas.

I'd say the stains are more a brown/light brown. We will be boating the better part of the week in the sun so we'll see what that does to the vinyl. Appreciate the thoughts but it still bums me out.

They will come out when after a few hours in the sun. It sucks, but nothing we can do about it. Cover isn't the issue. I spent thousands on new cover and never resolved the issue. Finally, Malibu replaced some of the skins.