Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

gotta love 105 degree days and vinyl discoloration

bamabonners

This cannot be moisture related. I left the boat completely open for 3 days in 100+ heat - all cushions removed, all items removed from boat, and all compartments open. This boat is bone dry. I cover it for one day and this happens:

subpad1.jpg

subpad2.jpg

Edited by bamabonners

Thanks Ndawg, it makes me feel better knowing that Malibu will replace it. However, it would really irritate me if it is trully a problem with glue that Malibu hasn't fixed.

If it was truly a glue issue, wouldn't areas that the cover did not touch turn as well? I can't believe the rest of the interior would not hear up and this issue occur only where the cover touches. I 10 years, my 02 vlx never did this, but my new bu does. It has to be vinyl or cover issues

Bud's Centurion does the same thing. I wonder if it's a good idea to put something between the cover and the vinyl when storing the boat in the sun with the cover on.

Bud's Centurion does the same thing. I wonder if it's a good idea to put something between the cover and the vinyl when storing the boat in the sun with the cover on.

If I was using a cover, I'd definitely put some towels between the cover and seats.

I'm not sure the towel would do enough though. IIRC from past threads, this discoloration is from adhesive weeping up through pores in the vinyl once it's heated. The capillary effect would be the same with a towel on a hot day as it is with the cover I'd think. What I was thinking might make more sense would to put something on top of the sundeck pads to prop the cover up enough that it doesn't come into contact with the vinyl at all.

Left it uncovered this morning and the stain is almost gone (much cooler day here today, only expected to get to 93. Was low 80s this morning). Weird thing is, if you look in the top picture in the corner of the sunpad you can see a whitish mark. Feeling around with my fingers I have determined that the mark is where the foam has a seam in the corner. This purplish redish stuff must be from something under the vinyl. I think the glue is a good place to start.

Actually, looking inside the boat, I can see this on other panels as well - the very top facing portions. Must be where the heat is greatest. I will be on travel for most of July, hopefully, Malibu can get it fixed then.

Edited by bamabonners

Keep an eye on your dash pads also. You may eventually see where Malibu wrote the 4 numbers of the VIN on the underside of the upholstery panels before they sewed them together. My dash pads are ebony and it even bled thru those.

What color is your cover? Maybe a giant space-blanket tarp is in order as an over-cover of sorts for the hot days. It'll look like chit and your neighbors will hate the reflections I'm sure but it might keep your 'bu safe...

also, leave it uncovered in the sun, and it disappears. it is from the foam backing under the vinyl

We did this when this happened on our boat and it worked. you can barely see where there was discoloration now. Not perfect but it did clear up alot

If I was using a cover, I'd definitely put some towels between the cover and seats.

We did this and have since seen hotter days and the vinyl has not discolored again. We used white towels

I'm not entirely sure it comes from the cover. I just replaced my 3 rear sundeck panels due to this issue. I tried the whole towel between the vinyl and black cover, the staining still occurs. I just started to get it on the top of my bow seat back panels and the cover comes no where near the vinyl in the bow. The guy that replaced my panels said it was the glue from the foam padding wicking up and staining the vinyl. He put plastic sheets between the padding and vinyl when he repaired mine. Hopefully he is right and it does not come back.

Edited by VLXRonnie

I noticed in some factory tour videos that some boat makers put the plastic sheets in the cushions. I wonder why Malibu doesn't do that. Seems to make sense, but I am not an upholstery maker so I don't know.

Preston my 07 does the same thing. It will fade over time. I never could get malibu to cover it under warrenty but I hope you do.

When you get back from travel give me a shout and we'll hit the lake.

Rob

Preston my 07 does the same thing. It will fade over time. I never could get malibu to cover it under warrenty but I hope you do.

When you get back from travel give me a shout and we'll hit the lake.

Rob

Thanks Rob! :cheers:

I'm not entirely sure it comes from the cover. I just replaced my 3 rear sundeck panels due to this issue. I tried the whole towel between the vinyl and black cover, the staining still occurs. I just started to get it on the top of my bow seat back panels and the cover comes no where near the vinyl in the bow. The guy that replaced my panels said it was the glue from the foam padding wicking up and staining the vinyl. He put plastic sheets between the padding and vinyl when he repaired mine. Hopefully he is right and it does not come back.

My 06 also stained bad this year after 850+ hours and never doing it that bad. Had 1 day with black cover and it stained the rear upper surface of the bow side cushions bad. Was very hot when removing cover but it does not come anywhere close to touching in that area. Dis appearedwith sun exposure.

I have a 2011 VLX and mine is doing this also. I first noticed it this past weekend when I removed the cover after having the boat sit outside in the sun for 2-3 days. The boat is typically stored inside and I have never had a problem before now when put away slightly wet or completely dry. The boat is currently sitting outside waiting on some other work to be completed by my dealer before returning to inside storage. The stains I found Saturday morning did mostly go away after several hours of sun exposure that day, however, even after I made sure the boat was completely dry before putting the cover back on Saturday evening, today I have red vinyl discoloration again. Disturbing, I am contacting my dealer about this today.

I should have known better. 100+ heat, dropped the boat off at the dealer for a service issue and the boat got left out cooking. 2006 XTi, never had the stain thing happen. Looks just like bamabonners' pics. Does the sun exposure method work? Anything else to try? Did Malibu re-skin the effected areas? Thanks.

In regard to Fman's postulate of vinyl protectant, i had just the day before 303'd. Not out to flame 303, just what I did. 303'd for years, so not sure if it could have been that transit of Venus thing a couple of weeks ago.