Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

To Cover...or Not to Cover

cavl41

Hi everyone...I am a soon to be newbie. Getting my first VLX delivered on Saturday. VERY excited. The current owner, the marina that I had check out the boat and the transporter ALL recommended that it be shipped without the cover for fear of bleeding or marks being left on the boat. I've read similar threads here in the past. Boat is traveling overnight 700 miles. What to do?

martinarcher

Is it making the trip in a single day? What does the weather look like?

If the cover is at all decent I would have it shipped with the cover and have the gunnel of the boat wrapped in several layers of saran wrap to protect from scratches in transit where the cover meets the hull. I had my boat shipped 2k miles with the cover and it was fine, but it did come with an Evolution cover. :biggrin:

Avoid towing with the cover.

Agreed. A bit of rain / road grime can likely be cleaned cheaper and easier than fiberglass damage caused by a rubbing cover.

Towed to Shasta last year (7 hours from here) without cover based on dealer recommendation and reading folks feedback here. Even though it seemed to be 50/50 for people using cover or not.

Anyway: Trip down was fine but I was horrified on the way back as it rained super hard and the spray from big rigs pelting the boat and made it a huge mess.

So for our recent trip when rain was in the forecast we towed with cover but used plastic wrap (a tip I read here) to cover areas where the cover would rub and could scratch. My wife was smart enough to go to a UPS store and get wrap from them as it is cheap, strong, and a lot wider than saran wrap.

Anyway, 425 mile trip each way I don't see any evidence of damage. I have a 2012 VLX with factory cover.

We allways tow our 07 VLX with the cover on. I have towed it 3000 miles this summer with no evidence of damage. The trick is I keep the cover and the boat both very clean.

I am not sure if our aussie coveres are different to the US ones, but mine only flaps a little around the windscreen other than that its very still.

Cheers

Stewart

If your boat is clean and the cover is tight where it meets the hall there will be no scratches. I had a 2009 VLX black with 10,000 miles of trailering with the cover on. No scratches I've currently upgraded to a 2012 with an evolution cover and have approximately 700 miles towing with no scratches

Towed to Shasta last year (7 hours from here) without cover based on dealer recommendation and reading folks feedback here. Even though it seemed to be 50/50 for people using cover or not.

Anyway: Trip down was fine but I was horrified on the way back as it rained super hard and the spray from big rigs pelting the boat and made it a huge mess.

So for our recent trip when rain was in the forecast we towed with cover but used plastic wrap (a tip I read here) to cover areas where the cover would rub and could scratch. My wife was smart enough to go to a UPS store and get wrap from them as it is cheap, strong, and a lot wider than saran wrap.

Anyway, 425 mile trip each way I don't see any evidence of damage. I have a 2012 VLX with factory cover.

:plus1:

That is exactly what I do and also how we tow the boats from the boat shows in the winter. Works great. I even leave the cover on after the trip and give it a quick pressure wash. Pull the cover off and you are good to go.

Edited by Malibuzer

I tow with a Rankin cover on all the time. Keeps our camping gear in place & the boat interior dry. Never had a problem.

That said, I would hope that someone familiar with boat covers would be installing it, maybe even showing the driver how it's done. I imagine it's not a task that everyone will understand if their not familiar with it. And if it were installed incorrectly, I imagine those metal clasps would wreck a boat doing 70 mph in a hurry, with or without Saran Wrap.

I made it a rule never tow with a cover.....even the towable ones. It never fails a strap comes loose and you get cover slap that dulls and wears on the gel coat. Whats the worst that will happen? Your boat will get wet??

Last summer I towed from TX to WI and back, ~2,500 miles. We did it without a cover and all was well. We're doing it again this summer, and I'm thinking I'm going to cover if the weather looks bad, but still undecided. Definatly going to use stretch wrap. We use it at work and buy from uline. You may want to check it out. The dispenser is invaluable. http://www.uline.com/Grp_60/Stretch-Wrap-Rolls

Always tow with the Evolution cover if it is more than to the local lake - 20 minutes. The key as everyone is noting is proper installation and preparation (in the case of plastic wraps) and tighening / strapping the cover on correctly, and watching it in your mirror periodically to make sure all is good. Towing with covers is not just set and forget.

• Like 2

If it was just rain falling on the boat I'd say its not a big deal but its all the grime from the road that gets kicked up by your car and other cars.

Short distances and good weather yeah who cares leave the cover off, but you dont want to be caught in a rainstorm for a couple hours with no cover IMO.

• Like 1

So, OP are you buying it from the guy in post #3? Based on all that feedback you guys should be able to work it out.

I'd say no cover if rain is not likely. Make that final call shortly before pick up. If rain is likely then wrap it, cover it, and strap it.

Or...it's only 700 miles...ROAD TRIP!! I'd grab a buddy, load up on Mountain Dew and Cheetos, and go get it myself and know it was done how I wanted it.

Just did a 700 mile round trip with the cover on (custom canvas cover, snaps are in the bottom of the rub rail, previous owner had it done). No marks on the boat at all, no issues. Had the same setup on my last boat, always towed with the cover and again, zero issues.

Edited by Nitrousbird

Thanks everyone...sounds like the jury is out. Weather forecast for the route is good so far. Looks like a last minute decision. Let you know Saturday when it arrives.

Again...Thanks