Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2012 Monsoon overheating

Hello Crew,

New poster here, thought I would stop lurking and see who else is having the same problem we are. We have a really nice 2012 Response TXi that has developed manifold overheating issues. I was driving when it first happened - I smelled the odor of burning rubber and shut it down. Engine temp was good but the starboard exhaust manifold was HOT. Checked the intake screen on the hull, ball valve position, impeller, screen on the front of the trans cooler, all were OK. Pulled off all the hoses (two at a time) going to the manifolds on both sides and water flow seemed symmetrical and normal coming out of the pump. At that point it went to the dealer. Indmar sent them an update kit for some fittings on the manifold but that didn't fix the problem.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I'm hoping that if this is an issue with boats other than ours someone has already figured it out. Thanks in advance!

I had a similiar problem with my new Txi. We burned through the starboard exhaust hose at 2.4 hours. Limped back to the dock and put it back on the lift. Dealer fixed the problem by changing both exhaust dumps which are the turndowns just after the manifolds. The issue is that the cooling passage is not big enough to get enough water through the dumps into the exhaust hoses. We ended up changing both dumps and exhaust hoses after we found the port hose was getting ready to go through as well. Before we went through the hose, I could smell burning rubber but couldn't tell where it was coming from. According to the dealer, they have only seen this issue on direct drives. My guess is that this is because many direct drives don't have the silent rider exhaust where as many v-drives do and maybe the problem doesn't occur with the silent riders systems. We now have over 10 hours on the boat and haven't had any issues at all since the exhaust dumps were changed. The difference in the cooling passage in the old dumps vs the new dumps was substantial. I would almost guarantee that this is your issue.

@BlastRLXi - thanks for the info - that sure does sound like the same thing! I couldn't figure out where the burning rubber smell was coming from either but the stickers melted off the right side of the engine. It also sounds like what the dealer has already tried unsuccessfully. Hope they figure it out soon. BTW nice boat. Blue and white has always been a favorite.

@CumminsBu - I have to admit that I didn't check the plug wires but the boat didn't seem to be misfiring or down on power... although you can certainly make a cat really hot without having a totally dead hole.

@BlastRLXi - thanks for the info - that sure does sound like the same thing! I couldn't figure out where the burning rubber smell was coming from either but the stickers melted off the right side of the engine. It also sounds like what the dealer has already tried unsuccessfully. Hope they figure it out soon. BTW nice boat. Blue and white has always been a favorite.

@CumminsBu - I have to admit that I didn't check the plug wires but the boat didn't seem to be misfiring or down on power... although you can certainly make a cat really hot without having a totally dead hole.

Thanks for the compliment on the boat. i would make sure that the dealer changed the exhaust dumps and not other fittings. If you are talking about the two stickers on top of the intake manifold that say Monsoon 350 (or something like that), the same thing happened to me. I assume it was from hot exhaust under the motor box. The engine temp never went above 160 and the manifolds were cool enough that I could put my hand on each one for a few seconds. Since the exhaust dumps were changed, the boat has run great.

I have a TXI too. 40 hours on it. I have problems with my engine too. Service required all the time... don't know what's wrong. The operatin rpm should be 5200 - 5600 rpm. (L96 410hp). My engine only turns up to 5150... Does anyone have same problems? I think the problem could be the fuel pump...

Greetings from Switzerland

But in Switzerland, there are some rules for a matriculation of a boat. They check the noise between 5200 - 5600 rpm. This was the problem with this boat... still no matriculation :(