Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Can't exceed 11mph with wedge down and rear ballast full

I recently purchased a 2006 Sunscape 23LSV and last week had a Malibu dealer add 2 rear 750lb fat sacs. I don't have a power wedge so every time I put the wedge down I lock it into position. When I fill both sacs and have the wedge down for wakeboarding I can't exceed 14mph and won't plane out. When I am trying to surf and fill one sac with the wedge down I can't exceed 11mph. Any ideas?

I bet he has the 330/350. I have seen 23's witht he 350 get stuck at around 2500-3000lbs or so total ballast, and couldnt get over 8mph to surf..

You didnt talk about factory ballast.... does your boat have hard tanks beneath the floor in addiiton to the sacs you mentioned?

where are you at, what altitude?

Sounds like someone needs to call OJ or ACME and get a much meaner torque prop, but your top speed will be limited to around 33-35mph.

Sorry I have the Vortec 8100 so I should have plenty of power. My boat didn't have any ballast before I added the fat sacs. As for the prop I don't know. I am thinking it isn't the best for towing because I have a top speed of about 53mph with it.

I'm waiting for a call back so I can get the numbers off the hub. My Malibu dealer suggests changing the fuel filter and spark plugs and is saying the prop shouldn't matter much....does that sound right?

I would think something else is wrong besides just the prop... he should be able to get up on plane with 1500lbs, even if its propped a little too high.

But if the boat is running well, does 53MPH, but gets stuck with 1500lbs... yep you need a much bigger prop.

For what its worth I have a '07 23lsv with the 350/340 monsoon. I am having similar problems the boat will do an easy 45 mph in choppy water even. However, with a surf sack, full factory ballast plus wedge & a few friends it cant hold 11 mph for anything. Its constantly around 9 or 10. Paul at bakes marine suggested the acme 1235 so i think Im gonna give that a try. I was also looking at the 1979? Or something like that. I will let you guys know how it works out. I am a little concerned about top. Speed with the 1235 as we do ski a decent amount. Anyone out there with that set up know what my top speed should be like?

chain, the 537 is the steepest prop available from factory. That is why youre getting 45 with a monsoon in a 23. Keep in mind most vdrives of other brands hardly touch 40. If skiing a priority, you can still ski a 1235 though RPMS will eb up. In a 23 foot boat, you will see a HUGE change in performance with a shallower prop.

I would think something else is wrong besides just the prop... he should be able to get up on plane with 1500lbs, even if its propped a little too high.

But if the boat is running well, does 53MPH, but gets stuck with 1500lbs... yep you need a much bigger prop.

If the boat is hitting 53, it might not be propped a little too high, you might be propped WAY too high. Even if you have a 537, which is unlikely if youre getting a legitimate 53, the 1235 is still a pretty big swing at it. Roughly about 15% less pitch. If speed and efficiency still important I'd try the 1939 too.

ACME 2315 is the prop to use for that application.

The 2245 only performs well on big block engines, any small block will struggle to see much of a performance improvement over a four blade.

I'm really surprised so many people have issues with the 537 with a heavy load. With 1700 lbs of ballast, wedge down, and 8 people in our 2001 VLX (Monsoon 325), we have no problems surfing at 11 MPH whatsoever and have a nice solid wave. Maybe it's attributable to the Diamond hull being more efficient???

For what its worth I have a '07 23lsv with the 350/340 monsoon. I am having similar problems the boat will do an easy 45 mph in choppy water even. However, with a surf sack, full factory ballast plus wedge & a few friends it cant hold 11 mph for anything. Its constantly around 9 or 10. Paul at bakes marine suggested the acme 1235 so i think Im gonna give that a try. I was also looking at the 1979? Or something like that. I will let you guys know how it works out. I am a little concerned about top. Speed with the 1235 as we do ski a decent amount. Anyone out there with that set up know what my top speed should be like?

Chain- for what its worth, I have been on an 2007, same motor as yours, and exact same situation, boat would cavitate much anything north of 2500lbs same as you described. You get that OJ tractor prop everyone talks about and your problems will be solved. It memory serves correctly, folks were still getting 37-39ish with that prop and it was like a F350 dually out of the hole even under surf loads.

I hope so. The OJ prop you mentioned would be similar to the acme 1235 then right? If it's got that much pull out of the hole I am certain my wife will be complaining about how hard I hit the gas when she's back there. Oh well

are you just dumping the throttle or easing into it?

I have an 06 with the 383, which means you have more power than I do. With an 817 prop (most pitch you can get on these) I could still pull up boarders without difficulty with all tanks full, wedge down, 1200 lb fat sac in the middle and 5 people on board. However, if I dumped it, it would cavitate like mad and take longer to come up.

BTW - someone once posted a GPS test showing that there was basically no way to get our hulls over 50mph. you might GPS check that speedo reading.

If you load down the back of the boat too much, it's not a surprise that you don't get on plane, even with a 1235 or similar prop. I have the OJ fusion prop and I usually have to fill a nose bag to get on plane with any efficiency. I usually only fill my rear locker 750s about half to 3/4 full. If you're going to fill those 750s in the back full, then I would add a nose bag and NO wedge. I have a feeling you will like the results. Here is a video where we are running full factory, 750s at 3/4 and about 700 in the bow.