Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Beginner wakeboarder

jetskipro550

I've been skiing on a single since 9 ( never did 2 ) had a boat all my life , tried to teach my 3 kids to ski for years... finally was out w/ a buddy who wakeboarded... his wife taught me and 2 kids ( oldest doesnt ski /camp ) in the first day... very patient / calm ... i was hooked from then on ( being in my 40's skiing was killing me ;) ) since then, i've taught kids down to 6yo... one person and patient is the key :) take youre time and enjoy. Same w/ surfing....I couldnt teach my wife to breath ;) let someone else doit ;)

gl

I tried on 4 or 5 outings to learn on a boat without a tower. I wanted to do it so bad, I strained my arms so bad I couldnt hold a beer for two days. Frustrated.gif (yeah, that bad). On my first attempt behind my Malibu I got up.

Those who say a tower doesn't make much difference are wrong, wrong, wrong. Tease2.gif

DITTOS, I tried several times with my old boat (glastron Crazy.gif ) when I got to the BU I learned in one day.

Have someone else teach her - pay them, or whatever you haveta do. Nothing good comes from trying to teach her.

You shouldn't drive either. Just be in the boat, taking pictures and giving careful support. Anything you say or do will be used against you while she tries to learn Yes.gif

Amen, been there done that! My wife seemed to do better under some one else's guidance!

I tried on 4 or 5 outings to learn on a boat without a tower. I wanted to do it so bad, I strained my arms so bad I couldnt hold a beer for two days. Frustrated.gif (yeah, that bad). On my first attempt behind my Malibu I got up.

Those who say a tower doesn't make much difference are wrong, wrong, wrong. Tease2.gif

I have a tip for ya zz...try getting up on the wakeboard without the beer in your hand... :lol:

Edited by gooddog

I have a tip for ya zz...try getting up on the wakeboard without the beer in your hand... :lol:

I sure wish someone would have told me that two years ago... Biggrin.gif

shorten the rope to approx 20/30ft(6/9mtr) behind the boat,let her keep the rail of the board almost under water(that only works if you have the boat in gear) now VERY GENTLY (almost a walking speed)pull her out and don,t go faster than 18 miles or so,...normally a beginner will cut to the left or right depending on wich stand she/he rides.so do not worry about the rooster tail.

99% of our beginners will ride after a few starts.I always let them ride for about 5 minutes and enjoy the smile,then do the start again to let them get used to the feeling....now it is time for a 55ft rope lenght..and do the same again,do not go faster than 20!!.After that you can begin to teach the real technics etc etc.i always do this on a 70 ft line so they have more space between the wakes before crossing the wakes.

REMEMBER!!!

Rule nr 1 do not shout at the beginner,just talk normal she/he is only 20 ft away.

Rule nr 2 let one person do the talking,if more people are shouting tips and how to info she/he will forget 80% of it.

Rule nr 3 this one is specially for male riders,...do not fight the force of the boat,men think they need muscle power get get up on their board......as we know already..you don,t..let them stay small for a longer period of time before standing up.

Be Patience and cheer her/him up now and then.

Tip for the driver...take a good look at a drifting board if you feel somebody is going to catch the rail of the board with a smashing faceplant as a result of it,stop the boat and give a tip on how to keep the hips straight and only turn the shoulders to the boat.

this is how we do it.

good luck.

Edited by BenBu