Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine nearly stalls coming off the throttle?

Sometimes, when coming off the throttle, my engine seems like it wants to stall and sometimes will stall. Again, this is intermittent yet annoying nonetheless. I changed cap, rotor, plugs, wires, and both fuel filters this spring so I have ruled them out so far. Boat is a 1997 SSLX with a Gen 1 Monsoon 320 TBI with about 720 hours. Can anyone point me in the right direction in terms of troubleshooting?

There's a possibility the IAC is not responding fast enough to catch the idle, but it can also be simple things like fuel.

Peter

Mine does the exact same thing inlandlaker. One of these day's I'm going to change the IAC. I think they can be found at auto parts places. Not sure how difficult they are to get at.

Steve B.

I was discussing this with a friend and we were thinking IAC. I would imagine that it could be a fuel issue. I'm going to double check the screen on the high pressure pump, but shy of that I'm not sure where to look unless I'm getting garbage fuel at the pump.

• 10 months later...

New season...same issue. I'll try pulling and cleaning the MAP sensor and see what that does.

Tonight, I went skiing and we shut the boat down to let another make a few passes. When starting, it didn't start as quickly as usual and ran a bit rough for a couple seconds before getting to normal. I didn't change the fuel filters this season however I plant to.

I'll update this when I clean the MAP sensor.

Kind of curious where your oil pressure level was at, at like one minute after the engine recovers at idle ? The reason I ask is, mine kinda shows the same symptoms, changed plugs, cap, etc. But when I changed to 20W 50 motor oil, I noticed return to idle was much better. This summer I will try higher octane, than regular to see if that helps too.

Steve B.

Interesting observation, Steve. I'll have to check that the next time I'm out. I have been using 20W 50 FWIW, though so I'll likely rule that out right now. I hope to get to the map sensor Sunday. Just not sure I'll be able to because I have to leave town Sunday afternoon for a business trip.....maybe late next week. In any case, I'll use this thread to update my findings.

Here is a few part numbers I came across when dealing with my surge problem last year on my 99 VLX w/325 monsoon:

MAP sensor - Ac Delco 213-796 or Autozone - SU1078

IAC sensor - 20871 or 17113209 Advance Auto - CV10011 or 31023 Autozone - AC142NAPA - CRB220177

These may not work for yours, but where identical to the ones I pulled off mine.

Here is a few part numbers I came across when dealing with my surge problem last year on my 99 VLX w/325 monsoon:

MAP sensor - Ac Delco 213-796 or Autozone - SU1078

IAC sensor - 20871 or 17113209 Advance Auto - CV10011 or 31023 Autozone - AC142NAPA - CRB220177

These may not work for yours, but where identical to the ones I pulled off mine.

Thanks for the information. Did these parts solve your problem?

Thanks for the information. Did these parts solve your problem?

The parts didn't solve my problem since it was my fuel pressure regulator but I had these on hand at the time just incase.