Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sub firing into walk thru

Tjay

Sub firing into walk thru. For those of you have done it or heard it, how does it sound? It would be a 12 ported and aimed to walk thru. The box would be in observer compartment but sub and port would fire out to walk thru. Would it be better to have the sub lower than port or higher than port? Would the port be better slightly towards the front or back boat(left or right of sub)? Either the port or sub will be close to ground level. I was thinkIng if port was low it might have more port noise?

My buddy did this on his mastercraft.

it actually sounded great, but his was sealed.

One small word of advice, it might not look awesome, but a cage around the sub in that area is a good investment.

He's had more then one destroyed from a very happy girl or a ski that was swung a little wrong.

Tjay,

At different regions of the bass bandwidth the higher frequency woofer output is more dominant and the lower frequency port output is more dominant. The port will be more impacted by being very close to the sole than the woofer because the port surface area is often less and the velocity is greater. Placing a port against a plane or in a corner serves to marginally lengthen the port. If you have a couple of 4-inch ports four inches or more off the sole then I would completely discount any impact.

If the port is large enough to reduce the velocity at higher volume levels then port noise will not be an issue either. But smaller parts are typically noisy.

There are quite a few I/Os that give you no other option than the pass through wall. If that is all the boat gives you then take what the boat dictates. It is far better to exhaust a woofer and port into the pass through rather than having the enclosure concealed in a compartment without adequate venting to the outside. That scenario is particularly hard on the bass musicality. Subs will still hit but are very inarticulate.

The best option is for a subwoofer/port to radiate directly into the cockpit area from the cockpit side and from under the helm console. This way the bass radiation uses the perimeter of the cockpit to focus the woofer's output more in that area. When loading into the pass through half the radiation dissipates into the bow side which lessens the intensity in the cockpit.

David

Tjay,

At different regions of the bass bandwidth the higher frequency woofer output is more dominant and the lower frequency port output is more dominant. The port will be more impacted by being very close to the sole than the woofer because the port surface area is often less and the velocity is greater. Placing a port against a plane or in a corner serves to marginally lengthen the port. If you have a couple of 4-inch ports four inches or more off the sole then I would completely discount any impact.

If the port is large enough to reduce the velocity at higher volume levels then port noise will not be an issue either. But smaller parts are typically noisy.

There are quite a few I/Os that give you no other option than the pass through wall. If that is all the boat gives you then take what the boat dictates. It is far better to exhaust a woofer and port into the pass through rather than having the enclosure concealed in a compartment without adequate venting to the outside. That scenario is particularly hard on the bass musicality. Subs will still hit but are very inarticulate.

The best option is for a subwoofer/port to radiate directly into the cockpit area from the cockpit side and from under the helm console. This way the bass radiation uses the perimeter of the cockpit to focus the woofer's output more in that area. When loading into the pass through half the radiation dissipates into the bow side which lessens the intensity in the cockpit.

David

thanks David for the input on port location. I only have one 4" port so I will locate it above and to the rear of sub so that is will lesson any impact on port. That will keep port 15 inches +/- from floor. sub will be 2-3 inches from floor.

As far as protection, do they make a cover (not the ugly coarse mesh w/clips) that would be a little larger than sub to cover cut out? Something that doesnt look tacky? Or is a custom fabric style grill my only option? I know they have the grilles that mount to the same sub mounting holes. but that wont help trim out the hole around sub.

Edited by Tjay

Tjay,

Speaker cloth looks great in the beginning but in a boat over a large area can stretch, sag and look a little worn after a while.

Without seeing photos of your boat, a typical approach might be to make a birch trim ring that follows the outside idexing of the console. So the shape might follow the boat and not necessarily be symmetrical. Radius the interior and exterior edges and wrap the birch picture frame with a vinyl that matches the seats or other coaming uphostery. Rabbet the interior opening from behind to facilitate either an aluminum or ABS perforated pattern mesh insert. This way the trim panel will still set flush against the surface. Maybe use a fine and a contrasting color vinyl piping around the perimeter to provide an accent if piping is already used in the boat. In the end you would be trying to create a vent that would simulate a trim panel that surrounds a typical pass through pocket.

David