Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ballast plan

mali_vride

I want to weight our v-ride but dont want it to sit to low in the water or consume to much more gas. I am thinking of doing two 350 pounders in the back storage comparments and 1 350 in the bow with the stock 500 center and the wedge. I am a intermediate wakeboarder, wakeskater, wakesurfing. Do you guys think this is a good set up for what i want to do?

Well what is your stock ballast setup?

Ride the stock setup, add ballast as needed, for wakesurfing lots of ballast in the back.

Well what is your stock ballast setup?

Ride the stock setup, add ballast as needed, for wakesurfing lots of ballast in the back.

My stock is the center 500lbs with the wedge.

so yeah getting some mid sized fat sacs for the back locker would be a good idea, like a 300 range would give you a little bit of a steeper wake. Then for wakesurfing bring one of the sacs over to the surf side locker.

if you don't have the stock tanks in the back, I would add 550/600lb sacs in the rear. They fit fine and you have the flexibility to completely fill them or not. You'll need that 350lber for the bow too, maybe more.

Edited by mcdave

I'm finalizing my order for a v-ride right this week, but plan to add the two 750lb pro x sacs to the back and a sac for bow too.

I won't be filling the sacs all the way up when boarding, but will fill the surf side up when wakesurfing. This way everything will be plumbed in and I won't have to fill extra sacs in the back for surfing.

i have also been debating what kind of ballast set-up to go with on my v-ride...i ordered the boat with the rear ballast tanks and wedge...how important is the bow ballast? and how much additional ballast will i need on the "surf" side of the boat for wakesurfing?

Hi Ya'll - we just moved from socal to Texas, so just getting used to the "salutations" here in the south.

Just got an 06 V-Ride and haven't bought the sacs yet, but have been looking around on various forums for tips and ideas.

I've been able to find the pocket fairly easily on a Landlock 5'11'' as well as my Rip Curl 6'8'' - but can't throw the rope in yet - can only hold the pocket for a sec or two. All this without fat sacs, just starboard side stock ballast full, middle ballast about 1/2 or 3/4 and the port ballast maybe 1/4 full. Have tried Wedge up and down as well. Speed between 9-11 mph -- 10ish seems to work best on my boat...

Thinking of getting 400lbs for the back strbd locker, and 500lbs for the seat behind driver. Then filling both back ballast tanks and middle ballast.

I'll be posting with various configs and letting ya know what seems to work.

BTW, have been surfing for 6+ years now and think wakesurfing is a blast (done it behind other boats). If you can't be near the ocean - might as well get your stoke somewhere! Yahoo.gif

Edited by smedman
i have also been debating what kind of ballast set-up to go with on my v-ride...i ordered the boat with the rear ballast tanks and wedge...how important is the bow ballast? and how much additional ballast will i need on the "surf" side of the boat for wakesurfing?

I think the bow / middle ballast is important if you can still have it put in. It will help get the boat lower in the water overall, and help the wake have a longer pocket. The more weight in the back, the steeper the wake, the more weight in the front, the longer (and shallower) it will be. But I think the key is finding the right balance. (I'm still trying to figure it out myself)

Some other general tips can be found at www.howtowakesurf.com

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Hi all,

I just got an email from a guy on the wakeworld.com forums that says he has had much success doing the following on his 05 V-Ride:

I fill the back hard tanks and the middle tanks. Then I usually put a 500# sack in the walk thru or in the bow. I also put a 500# sack in the locker on whatever side we are surfing on, then a 250# sack on top of that. If you bury it to the rub rail and drop the wedge you get a great wake. We usually have 3-4 people out on the boat also. For wakeboarding we keep the 500# in the walk thru and usually put a 250# in each locker and call it good.

Edited by smedman
Hi all,

I just got an email from a guy on the wakeworld.com forums that says he has had much success doing the following:

I fill the back hard tanks and the middle tanks. Then I usually put a 500# sack in the walk thru or in the bow. I also put a 500# sack in the locker on whatever side we are surfing on, then a 250# sack on top of that. If you bury it to the rub rail and drop the wedge you get a great wake. We usually have 3-4 people out on the boat also. For wakeboarding we keep the 500# in the walk thru and usually put a 250# in each locker and call it good.

Howdy and Welcome.gif

What part of the "Great State of Texas" do you call home?

Wow, we've got a few new people here. Welcome everyone!

For wakeboarding setup, you really should ride the stock setup & go from there. More weight in the front will make the wake rampier, more in the back will make it steeper. On ours the stock is as much as we want, but YMMV so play with it to see what you like best. Here's a good thread on what sacks to get for vdrives:

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....1892&hl=ballast

For surfing setup, we usually fill all of the stock tanks (bow, center & the rear side that we're surfing), + a sack in the locker of the side that we're surfing. With 600 lbs in that locker & 4 normal sized people in the boat you get a wave like the one pictured below. Of course the V-Ride will is on a different hull, but I've surfed an '03 VLX & you'll get similar results.

Edited by WakeGirl

Thanks all for the warm welcome! I'm in Austin "the heart of TX".

As soon as I get the set up I'll send some pics.

Stusumm, any recommended shops here in town that might carry Fly High? I'm wanting to get out this afternoon and tomorrow to take advantage of the warm weather.

My friend has an 03 wakesetter (same as vride) with stock ballast (tanks in back, wedge, center sack) we took out the hard tanks in the back and replaced them with 540lb sacks and the wake was MUCH bigger! It also made the surfing wake a lot bigger too. It definitly needed about 300lbs more to be added to the bow with all the extra weight in the back.

Stusumm, any recommended shops here in town that might carry Fly High? I'm wanting to get out this afternoon and tomorrow to take advantage of the warm weather.

Talk to Scott at the Ski Dock, 512-918-2628. I know he carries Fly High but not sure what's in stock.

Talk to Scott at the Ski Dock, 512-918-2628. I know he carries Fly High but not sure what's in stock.

Thanks man! picked them up a ski doc yesterday. They have several sacs and pumps in stock.

Thanks man! picked them up a ski doc yesterday. They have several sacs and pumps in stock.

Glad to help. Scott and the shop at the Ski Dock are the best.

i think i've been reading so much about ballast that i am confused at this point...on an '06 Vride with the rear hard tanks...will i have a problem if i add a ballast sack to the rear locker along side the hard tank? is there a limit as to how heavy i can go in that space?

Candle-Bu - in my 02 VLX (same basic configuration as an 05 v-Ride), I filled the center bag, and one rear tank (the side I'm surfing on), wedge down. Then I would put 2) 200lb sacks on the rear seat corner or on the floor (in the cabin area), depending on if people were in the boat or not. At around 10.5 MPH or so, it threw a good enough wake for me to go ropeless on a relatively short Broadcast board (and I'm 200+ lbs). I would experiment a bit, but it doesn't take all that much to make a pretty nice surf wake with that hull.

i think i've been reading so much about ballast that i am confused at this point...on an '06 Vride with the rear hard tanks...will i have a problem if i add a ballast sack to the rear locker along side the hard tank? is there a limit as to how heavy i can go in that space?

Hi Candle,

I just got the Pro X V-Drive sacs and Tsunami pump - tried it out on my 06 Vride this afternoon. WOW!!!

Yes, it is OK to put the sacs in the back lockers.

I had my wife and another couple and their 2 little kids on the boat, and just filled one sac in the back starboard locker right next to the hard tank. Huge difference with the sac. An actual surfable wave.

I'm thinking next time of putting the other sac in there (maybe half full). Would bring it to around 600lbs. Now I just need to get some more weight in the bow. We had the back and middle ballasts all full. Wedge down.

Get the pro x series fat sacs. I guarantee you will like!!!

In my 05' V-Ride, I have the stock center and rears, wedge, 600 lbs of sand in the rear lockers, 350 lbs of sand in the front under the seats...and if there is only a few of us out there, I add another 250 lbs sack in each locker, and another 500 lbs sack in the bow. All I have to say is damn. That is the wakeboarding setup for me. I drain the stock ballast for the wife, or for wakeskating. I haven't tried surfing yet, but I think we could figure something out.