Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rope in prop

Even though very cautious , cause of current got rope in prop. Took an hour of dives to get 95percent off. Started to Drive boat back to dock and seemed fine but noticed boat started to vibrate at 35 and could only max at 35 instead of 45.

So when on trailer got remaining 8 inches off and Some rope was a little in the shaft but got out with knife.

Haven't taken it out since. Can the boat get damaged this way if it's vibrating for a while? What would break?

In my case it only vibrated at 35 but at 5000 rpms and I only did it for like 30 seconds or so.

As a note, I was diving when tied next to dock and got disoriented And ended up under dock. Freaked me out and was confused and luckily came out on other side of dock. Luckily I was not parked closer to marina and not stuck under marina. Lesson learned and reminder to never do this near where you can get disoriented....

Well, that always is a drag. My *guess* is that you're ok. The vibration was likely from being out of balance and not long enough to hose things up at only 30 seconds. I would think if you kept at it with a bad vibration then you would risk screwing something up. Also, it's possible get other damage from that but I think a visual inspection will tell you if the gelcoat or anything was messed up by getting smacked with a rope.

If it was vibrating and down on speed, why on earth would you try to push it even faster until you were able to determine all was good under the boat? I just don't get it...

If there is no visiable damage to your prop, change it anyway, it only takes a VERY small amount of deflection in one or more of the blades to cause vibration, trust me I know, if that does not fix it I would next look at the shaft (I guess it is possiable the shaft is bent a little, but I kinda doubt it) I would think that maybe the shaft alighnment may be off

This of course is all moot if the vibration is gone the next time you take your boat out......good luck

Maybe it was more like 15 seconds but pretty much went slower once I determined vibration was not going away. I only had a vibration once before last year and when I slowed down and sped up again it went away. Theres a lot of crap in the delta where we boat. Did not think 8 inches of rope around a shaft would cause vibration.

Can't wait to go out and test it.

If it was vibrating and down on speed, why on earth would you try to push it even faster until you were able to determine all was good under the boat? I just don't get it...