Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

The best time to .....buy?

TheKiwi

I'm sure this thread has been done, in fact I spent 20 mins searching for it haha.

There seems to be so many opinions on when the best time to buy a boat is? I've always bought mine in the late winter or early spring when they are just sitting around gathering snow.

But lately, I've seen boat prices drop dramactically and its the start of the season! For example, around christmas I couldn't find a good 04 VLX for under $30k. Now I'm seeing 3 or 4 of them.

Any words of advice ?

Fall...... still a good selection of boats available & prices are down because no one wants to store he boat another winter.

Winter is a PITA because people don't want to unwinterize & then rewinterize the boat so you can test drive it. I would never be willing to NOT test drive it before I bought it. Plus the selection is down.

Spring & summer the prices are inflated because everyone wants on the water.

Fall...... still a good selection of boats available & prices are down because no one wants to store he boat another winter.

Winter is a PITA because people don't want to unwinterize & then rewinterize the boat so you can test drive it. I would never be willing to NOT test drive it before I bought it. Plus the selection is down.

Spring & summer the prices are inflated because everyone wants on the water.

I used to agree with this but it's really a different economy with lots of mitigating factors that pop up in people's life. I offered a guy a thousand less than his asking late last October (which was very fair) and right now the boat is listed for what I offered him last October.

The best time to buy, is when you see the boat you want for the price you want. I wouldn't let the time of season factor to much. Someone maybe wanting to jump to a new boat.

I have wondered this same thing! I am probably going to pull the trigger this off season, but my wife thinks I am crazy for looking now! We aren't quite ready as I still have to sell my I/O and save a little more for the down payment.

i find that right around xmas boats seem the cheapest. My old man gave me this advice "the only things you should ever finance are your house and anything to do with your business that will make you money".

I used to agree with this but it's really a different economy with lots of mitigating factors that pop up in people's life. I offered a guy a thousand less than his asking late last October (which was very fair) and right now the boat is listed for what I offered him last October.

Should offer him a thousand less!

I figured I'll throw in another question here......didn't the 2004 boats have the new wrap around windscreen? I'm looking at one advertised as an 04 but it has the support braces creating a 3/4 window on the side.

For used the best time to buy is when you find the perfect boat, in mint shape, for a steal of a price. The boat that you can't find any excuse not to buy. For new, between Christmas and New years, no one's buying boats then, and they need the numbers for years end.

When you have the money is the best time.

If I were looking used I wouldn't worry too much about the time of year as it is really about finding the boat that works best for you.

I bought mine in December. I was looking used (3 years old) and ended up getting new for within $2k of what I was seeing for used asking prices. The new boat had 8 hours on it and was a demo the dealer had used and wanted to get rid of it. Down side was I couldn't really customize the boat but it had all the options I wanted. It wasn't the colors I would have ordered but now I really like the color combo. The up side is since the dealer used on many weekends for demo everything worked perfect on the boat from day one.

In a seasonal climate many boats that may be for sale are not advertised in off season so often the choices can go down. For a used boat I like looking mid to late season.