Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Thin USCG life vest

Tyger

I'm looking to upgrade my Jet Pilot and I'd like to get the thinnest USCG approved jacket. I've found the O'Neill jackets and they look pretty good, plus a local retailer stocks them so I can try one on (which is a must - no sense having a thin jacket if it fits too loose).

Has anyone worn the Reactor and/or the Torque? They look decent, but O'Neill doesn't always consistent quality and there is a 2X price difference.

Looking for any other suggestions on a thin or compact jacket.

My current Jet Pilot is a side entry and I'm actually not a big fan.

TIA

I have loved my O'Neill Reactor and would highly recommend it. It is thin, lets me be mobile, but is USCG approved and provides some protection for my ribs.

I am on the 3rd or 4th year with mine and it still looks new.

Give it a look.

You are not going to find a "thin" USCG vest. I'd just try them on and see which fits the best. The ones that provide better mobility like the Ronix (above) and fancier O'neills are actually thicker due to the fact that the foam that is removed at the creases must be added elsewhere, thus making them a little thicker.

I'd say support your local retailer, with these huge internet companies its pretty hard for the little guys to stay afloat. You can try on the different Oneill's as see what feels the best.

Checkout the O'neill Revenge. Have four of them, everyone who rides with use loves em.

These are not USCG, right? I just wanted to be sure I'm not missing anything.

Ah, available in Comp and USCG. My local shop only carries the comp, apparently. Sorry.

Edited by Tyger

The O'neil Revenge comes in both USCG and Non-USCG approved. I have both versions and the USCG is so comfortable I rarely use the Non-USCG one since I know it will actually keep my head above water if I am hurt. The lumbar support in the Revenge is also really nice when you get a little tired.

Doh! you edited your post when I was typing mine.

Edited by Wayne
  • 2 weeks later...

I tried on the Revenge comp and really liked it. However, I wouldn't wear a comp without water testing it to make sure it would hold me up unconscious, even for surfing. I ordered a Revenge USCG and it seems great out of the water. Clearly bigger and one more strap than the Comp, but the size does not seem to be noticeable and the whole thing is very unobtrusive. I will trying it out today and will try to repost my thoughts.