Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help! New steering cable and steering is still rough

On my new to me '87 skier with 300 hours I replaced the steering cable as it was slightly tight. I took it out and it is still tight. I tried to move the rudder when it was disconnected it and it had tight spots and didn't move as easy as I would have expected. I thought well with a new cable and water going by it will be fine. It is not very fine. Could my rudder be bent slightly? If I re-pack the rudder box according Martin Archers sweet how to will that be enough? Also, can you add a zirc fitting to the older style by just drilling one and taping one in?

Thanks for supporting another newbie.

Brad

You should have smooth/even movement on the rudder. If you have 'tight' spots then I think you may want to pull it and have checked/straightend. They come out pretty easily and a prop shop should have it back to you same day.

Good luck.

The reason I suggest pulling it is you'll be able to lube it all and know for a fact what condition it is in. Do it right and completely the first time and you wont have to do it again.