Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bearing Buddy Questions

I have a DHM trailer with Bearing Buddy. They seem to hold the grease well while it's cool, but once the temperature here in Vegas heats up they seem to constantly "open" and spray the grease out. I know it is designed to do this, but seems to happen a lot. I replace it back to 1/8" blue showing and in only a 10 mile drive to the lake on a hot day it will happen again. Is this normal? I'm planning on pulling the boat about 500 miles on a trip this summer and am worried about losing the grease and over heating. I don't want to stop every 20 miles and check them. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Are you using a hi-temp marine grease? If yes, then when you say the BB's "spray the grease out".....do you mean literally there is grease seeping or spraying out of the BB? This is not normal....but some seepage is normal if it gets overfilled....i.e. the spring is completely compressed in the BB.

Are your brakes adjusted correctly and not dragging causing the hubs to heat up?

Are you using a hi-temp marine grease? If yes, then when you say the BB's "spray the grease out".....do you mean literally there is grease seeping or spraying out of the BB? This is not normal....but some seepage is normal if it gets overfilled....i.e. the spring is completely compressed in the BB.

Are your brakes adjusted correctly and not dragging causing the hubs to heat up?

Yes, I'm using hi-temp marine grease. When i get to the marina there is about 0.5" of blue indicator showing and there is grease all over the wheels. By the time we get back to the car after boating, the blue indicator has retracted and is flush with the housing. Will check the brakes next time I go out.

Not sure (i'm the 2nd owner), but I'm guessing they are the originals on an 07 trailer. I've probably put 1,000 miles on them.

Are the leaking from the front or the back?

I have run the same set of bearing buddies on my other boat (old Haines Hunter) for the last 15 years and probably 15,000 miles.

They leak a little at the front seal, but only enough that they need a wipe with some paper towel ever 1000kms or so.

They do also leak a little out the rear seal onto the inside of the wheel, a new set of seal will help with this. I have disc brakes on this trailer and the grease misses the disc fortunatly.

I have not installed bearing buddies on my Malibu because it has drum brakes and I am afraid that the rear seal will leak and cover the brake drum and shoes in grease. I am currently using Durahub membrane type units with mixed resaults.

Cheers

Stewart

Are the leaking from the front or the back?

I have run the same set of bearing buddies on my other boat (old Haines Hunter) for the last 15 years and probably 15,000 miles.

They leak a little at the front seal, but only enough that they need a wipe with some paper towel ever 1000kms or so.

They do also leak a little out the rear seal onto the inside of the wheel, a new set of seal will help with this. I have disc brakes on this trailer and the grease misses the disc fortunatly.

I have not installed bearing buddies on my Malibu because it has drum brakes and I am afraid that the rear seal will leak and cover the brake drum and shoes in grease. I am currently using Durahub membrane type units with mixed resaults.

Cheers

Stewart

It leaks out the front. Like I said the blue indicator is sticking way out when it happens and the grease is all over the front of the wheel. I will try and get a picture of it next time it happens.

Although I have replaced my bearing buddies in the course of my trailer's 13 yr. life due to excessive leakage out of the front seals. It sounds to me like maybe your brakes are dragging. Do you have access to an Infrared thermometer?

Also, you need a set of buddie bras to trap the grease.

As soon as you see any grease on the backside of the hub, it's time to replace those seals. They tend to last a few thousand miles.

As far as replacing the bearing buddies for leakage, well that all depends on when they leak. I replaced mine after about 6 yrs and a lot of miles on the trailer.

I have the covers that go over the bearing buddies. When I remove these there is always grease in them. Do you think that indicates that they need to be replaced?

I think the bearing buddies are supposed to have a 100,000 mile service life. Some grease "thrown" is normal, thus the need for the bras.

For what its worth...I had to have a break replaced a few years ago. Luckily we live about an hour from Trailers by Dorsey. I took it in for them to do the break job. The guy who did it was an "old timer" that had worked at the shop for a LONG time.and really knew his stuff. He said if possible, add grease after a drive when things are good and warm. The grease added would be the thickest and any water would get squeezed out before the grease.

I have the covers that go over the bearing buddies. When I remove these there is always grease in them. Do you think that indicates that they need to be replaced?

No, you're always gonna get some grease coming out.

Had the wheels off the other day so I could recarpet the board on the wheel well. And I did see some old greese on the back of the hub.

For what its worth...I had to have a break replaced a few years ago. Luckily we live about an hour from Trailers by Dorsey. I took it in for them to do the break job.

Sorry to hijack, but I have a Dorsey Trailer and thought they were no longer in business.

Took the trailer in today and sure enough a brake was dragging. Got that fixed and had them check and repack the bearings. As long as they had it torn apart they replaced the Bearing Buddies to the newer style that does't throw grease out the front. Thanks for all your suggestions. I feel a lot better about pulling it on vacation this summer!