Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking for a little info on 2000 VLX

nvip9r

Looking for a little help. My 2000 VLX is having a problem with running over 3500RPM across water. No issue sitting at dock, in neutral it will race up to any RPM...I didn't go above 4500 though... I am thinking change gas filters (both), spark plugs, wires and put some new gas in it. It is last years gas. This is my first time out this year. Any other suggestions? Also it says I need the MR43LTS spark plugs. Just stay with those or I hear the NGK's better? (At least people tell me to run them in my sleds)

Also is there a check engine light? Or is it just the transmission light that comes on if there is a engine problem? I notice boat has the OBD2 connector, but wasn't sure if or where the check engine light is. I didn't notice it come on when the boat would not run above 3500RPM...it seemed to stumble and not pull strong plus I didn't want to push it. Also temperature and oil pressure are all good. Thanks for the help...

My 2000 doesnt have a light, it uses the warning horn to indicte when there are issues. I would get both fuel filters changed first, and top it off with premium gas. One year old gas doesnt cause that issue in mine. I doubt the plugs are causing this issue, but if they are up for replacement, do it. Also my spark plug wires were rotten, and while it wont cause your isssue, if they are orginal it would be a good time to change them and your cap and rotor all at one time. Remember that reving it at idle with no load doesnt take much fuel volume, while pushing the boat does.

Thanks for the info. I am going to replace all you mentioned. I looked at the distributor and it seemed to have a lot of corrosion (white crap) around the pickups (or whatever those contacts are called) so a new one is on the way and will give it a try again. Thanks again!