Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

3600# lift enough?

Arctic Slalom

planning to buy an older sunsetter VLX.

is a shorestation 36108 enough? I'm looking at a used lift from a local lake. it appears to be in nice shape.

what does a new, 24' long canvas canopy cost?

I'm assuming it will lift 36" and has a 108" max beam.

what lift height do most people have for v-drives? 36" should be enough, eh?

our cabin is on a lake which is pretty consistant in elevation, but on long dry stretches it can drop 8-10".

the dry weight of the boat is 2900 lbs.

thanks,

CR

Edited by Arctic Slalom

couple more quick questions....

what is a good tower for a naked sunscape 21' or sunsetter VLX?

i need good racks too, don't really care about speakers.

'01 sunsetter vlx has same (cross-over ability) as 02-04 sunscape 21, because of diamond correct?

can you ballast and surf with a sunscape 21?

willing to pay for better quality.

been out of the boat game for awhile.....sorry.

thanks,

CR

In 36108 the 36= 3600# and the 108 is how wide it is. My dad has a 2400# Hewitt for a 96 MC prostar that weighs 2400# and it lifts it fine. I wouldn't go any bigger on boat weight but it works good. I have a 97 VLX on a 4500# lift and it may be a little over kill but it does sit on there pretty nice with not much movement. 24' canopy can be almost a $1000. A 3600# should lift those boats nicely. Not much info on the other ? I lived in Center for a year and got out on Lake Nelson a few times, where do you live?

I've got the 36108 under my RLXi. It has served me well for 15 years, but I sure wish I had a 4000# lift. It just feels like I am using all of the lift. I had to replace the pulleys (6 of them, $450) this spring, as the brass was wearing on the bushings. You didn't mention how old the lift is? Mine did not have grease fittings on the pulleys, but the newer ones do (I think started somewhere around 2004 or 2005?). That will definitely help. Canopy will likely be over $2000 with frame. Cover alone is probably close to $1000.

I have a Shorestation 3600# lift supporting my 3200# SSLxi. My lift is 20 years old and use to hold a 2400# boat. When I upgraded boats a few summers ago I replaced all the cables and winch tube on the lift to assure everything was in tip top shape (~$800). I have not had any trouble with the lift in 3 summers use now.

Also, I just put a 24' canopy on my lift last summer and the canopy (canvas only) was $650 w/ shipping from gotomarine.com. Don't get upsold on their fancy fabric. I bought the basic canopy and it has been great.

thanks for the information guys. I'm going to look at the lift this weekend.

anything in particular I should look for?

thanks for the information guys. I'm going to look at the lift this weekend. anything in particular I should look for?

Ask if/when the leveling cables and winch tube were replaced. Those are the really only things that will break over time on Shorestation lifts.

I have my 2000 23 LSV (no tower and aluminum block engine - so it should be on the light end of the 23 LSV's) on a 36108, I replaced the cables and winch beam when I bought the Malibu but it seems to work fine. I believe the replacement parts I bought are for both the 3600 and 4000 lb hoist. With the new cables and winch beam, the effort to raise the boat actually went down with the new boat which weighted probably 1000 lb more then my old Wellcraft.

I have a 4000# under my SSLX. No issues.

Also, look into cover tuff for a cover. I picked mine up for less than $600 as suggested by MSU. I purchased a new canopy frame as well for about $1300 FWIW.

• 9 months later...

well, I bought a '04 sunscape and I'm back on craigslist looking at used lifts. my new boat weights 2900 lbs. go with a 4,000 lbs. lift -or- will the 3,600 be enough?

I guess if I buy the 4000 lbs lift it will be plenty if I buy a heavier boat in the future (VLX, VTX, etc)??

my new boat weights 2900 lbs.

Dry, no options, no tower, etc. Everything I've ever researched has found this number to not be real world accurate at all. From what I've researched (haven't put mine on a scale yet), fully fueled and optioned out you are looking more along the lines of 4000lbs.

MalibuNation

I have a similar boat 2,900lb dry and only felt safe with the 4,000lb Shore Station. I have a tower, stereo, 3 batteries, lots of gear and it all adds up fast + if I hop in the boat while it's on the lift that's another 250lbs :). One thing about Shore Stations is they are rock solid. I sleep well at night with my setup.

• 1 month later...

Googele Lift covers you can find after market covers much cheaper. I got one this year through the local boat dealer and saved some cash. It may be better then the original. I have a Midlander but its more a Michigan area lift, A very well done lift . My old cover lasted 15 years. Not bad I think.

Levi,

Haven't bought one yet! Whole mess of them on msp Craigslist. I think I can gt a nice used 4000 lbs. for $2-3k.

We're looking at (5) lake cabins on Saturday in west central MN.

Sunscape will be here next week.

Work has been nuts.....not enough time to focus on Malibu stuff!

I have a shorestation 3500 # lift for my 2900 # boat & it works fine. I don't lift the boat with people in it & take very little gear on the boat since we live on the lake. Maybe one person in the boat if the water is rough to keep it in postion until the bunks start lifting it.

Where are you guys getting pricing for a lift beam, cables & pulleys? Dealer wants $850 for lift beam, neighbor had his replaced last year from a local guy who works on shorestations & he paid $1,000 including installation of lift beam.

Be sure to check & make sure the 4 vertical posts are not bent or out of wack. If the lift is not pulled by the bottom when moving it they will fold up like crumbling a piece of paper.

As others said check cables, pulleys & if lift beam has been replaced.

Levi,

Haven't bought one yet! Whole mess of them on msp Craigslist. I think I can gt a nice used 4000 lbs. for $2-3k.

We're looking at (5) lake cabins on Saturday in west central MN.

Sunscape will be here next week.

Work has been nuts.....not enough time to focus on Malibu stuff!

Cool man, I know how it goes... I have a 36-108A and I am going to run my LSV off that for this year. If it seems sketchy at all I'll probably try to upgrade. Mine has new cables and all new stainless hardware last year so it is solid.