Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Transmission Temperature Warning 2011 Wakesetter 410HP

Midlothianwakesetter

I had a "The “CHECK TRANS” warning is triggered from engine ECM data for overheating. " go off today after my boat was running at WOT for about 10 minutes. The lake was empty and like glass. I just wanted to get home fast. I slowed to about 1/3 throttle until I docked about 15 minutes later. When i turned the engine off, the wedge went to the lower position? Why????

I check the transmission fluid, and it did not smell like burn't toast, and was not hot to the touch. Two hours later I was back out on the water, but pretty slow (it was 11:30 p.m.), and the boat seamed to run fine.

Should I be concerned?

Ok i just went through this with my boat, and i was getting the check trans. alarm and then engine problem alarm. Come to find out it was the the high temp trans code to me. If it's not coming back on on your boat, i wouldn't worry to much about it. With mine, it would go off after 45 min of riding every time. Well come to find out, i had a bad transmission, my rear wear plate was cocked, burning everything up, ended up replacing the transmission. This doesn't seem like your problem. Is your engine temp getting warm as well?

Ok i just went through this with my boat, and i was getting the check trans. alarm and then engine problem alarm. Come to find out it was the the high temp trans code to me. If it's not coming back on on your boat, i wouldn't worry to much about it. With mine, it would go off after 45 min of riding every time. Well come to find out, i had a bad transmission, my rear wear plate was cocked, burning everything up, ended up replacing the transmission. This doesn't seem like your problem. Is your engine temp getting warm as well?

I have no engine alarms other than the high tranny temp. In my previous boats (Supra /with Indmar 340) I never had a tranny alarm after running at full throttle.

Yep. Exact same symptoms I had last summer. I had to have my tranny replaced, swapped out with a "new" one from Indmar, maybe you got my old one? I imagine you are at 42-45 mph at WOT?

Indmar usually wont let the dealers work on the inside of the trannys, they just replace it altogether once they rule out blockages, and kinked hoses.

Dont let anyone tell you that its normal for a tranny to overheat at WOT, or that its to be expected.

My reccomendation: talk with your dealer, ID it now, but wait to have the work done till OCT/NOV. Very rarely do folks cruise in wakeboats above 35.

I do 45 almost every time I go out. Not for whole time but probably 20 minutes at a time. Have hammerhead zz383 and never got trans or engine overheat . I agree that it should not happen.

Maybe you have little blockage in cooling system?

I do 45 almost every time I go out. Not for whole time but probably 20 minutes at a time. Have hammerhead zz383

thats the 6.2L correct? monster 6.2L WOT for 40 mins in a day? man i'd hate to see the gas on your credit card bill !

I think it's the 5.7 l but could be wrong. I usually go thru 1/4 or 1/2 tank. At $5 1/2 tank is about $125.

Yeah , been spending a lot on gas but I love it !!!!

Only $220 for fuel today, but that was less than 1/2 tank. No tranny problems today, but I never went over 25 either.

Only $220 for fuel today, but that was less than 1/2 tank. No tranny problems today, but I never went over 25 either.

How big is your tank? Mine is around 50 so costs about $250 to fill up. That would put your tank at 100 gallons, seems a lot?

Edited by JoeMama

Boat is in shop now. Under full throttle, with all tanks full and wedge down, the boat would not plane or go above 3000 rpm. I drained the tanks and the boat would not plane or go above 3000 rpm. I raised the wedge, and the boat went to 4500 rpm, but I was worried about the tranny so I throttle down to 3000 rpm and the boat appeared to run fine. I do have an inactive engine fault.

You got some serious issues other than just a tranny overheat at WOT. I have a metric shyt-ton of stereo, 5 group 29's, full ballast, wedge, and 8 dudes and I can still pull up 2 guys wakeboarding at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...

You got some serious issues other than just a tranny overheat at WOT. I have a metric shyt-ton of stereo, 5 group 29's, full ballast, wedge, and 8 dudes and I can still pull up 2 guys wakeboarding at the same time.

:help:

Well, looks like you are correct. My boat was in the Indmar service shop today and they went through a diagnosis, and not looking good. Removed some of the fluid, and alarm went off after a few minutes, checked/cleared the pump alarm still went off, and finally they checked the sensor, and the senor is working properly. It looks like my 2011 is out for the remainder of the season. :cry: I do not see this getting repaired anytime soon. My last boat, it took Indmar three years to address my engine problems. I purchased a new boat in the hopes that I would be able to use it. I know boats are an expense, but this was not expected at only 90 some hours.

Why are you out the rest of the season??? It takes 3-5 days to ship a tranny and 6-8 hrs to swap it out.

Who is your dealer??? This shOuld take 7-10 days max !!!!

I got the shaft on this last summer, 5 weeks lost. Unsat.

Why are you out the rest of the season??? It takes 3-5 days to ship a tranny and 6-8 hrs to swap it out.

Who is your dealer??? This shOuld take 7-10 days max !!!!

I got the shaft on this last summer, 5 weeks lost. Unsat.

I am just assuming (I know a** u & i) it will be the end of the season before my boat gets up and running again. I have not had the best experience with engine/tranny problems from the manufacture. Literarily, my last boat, it took three years to fix the problem.

My dealer (not a Malibu dealer) is awesome. Indmar was closed on Friday by my service ship finished all there diagnosis, and I am bummed that I cannot be out on the water today, and I travel for the next several weeks starting next Thursday. :cry:

Edited by Midlothianwakesetter
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I over reacted for the amount of time, but it has been one month without the use of my Wakesetter. Transmission repaired was completed today. Indmar had a second oil cooler added to cool the transmission. Looks like I will be back in the water this weekend!

I don't get it. Why would they need to add a second cooler. Or do you mean they replaced the bad one.

Yes, added a second. The stock cooler functioned normal, but the tranny would heat up to 190 when hitting 25-30 for more than ten minutes. Apparently, now the temp never goes above 130.

That implies that they did not design the system correctly in first place. That would be worrisome

I agree, I wanted a new tranny, but Indmar would not authorize that. This is a known issue because Indmar has an "upgrade kit", but only offers it if there are temperature issues.