Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bad morning yesterday - Shattered Windshield

So I got down to the boat and started taking the cover off. Got to the windshield and found the port side windshield to be completely shattered. I spent the next 1.5 hours taking the broken glass out, taping over the edges, and cleaning up. I have called the insurance co. and expect to speak with a claims person on Monday. I do not know how it happened and anything I say is speculation. One possibility is that a neighbor mowing their lawn might have kicked up a stone, but who knows. With the cover on, someone could hit the windshield with an object and never know they had broken my windshield.

Aside from the cost, it looks like I will have to: pull the boat, drive 2.5 hours to the dealer (they are kind enough to be willing to do the repair same day - Peter is a great guy), wait the better part of the day for it, drive 2.5 hours back, and relaunch. Very depressing and I don't know when I can arrange the time to do this. I wish an auto glass outfit could do the repair but I doubt they can - doubting that Malibu stocks the glass without the frame.

My buddy's 2011 center windshield just exploded in his garage last year when the temps hit around 90. I think the frame to windshield tolerance may be a bit to tight. they just shipped the center section to his house frame and all. The dealer warranted it so you may be in the same boat, Malibu stated they have never heard of a wind exploding before.

My buddy's 2011 center windshield just exploded in his garage last year when the temps hit around 90. I think the frame to windshield tolerance may be a bit to tight. they just shipped the center section to his house frame and all. The dealer warranted it so you may be in the same boat, Malibu stated they have never heard of a wind exploding before.

First I've heard of this...I now here in TX, it gets well above 90!

Sorry to hear about the glass. I would be interested in hearing how it happened!

Edited by srintx

I had a windshield on a SeaRay explode while I was driving thru a grocery store parking lot. No clue why. Never found any rock or anything & it wasn't really hot out. I wondered if the glass was under tension in the frame & the slightest movement set it off.