Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Are Rinker Boats any good?

canski27

A Buddy of mine is looking to buy his first boat and is planning to trade his RV for a Rinker boat, I am not sure of which model at this time. Does anybody know if these are good boats for a runabout? I am trying to convince him to look at a Bu but he doesn't want to spend that much cash and as he just getting into boating it may not be the best investment just yet.

Thanks for your input.

Rinker is a name that has been around awhile, like chapperall, or Larson, or glastron. I don't understand the appeal. It sounds like your buddy's requirement is to trade in the RV for a boat? If so, you won't be able to save him.

Look at 85's boat at $14K, how much better of an entry boat could you ask for?

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/37762-1998-response-cb-diamond-hull-294-hours-14000/

Our first boat was a Rinker Captiva. (Wife's honeymoon gift to me, letting me buy it)

Very happy with the boat as a first. With it we got out onto the water, learned to do a lot, then realised we needed a Malibu.

If we had not made it into surfing so much, I think we might just still have it as we just enjoyed getting out and playing on the water. I think if I had to do it all over again I would... Just maybe not buy new the first time round.

If you're going to buy an I/O a Rinker is a solid boat. The design, gel coat and fit and finish are very good for the price. Not the highest end I/O but good value. Of course if they want to get into boarding or surfing its not the way to go.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Rinker is a name that has been around awhile, like chapperall, or Larson, or glastron. I don't understand the appeal. It sounds like your buddy's requirement is to trade in the RV for a boat? If so, you won't be able to save him.

Look at 85's boat at $14K, how much better of an entry boat could you ask for?

http://www.themalibu...94-hours-14000/

I would hardly classify a Response as "entry level". Great slalom wake, & great quality boat with a low freeboard, not much room & tough to learn to drive? Getting closer.

If you're going to buy an I/O a Rinker is a solid boat. The design, gel coat and fit and finish are very good for the price. Not the highest end I/O but good value. Of course if they want to get into boarding or surfing its not the way to go.

While I've never owned a Rinker, this is about on par with what I've read about them. I owned an 18' SeaRay for my first power boat. The Mercruiser engine was good, but the wood in the interior started failing after a couple years. I did learn a lot about boats in the 2 or 3 yrs I owned it, including what watersports I was going to be into, what kind of boats I ultimately learned to love, and how to drive the thing.

If the guy doesn't know what sports he's into, or isn't likely to get into any, then the Rinker will probably do good. But if he's already into boarding, skiing or whatever other discipiline, then it might be better to encourage him to wait. Summer isn't exactly the best time to buy from a value standpoint, and he may very well decide all too quickly that he wishes he'd waited to buy a boat that better fit what he is into.

• Like 2

Tough question and depends a lot on what your friend wants to do with it. I spent many years in Boat industry and have been to the Rinker facility. I would tell you that Rinkers are average boats. They are not a Cobalt/Formula and they are not the old Bayliner. They didn't alway have the be best fit and finish but I'm sure if the boat is in good shape and the engine/drive are good, then your buddy will be fine with a Rinker.

I would hardly classify a Response as "entry level". Great slalom wake, & great quality boat with a low freeboard, not much room & tough to learn to drive? Getting closer.

I apologize to Malibu, the Response and to 85 Barefoot, :blush: I was referring only to the price of $14K for a person who wanted a good first boat. I would cringe to know what people are paying for a Rinker, Chapperal, bayliner etc.

We were going to look at a runabout baot for our first boat and decided to spend some extra on a 2002 Sunscape. Best decision we ever did. Even sold it 4 years later for only a couple of grand less than we paid. Even if he doesn't end up liking boating his cost of ownership for the year or couple if years will most likely be less. And lets be honest he is gonna love the BU. tough one though if he is only in a trade position.

I had a Rinker 232 Captiva for 8 years before buying my Bu. it was a great boat. Never spent a dime on repairs. Good family boat that handles pretty good for an I/O. I sold my 02 2 years ago for around $17000