Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Accessing 95 Sunsetter LX packing

Is there a trick to accessing the packing? I can't seem to get to it from either the engine bay or the access floor with my pipe wrench on that I used on my old boat. Are one of those small special packing wrenches needed? This packing wrench from Bakes looks nice but I'm not even sure that would have the clearance needed.

Here's a good "how to " article. I used some large wrenches I had in the shop. The only access is through the rear floor. Getting the old stuffing out was the hardest part with a home made pick while the nut was still on the shaft. Re pack per directions and Tighten/adjust the nut by hand while on the water at slowest speed to get the 1 drip every ten seconds.

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/stuffing_box

I ended up chopping the handle off my pipe wrench and was able to get to it, just barely though. On my old boat, the stuffing box was in the open and really easy to get to. Somebody had actually notched the small nut so I was able to stick screwdriver in there and tap it tight. I just needed to tighten it a little because there was a steady stream coming out of it. I plan on repacking it soon because I don't know the last time it was done.

Nice article btw.

photo-5.jpg

I also have a leak and need some help please. I'm very sorry for my ignorance in what to call things so bear with me. :) First, i have a 1999 Sunsetter LXI so maybe mine is different from the picture above?? In Ballas Buddy's picture above, see further up the drive shaft where you can see the two bolts? Actually I think there are four bolts at that point but you can only see two in the picture. The black housing that those bolts are holding is connected to another black housing on the other side of it. I have water coming from between those two black housings. Is this the result of needing to adjust/replace the packing like Ballast Buddy needed to?

Steve5sst, your 1999 has a HDS box that our 1995's don't have and it is an issue with many BU owners on this forum. Your leak may be the Stuffing box(nut), but it is probably the HDS. The stuffing nut usually drips right at the nut and should drip at one drop every ten seconds to be adjusted correctly. Look at the below thread for HDS information or do a search for "HDS leak", this will explain that black box the drive shaft goes into.

http://www.themalibu...-how-to-reseal/

Edited by jweloc

Well, I'm relieved to report back that it wasn't the HDS. It was the packing seal. It looked very strange at first though because what I thought I saw was water streaming from the coupling. Then I remember what one person wrote about there possibly being a flat stream and sure enough, that's what it was. From the packing seal, the water was in a flat stream on the bottom side of the drive shaft so I couldn't see it. Some adjustments to the packing nuts and I got the drip rate to within the recommended amount. Thanks all for your help!