Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ipod and USB connection for stock Rockford Stereo

CElliott00

I recently upgraded from a 2005 LSV 23 to a 2011 LSV 23. I absoultely love the boat. My only concern is the ipod connection in the glove box that takes in water. Initially the stereo worked great with the stock cable( 8 pin) that hooked up to the ipod. Recently I have had intermittent connectivity to my ipod. Has anyone else had this issue? I am assuming that the connections in the glove box got wet and that is causing the issue. I've tried using the USB connection and all that appears is "USB RD"on the rockford head unit. Any help would be much appreciated..

Are you sure water got in there?

Also, check that one of the pins on the round side of the connector is not bent...the only person you can get that cable from is your dealer.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I put tape around the connection under the dash where the iPod cable connects to the black box and that seemed to help. I at times get water dripping underneath the glove box.

Got caught in a severe rain storm two weeks ago and my glove box was full! I ruined one iPod in the process. I'm thinking of putting it under the box in the battery/ amp area to be safe, or getting an extension and running it to the drivers side somewhere.

Yea, a pretty poorly designed opening for the glove box. All they would have to do is have a slightly raised ridge around the top of the glove box opening. I have small plastic storage boxes that I keep in there and put anything that does do well with water in them.

I keep my iPod in a long aloksak without sealing it. It keeps out most of the water. However, it's gotten wet several times and the thing just keeps on working. The only problem is that frequently when we first take the boat out the HU shows that a song is playing, but nothing comes out and you can't skip ahead or anything. I unplug the iPod, choose the playlist and then plug it back in and it works fine.

Are you sure water got in there?

Also, check that one of the pins on the round side of the connector is not bent...the only person you can get that cable from is your dealer.

I second the connections. My dealer plugged in the cable to the boat at delivery and told me not to unplug it because it is so easy to bend the pins. Just unplug it from the iPod and leave the cable connected to the boat.
  • 4 weeks later...

Is the dealer really the only place to get a replacement iPod cable for the RFX3000 stereo? I bent some pins on mine this weekend and when I called dealer they told me the cable was $48. Pretty pricey for a Chinese made $2 part.

• 3 weeks later...

My dealer told me my 2008 23lsv wouldn't hook up an ipod via USB port, and that I had to use an old style headset cable to the auxilliary input and use the "aux" on my Rockford Fosgate... Seemed not right to me but he's the dealer and should know.

So it takes a special cord? Anybody know the model or part #?

Newbie, so be kind.

My dealer told me my 2008 23lsv wouldn't hook up an ipod via USB port, and that I had to use an old style headset cable to the auxilliary input and use the "aux" on my Rockford Fosgate... Seemed not right to me but he's the dealer and should know.

So it takes a special cord? Anybody know the model or part #?

Newbie, so be kind.

I think your dealer is right on this one because JBL didn't have an agreement with Apple on the black boxes installed in the 2008 - 2009 boats. There is a newer version of the black box (Don't recall the #) that will work with iPods using the dealer supplied cable in the 2010+ boats.

I used the same male-to-male headset cable in my 2008 and 2009. My stereo guy recently installed an iPod cable that both plays and charges when I installed the Exile ZLD and tower speakers, but I'm not sure how the cable is hooked up to the black box.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys for the info. It's always good to have some faith restored in your dealer. I'll look for one of those cables as it seems simpler than replacing a box - my wife might object if I did that ! :)