Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Thru-hull placement in 98 VLX

waterdog

I am installing an auto ballast system in my 98 VLX. I am not sure of the best place to put the thru hull in the bottom. My first thought was next to the intake for the engine on the opposite side except that is where the depth finder and water temp is. I am thinking of putting it next to the depth finder/water temp. either to the side or in front of it. I don't think this will affect anything but I thought I might get a few opinons before I break out the hole saw.

Hijack -

I was thinking of installing a through hull towards the rear of the hull, to one side of the rudder or prop. Do you think this would cause any problems with filling sacs while in gear at idle??

Hijack 0ff

Just don't put it anywhere near (namely to the front of or beside) the Perfect Pass paddlewheel if you've got it.

I don't have perfect pass in the boat right now, but I do plan on putting that in too. That raises another question. Where is the best place to put the perfect pass paddlewheel?

Hijack -

I was thinking of installing a through hull towards the rear of the hull, to one side of the rudder or prop. Do you think this would cause any problems with filling sacs while in gear at idle??

Hijack 0ff

If you put it to the rear of the hull will you have good access to it from inside of the boat. I know in my boat it gets pretty tight around the engine.

Just don't put it anywhere near (namely to the front of or beside) the Perfect Pass paddlewheel if you've got it.

I don't have perfect pass in the boat right now, but I do plan on putting that in too. That raises another question. Where is the best place to put the perfect pass paddlewheel?

It's not an exact science, but the paddlewheel has to have really good clean water with nothing in front of or beside it to change the water flow as it passes across the wheel. On our last boat the factory had installed a through hull about 18" ahead of the paddlewheel & as a result the system never did work well in speed mode. A lot of the troubleshooting that I went through with the folks at Perfect Pass reinforced how critical the placement is. You may want to get in touch with them now to plan it out, that way everything including your through hulls are placed correctly. They're extremely helpful & easy to work with.

Hijack -

Hijack 0ff

If you put it to the rear of the hull will you have good access to it from inside of the boat. I know in my boat it gets pretty tight around the engine.

If I go all the way to one side of the motor box I think it will be fine. Although I haven't looked back there in a couple months!! I just think it would be easier and cleaner since that is where I will be filling the sacs. That way there aren't hoses running all over, also less resistance for pushing / pulling water.

I looked under my 98 VLX and can tell you that I've got one ballast water intake on each side on the hull centerline, they are about even to where the shaft goes thru the hull and they are about + - 9" out from the shaft. About +- 18" forward of those intakes I have PP on the port side of the hull about 10-12" outside of center.