Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

interesting amp delima?

bamabonners

So I got my Wetsounds Rev 8 mounted today (look great!). I also bought the PAC volume adjustment for them. i went to hook up the volume adjustment for the tower speakers and found an interesting problem. Let me describe what I have so far - this is how the factory has it set up.

I have 3 factory amps, one is 1000 watts dedicated to the sub. The other two have to run the 8 interior speakers and towers. Amp 1 is only a 2 channel amp. Amp 2 is a 4 channel amp and appears to power all interior speakers. Amp 3 is dedicated to the sub.

Off the back of the radio there are 4 RCA outputs: front, rear, sub, and the dual audio zone connection.

1. The rear output goes to amp 1 in the "rear" input connection, then has a connection out the "passive" connection on the amp and connects to the "rear" input connection on amp 2.
  2. The front output goes to amp 2 into the front connection.
  3. The sub goes to the third amp for the sub.
  4. dual zone out goes nowhere

After doing some research I realized that if I put the volume adjustment between the radio and amp 1, the whole rear signal goes down (along with the tower speakers). So, what I need to do is isolate the tower speakers on amp 1, then run the internal speakers on amp 2.

Here is what I am thinking of doing:

1. Run the rear connection to rear input on amp 2
  2. Run the front connection to fro nt input on amp 2
  3. leave sub running to sub amp 3
  4. run the dual audio zone output to amp 1 and let it run the tower speakers
  5. run the tower volume adjustment between the radio and amp 1 so I can adjust the tower speaker volume

Eventhough I was told by Patrick Industries that the dual zone wouldn't work, it does. I plugged it up to an amp it duplicates the signal to all the other amps (there is a strange humming noise though, could be a bad cable).

Does any of this make sense? Just doesn't seem right in my crazy brain...

UPDATE:

I get a horribly loud hum when I use the dual audio zone output. I talked to my dealer, the stereo guy there said he gets the same thing on other boats. so, we now need to drop back and punt.

another interesting tidbit: if I run from the rear output on the radio to the rear input of amp 2, it gets a horrible hum. The only time I can connect the rear without getting the hum is by connecting the rear connection from the radio to amp 1 and using the passive connection to connect to the rear input on amp 2.

I used to install car stereos back in the day and I usually do pretty good at this stereo stuff, but I cannot figure out what the crap is going on here! :mad: