Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2012 23 lsv almost caught on fire this weekend!

TTTriplettx264

Well we were out on the lake Saturday and were smelling a funny burning smell but couldn't figure out what it was so we just kept an eye on things. Before we new it there was a bunch of smoke coming out directly from where the sub is under the dash. We immediately powered everything down and it seemed to cool down. Obviously it has something to do with the factory sub but we aren't sure what. Anyone have any ideas?? We dropped the boat by the dealer on our way home Saturday but they haven't had a chance to look at it yet.

Also here are a couple more pictures when I picked it up from the dealer Friday after getting its 20 hour service done.

2gu9i5l.jpg

3523xxg.jpg

I definitely think its the sub because we kept the stereo powered down and had to drive the boat back to load it up and everything was fine when the stereo was off. I am just wondering why the sub would have overheated to the point where something was burning. The sub was only turned half way up on the eq knob and the bass in the settings was at 0. Arent they designed to play music for extended periods of time?? I cant imagine we simply just over heated it. Something else has to be going on in my opinion.

**Something else has to be going on involving the sub that is. I just dont think it over heated. If so thats pretty stupid!! Haha

We just got ours back from the 20 hr service as well. Speaking of the factory sub, at the advice of our dealers stereo installer, we had him build us an actual custom sub box while it was getting its 20 hr oil change and the sound is night and day better. I did not notice any smoke or heat from the stock box but from the new one I did feel some extra heat and a bit of a burning smell. I think it's all of the new materials settling in but never was there any smoke. I would highly recommend it as its amazing what a $300 sub box designed and installed correctly will do to the sound in that boat. We do have all of the factory stereo options available (8 speakers in boat and 4 on tower,1 sub with 4 amps and sirius satellite) and from the pics it looks like you do as well so your results would be similar. Good luck and let us know the outcome.

We just got ours back from the 20 hr service as well. Speaking of the factory sub, at the advice of our dealers stereo installer, we had him build us an actual custom sub box while it was getting its 20 hr oil change and the sound is night and day better. I did not notice any smoke or heat from the stock box but from the new one I did feel some extra heat and a bit of a burning smell. I think it's all of the new materials settling in but never was there any smoke. I would highly recommend it as its amazing what a $300 sub box designed and installed correctly will do to the sound in that boat. We do have all of the factory stereo options available (8 speakers in boat and 4 on tower,1 sub with 4 amps and sirius satellite) and from the pics it looks like you do as well so your results would be similar. Good luck and let us know the outcome.

Yea we will see what they come back with as I am hoping it is a simple fix. And yea we have the sound pak 3 as well and I have heard the factory box isn't too great. At some point we are going to get the wet sounds ws420 equalizer put in too so whenever we do that I will try to get my Dad to get a custom box done as well. Im sure it does make a huge difference!

There's a lot of power and controls wiring under the dash, including several control boxes for the MTC system. I would not assume it was just the subwoofer, I would take it to the dealer ASAP and have them check it out.

If you blew the sub you can get a small amount of smoke from blowing the voicecoil (subs don't overheat they get overpowered and the voicecoil fries or the rubber surround / cone tears). *Typically* subs only cook if you over power them. It could be possible if you have a dual voice coil sub that it was accidentally wired incorrectly and is running at a lower ohm rating than anticipated by the installer and hence is receiving more power than necessary.

You also could have gotten a sub that was just a dud, but it's unlikely. If you could post up the model of the sub (not just "kicker") we could look up if it's dual voice coil or not and rule some things out. If you can take a picture of the back of the sub and how it's wired that will also help the audiophiles answer questions for you. Right now there isn't enough info to go on. Do you have a voltmeter? you can test the resistance of the sub to see if you blew the voicecoil. I can walk you through how to do this if you provide the requested pictures.

If you blew the sub you can get a small amount of smoke from blowing the voicecoil (subs don't overheat they get overpowered and the voicecoil fries or the rubber surround / cone tears). *Typically* subs only cook if you over power them. It could be possible if you have a dual voice coil sub that it was accidentally wired incorrectly and is running at a lower ohm rating than anticipated by the installer and hence is receiving more power than necessary.

You also could have gotten a sub that was just a dud, but it's unlikely. If you could post up the model of the sub (not just "kicker") we could look up if it's dual voice coil or not and rule some things out. If you can take a picture of the back of the sub and how it's wired that will also help the audiophiles answer questions for you. Right now there isn't enough info to go on. Do you have a voltmeter? you can test the resistance of the sub to see if you blew the voicecoil. I can walk you through how to do this if you provide the requested pictures.

Well the boat is already at the malibu dealer and they are looking into it. But the sub was the 12 inch rockford fosgate that came with the boat (sound pack 3). Im not sure on the exact model of it. Sounds like it could have been wired incorrectly possibly. Im not ruling out that it couldnt be anything other than the sub but after we powered the stereo system down we had to drive the boat a good ways to get back to load it up and we had no problems at all with the stereo off. No smoke, no nothing. We are waiting to see if the dealer finds the problem so we can go from there.

Thanks for all the input. I will notify when we hear anything from the dealer!

-Brent

TTT, I had the coil go out of my M212S4B last month, it had a bad rattle in it. Took it to a local RF dealer instead of Malibu and it they sent it to RF. RF confirmed that it was a bad coil and authorized the dealer to do a one for one. It took about 3 weeks to do the warranty claim. Good luck.

my 2011 has done the same thing. got it replaced by the dealer. now my new one is doing the same thing. It buzzes down low and smells like smoke when played loud. I doubt that my dealer will replace it again this late in the game. I wonder if there is some deffect in this rockford model?

From the outside the sub looks no different than the stock panel that the sub comes mounted in so pics at this point wouldn't help u. Basically a complete box was built behind that panel and no pics during construction or install sorry. One thing worthy of mentioning is he also put in four additional screws on the front of the sub to keep rattling to a minimum. I will say that it sounds a million times better and it makes the stereo options we purchased worth the money once the bass was tightened up. I can get more info from installer next time I get down to the dealer and will post for all.

my 2011 has done the same thing. got it replaced by the dealer. now my new one is doing the same thing. It buzzes down low and smells like smoke when played loud. I doubt that my dealer will replace it again this late in the game. I wonder if there is some deffect in this rockford model?

Surfdude, take it to a RF dealer and have them replace it. I was told by my local dealer that, RF warranties this particular line of speakers for like 3 years IIRC. Granted it make take a few weeks, but it will be free and a heck of a lot faster than going thru your boat dealer.

Still waiting to hear back from the dealer. Hopefully its an easy fix and then whenever we take it over to get the wet sounds equalizer put in ill work on my Dad to get a custom box built for it too. Wouldnt mind having that wet sounds 12 either haha. I just want it back already so we can get back out on the water!!

Just heard back from the dealer. Apparently the sub was cooked and they have already ordered another so we are just waiting to hear back when it will come in. The only thing I am worried about is if there is too much power going to the sub or something and it just fries this one too? Any thoughts??

Thanks

Just catching up now. I see that someone has linked the serial of the sub, this helps. With a single voice coil sub, there is almost no chance of mis-wiring. That being said this is a very low power sub (300 watts RMS isn't much). The next question is what amp is powering this by default (what amp gets installed with this additional option)? Once I know that I can tell you if you have an amp / sub mismatch and I can make suggestions on alternatives.

Edited by wakeboarder3780

Thanks IXFE. I guess the sub just simply burned up. I was looking at one of the other recent threads and saw a lot of people are building their own boxes from the dimensions posted on the RF website for the factory sub. Is it really that difficult to build your own sealed box? My Dad and I are pretty experienced in carpentry work and are always building things. Im pretty confident we could build one pretty easily as long as we use the right materials and dimensions. My main question is what do you use/do to properly seal them?? If it saves $300 bucks I don't have a problem with trying haha.

Thanks IXFE. I guess the sub just simply burned up. I was looking at one of the other recent threads and saw a lot of people are building their own boxes from the dimensions posted on the RF website for the factory sub. Is it really that difficult to build your own sealed box? My Dad and I are pretty experienced in carpentry work and are always building things. Im pretty confident we could build one pretty easily as long as we use the right materials and dimensions. My main question is what do you use/do to properly seal them?? If it saves $300 bucks I don't have a problem with trying haha.

If you are an experienced carpenter you will have no problem at all building the box once you know how to use the information like adding the material thickness and sub displacement to your total enclosure size. I say go for it.

Use wood glue to secure the cut edges together with staples or screws, then you can coat the outside in fiberglass resin or take it down to your local Line-X place and have them spray the outside of the box.