Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer Bunk

hyperlitenerd

Dad noticed this when we were out on saturday. Cry.gifCry.gifCry.gifCry.gifCry.gifCry.gif

trailerbunks.jpg

What should we do? Im going to take a picture into copes this week and see what they say, but i'll trust your guy's opinon more.

So how can I get these new parts? I dont think dad would do it, we could put the boat in the water leave people in to protect it, and just switch it out, or have copes do it.

It's pretty easy really. It's just wood & bunk carpet. If he's not a DIY kind of guy, he'll have to take it in. Most of the larger dealers will have a hoist to get the boat off the trailer.

I would be looking into why it is in such bad shape. Why is the board damaged like that. Is the wood decaying or was it hit by something?

We dont know why its messed up, but we have noticed that the boat has been having a hard time sitting straight on the bunks when we drive it on.

I would agree with Andy. There are a lot of "burn" marks on the carpet as well. Might be coming in a little hot...might have the trailer a little shallow... Dontknow.gif

After you fix it...you might also try Liquid Rollers bunk spray...you slide on a lot easier.

Edited by NorCaliBu

I guess we could have hit it with a fin, but i dont think im that bad at putting it on the trailer. but we did have one day where we did get blown on weird.

I would agree with Andy. There are a lot of "burn" marks on the carpet as well. Might be coming in a little hot...might have the trailer a little shallow... Dontknow.gif

After you fix it...you might also try Liquid Rollers bunk spray...you slide on a lot easier.

The trailer if anything is ussally in too deep, most of the time its a float on. And whats the liquid rollers you speak of??

It's a lubricant that allows the boat to slide up the bunks easier. The only downside is that when launching you don't want to unstrap the bow until you're down in the water.

Whether you do it or have the dealer fix the bunk, you'll want to check over the rest pretty good. You can really only expect 2-3 years out of the carpeting & you may need to replace the carpeting on the others as well. Might as well do it all at once if it needs it.

Have to agree, looks like it was hit. If your Dad is a DIY, then just put the boat in the water and replace the boards with carpet. I have to redo my bunks this yr, I'm just going to make new one's. Then When I head down to McClure I'm going to switch them out while the boat is in the water. Did I see some one post that you can get the carpet at Home Depot?

Liquid rollers works great. WARNING:- DO NOT UNSTRAP THE BOW ON THE LAUNCH RAMP. The boat can and will slide off the trailer.

So dad is asking how easy it is to DYI the bunk, which means ill be doing which is fine. So how do I go about getting another? When I do it, ill type up a how to so we can pass the ideas on.

FYI if you want a cheap alternative to Liquid Rollers you can use Pledge spray furniture polish. Same effect and you probably have some in the house right now.

FYI if you want a cheap alternative to Liquid Rollers you can use Pledge spray furniture polish. Same effect and you probably have some in the house right now.

Thanks for the idea, but 3$ for liquid rollers, no reason to cheap out yet.

Yes it will work, but pledge will not last as long.

hyperlitenerd do a search I know it has been talked about a few times

Do you have tie downs on the transom when you're trailering it? I could see this happening by the boat bouncing and shifting just enough for a strake to hit the back corner of the bunk.

Mike

I have a gouge in one of my bunks, not nearly as bad as the one pictured thankfully, and I had thought about carpeting new bunks and switching them out at the lake. The problem is that my bunks are curved. How do you deal with that?

Daniel

Should be a pretty simple and quick fix. I had to do an emergency fix at a boat launch one trip I took. All you should need is a blade or scissors to cut the carpet to size, staple gun with ss staples, board (2x4 or 2x6), a hand saw and a wrench or two.

Looks to me as though the boat was not trailered correctly. The damage is on the front of the bunk on the outside board. IF the fin hit it the boat was really out of shape. More than likely one of the chines was sitting on top of the bunk instead of against it. Make sure your bunks are adjusted so that the chines don't sit on top of the bunks and check every time you load it on the trailer that it is siting right. The chines should go along the side of the bunk.

Replacing the bunks is really easy! I have done it twice before with no problems. We are going to redo ours this spring and we will just make the new ones in the garage, drive down to the ramp, tie off the boat, pull out the trailer and swap out the bunks....super easy. I wouldn't pay anyone to do this since you and your dad or you and your brother(s) can do it in an afternoon.

I need to redo the bunks this year also.

I saw these plastic or teflon bunk skids for PWCs on Overtones site, I was wondering if they would be

a good idea on a boat trailer, and if the would'nt scuff the hull I'd use them.

I would prefab your bunks/carpet in the garage. Get underneath your boat and measure the lengths of 2x6 (that's what mine are) you will need. I would go to Overtons and buy the carpet and staple it (ss or monel staples!!!!) on. Then all you have to do at the lake is to take the old bunks off and bolt the new ones on!!!!