Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lost my Go Pro 2...

srintx

Well after having it for about 2 month I lost my Go Pro today at the lake... :cry:

Had it mounted to the board with the backdoor floaty, did a simple wake to wake jump and that was it. For whatever reason the floaty could not keep it above water. We drove around for about 30 mins to see if would surface, could not find a trace of it.

Has any had this problem?

I know there was some discussions about the Go Pro versus some of the other cams, but what are your thoughts on the Contour Roam Cam? Seems like an interesting design. :dontknow:

Edited by srintx

You didn't water test the cam. with the floaty prior to this?

I test the floaty for my boat keys and other stuff that has a floaty attached that CANNOT sink.

• Like 1

You didn't water test the cam. with the floaty prior to this?

I test the floaty for my boat keys and other stuff that has a floaty attached that CANNOT sink.

Yep, tested it off the swim platform. It floated perfectly! The only thing I can come up with is that the wake and prop wash pushed it under?

Well after having it for about 2 month I lost my Go Pro today at the lake... :cry:

Had it mounted to the board with the backdoor floaty, did a simple wake to wake jump and that was it. For whatever reason the floaty could not keep it above water. We drove around for about 30 mins to see if would surface, could not find a trace of it.

Has any had this problem?

I know there was some discussions about the Go Pro versus some of the other cams, but what are your thoughts on the Contour Roam Cam? Seems like an interesting design. :dontknow:

Yes, lost one off the side of the boat. Had the floaty on it. Hired a diver (mostly to save the video), still couldn't find it. After reading the fine print, it doesn't sound like the float works with the camera AND a mount..... :(

Edited by skurfer

gofloatit.com

Has a much bigger float and will float camera and mount. I would double check if you are running the battery backpack or the wifi backpack.

We had a guy lose one a couple weeks ago too. Same kind of situation. I'm wondering if he water tested it with the bracket attached. I do know he did not use the white rubber locking key so it just popped out of the mount.

gofloatit.com

Has a much bigger float and will float camera and mount. I would double check if you are running the battery backpack or the wifi backpack.

Awesome, i'll check this out.

teather it.

Next time I will without question, not sure how I will teather it using the flat adesive mount on a wakeboard or surf board?

We had a guy lose one a couple weeks ago too. Same kind of situation. I'm wondering if he water tested it with the bracket attached. I do know he did not use the white rubber locking key so it just popped out of the mount.

I did not have the lock key on...my thinking was the floaty would take it's place. I think the biggest lost is the SD Card and the vids that are on it!

What are you using to attach it to the boards to get the right angle?

I bought a 5 pack of the flat adesive mounts...does the surf board mount work better?

Edited by srintx

the surfboard mount provides a lot more surface area... but it can still let go. The thing I don't like about the sticky mounts (3M vhb tape) is that they hold super tight until they suddenly fail catastrophically. There's not much warning before failure.

That said, I'd never trust one of the small stickies on a wakeboard. Not enough surface area at all.

To teather while wakeboarding, I'd use a snowboard leash clipped to a binding. not sure for surfing.... maybe a comically big float?

We lost one a few weeks ago attached to the board with the 3m mount.. The crazy thing is that the mount and case stayed on.. the case actually came open and dropped the camera into the lake. We called Go Pro because it shouldn't of came open. They didn't really help that much. They offered 60% off on new camera and gave us a free chest mount.. I think the only reason they did is because we ordered like 2k worth of GoPro stuff like 2 weeks before.

This wrist float i have that i just wrap around the base, floats the gopro w/ lcd screen and my suction cup mount when attached. And heres my wakeboard mount.

c6e4eb4e-c4be-0b42.jpg

c6e4eb4e-c498-e555.jpg

I have a whole bag of mounts and little arms and such. I always check the entire system for floatation with the mount included.

Also, be sure to clean the area you are sticking with some good alcohol. Denatured or 90% isopropyl.

Run the locking white plug. One helmet mount doesn't allow you to use it but in all other situations its a must. Plus it knocks out the clicking in the video's audio.

Before I had a go-float-it I used a can coozy. I cut it up and used sticky-back velcro to make the floats removable.

This wrist float i have that i just wrap around the base, floats the gopro w/ lcd screen and my suction cup mount when attached. And heres my wakeboard mount.

c6e4eb4e-c4be-0b42.jpg

c6e4eb4e-c498-e555.jpg

Where did you get that mount?

You can also cut up one of those poop noodles to make your own float. It might look a little ghetto, but you can add as many chunks as you want to float your whole setup.

We lost one a few weeks ago attached to the board with the 3m mount.. The crazy thing is that the mount and case stayed on.. the case actually came open and dropped the camera into the lake. We called Go Pro because it shouldn't of came open. They didn't really help that much. They offered 60% off on new camera and gave us a free chest mount.. I think the only reason they did is because we ordered like 2k worth of GoPro stuff like 2 weeks before.
Wow, the case opened! What are you using now for a mount?I emailed GoPro today, will see what they can do?Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Edited by srintx

c6e4eb4e-c4be-0b42.jpg

c6e4eb4e-c498-e555.jpg

Where did this mount come from? That floaty will keep the cam from sinking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, the case opened! What are you using now for a mount?I emailed GoPro today, will see what they can do?Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah My buddy had it attached to his board... Hit a double up kinda awkward and it kinda threw him back way into the flats. He popped pretty hard when he hit the water but it wasn't like a huge wreck or anything. The case stayed on the board fine.. but it was open and no camera.. Sucks too because we had some good footage on it. I can't imagine that double up wreck was any worse than impacts on dirt bikes or snowboards. Even GoPro said it shouldn't of happened... We haven't tried putting one back on the board yet.. The 3m mount worked fine on the board.. We also attached a safety to another 3m mount with a tether just in case.. Turns out we didn't need it anyways. It's been on there for several weeks now still we just haven't put another camera back on it..

Yep that floaty I have (wrist one) floats the camera even when its attched to the big suction cup mount that I use to mount on the side of the boat for barefooting or slalom shots.

That mount shown above I picked up back in 2010 when the gopro hd first came out, kiteboarders were using this type of mount. Last I checked, they have not gone with this mount which would still work as it uses the fin screw holes still.

gopro_kiteboard_finmount-1.jpg

Yep that floaty I have (wrist one) floats the camera even when its attched to the big suction cup mount that I use to mount on the side of the boat for barefooting or slalom shots.

That mount shown above I picked up back in 2010 when the gopro hd first came out, kiteboarders were using this type of mount. Last I checked, they have not gone with this mount which would still work as it uses the fin screw holes still.

gopro_kiteboard_finmount-1.jpg

I like the mount...it would appear that it would have helped BoBelite with his cam...

You can also cut up one of those poop noodles to make your own float. It might look a little ghetto, but you can add as many chunks as you want to float your whole setup.

Poop Noodle? :rofl: