Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bad Experience with a Globe Impeller

Hello all, just a heads up for anyone else. Something that is a bit of concern, and something others might watch for.

Put in a brand new globe impeller today getting ready for the boating season.

Hook my boat up to fake-a-lake, and it won't suck water. Reposition the plunger, nada. Funny, it's worked like a charm 4-5 times. Figure a hose is not connected. Nope all good. Figured the water strainer was dirty. Nope, clean and flowing. I disconnect the hose coming out of the v-drive and stick the hose in it. Finally get some water out of the exhaust, but barely. Most of it was pressurizing, and coming back out the hose. Connect all the hoses back together, figuring the engine was air locked or something, and same thing, no water out of the exhaust.

Figure maybe something went wrong with the impeller install. I pull it out, and do some investigation. Turns out the metal middle spline part is not attached to the outside impeller part. I am actually able to stick a small screw driver and pry them apart. :(

Put my old impeller back in (johnson) and she was sucking water right away.

Maybe I got a bad one, but I know everyone thinks these things are the best things since sliced bread. Anyone else see this issue with globe impellers before?

sounds like you were the lucky one to get a defective part. mine is working great, but I do have a brand new Johnson one as a back-up.

Oh please I hope no one gets me wrong. The globe impeller is not garbage. In fact I bet it's great. No matter what it is it's bound to have a defect in it once in a while. Happens to the highest quality stuff.

Visually from the outside it looks perfect. The Inner bushing spline is simply not attached to the outside so the outside is stationary while the inside is spinning.

Again happens to every product. D-goose who I got it from was awesome enough to offer to send me a new one :)

I'll snap a pic today.

Here is a picture of it:

http://img833.images...83/photomtm.jpg

Basically you can sweep a small screw driver between the impeller and the actual bushing.

My POINT of this is NOT to say the globe impeller is garbage, my real point is if you have trouble with ANY new impeller, this could be your problem. be it johnson, jabso, sherwood, or globe.

Does anyone know how these attach to eachother. Is glued to the bushing?

Edited by Indyxc

didn't take it as you bashing Globe. I totally understood it as "check your parts" when you have a problem. thanks for the heads up.

I would cut that one apart if it was mine to see how the two pieces are made together. I wonder if the brass piece is pressed into the rubber or the plastic is molded in place. Surely the brass piece has external fins to grab the rubber in some way.

Might be a clue to spray a bit of soap or WD-40 into the housing before starting a new impeller.

I would cut that one apart if it was mine to see how the two pieces are made together. I wonder if the brass piece is pressed into the rubber or the plastic is molded in place. Surely the brass piece has external fins to grab the rubber in some way.

Might be a clue to spray a bit of soap or WD-40 into the housing before starting a new impeller.

Good point, I wonder if a dry start could grab it and break the inner shaft from the rubber impeller. Although he mentioned the fake a lake, would it push water into the impeller housing before starting?

Thanks for the info, definitely something to look for troubleshooting in future...

Bummer. I've used two of the Globes over about 4 yrs & never seen this. I have however had a used Johnson fail in the same way. It had a season of hours on it, maybe 75 or 80 & started running hot. We replaced it & the problem went away. Looking at it closer & we found the metal was spinning inside the rubber. Makes me wonder if this type of failure is more common.

I've read older posts of this also happening with OEM type impellers, but not the Globe. However, there's a ton of force on the center hub of impeller especially when the incomming water is limited. The impeller vains are rubber like and really grip the confines of the pump without the lubricating/cooling water. Also, If the pump chamber is dry and a quick rev of the throttle is done spinning the hub will occur quickly. If your using a hose or fake-a-lake just bleed the air at the pump intake or better yet, just let the motor idle until water exits the exhaust.

I had this happen when I went to winterize. Put the hose in the bucket to suck in the antifreeze and it was not pulling any antifreeze in the motor. I changed the impeller (again) and it worked. I didn't look to see if the rubber would spin on the center. I may still have the old one and will try to look at it. I would bet this would be really hard to notice. If I wasn't trying to empty the bucket, I may not have noticed it.

I have a globe in the garage waiting for install. It looks to have some lube on the fins already. Thus, not really a dry start after install.

Try putting a valve on the bucket and place the bucket on the engine cover, gravity will help it flow quicker. That's good that the new globes come pre-lubed, I don't recall the OEM ones having lube on them. I just use some glycerine lube (wire pulling goop) when installing them.