Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

98 response vs 99 onwards

uk_exile

I sold my boat so are now in search of a towboat. Mostly for slalom skiing but also a bit of wakeboarding. Have narrowed my choices down to either Malibu Response (ideally LX) or Mastercraft Prostar / Sportstar. Due to family budget will need to be aged mid - late 90's.

What's the differences between the 1998 responses and the 99 & onwards ones ? I know the rear locker but what else ?

Also I think diamond hulls arrived 1999, correct ? What can I look at to see if it's a sv23 or a sv23 diamond ?

Is it worth being boatless for a while to be able to get a 99 or newer ?

In 99 there where just a few changes, The windshield was more of a wrap around design, They switched to 5" servo driven gauges and added an ice chest by the observers seat. They also changed the design of the shifter handle making it a little more egrenomic(sp?) Hope this helps :)

Thanks for all the info. So there wasn't more freeboard or anything major like that. I've found 3 98's in my budget but none any newer. However the 3 are all 1.5hrs flight plus 1-3hr drive away. Hence I wasn't sure abiout checking them out if 99 onwards had big improvements. However as the differences aren't great I'll do trip & have a look.

found a 2001 response lx, extra demonstrator so fully loaded with all the bling for 20% higher price than the 98 we were interested in. very very tempted to sell the 2nd car & go for it. just the extras (tower, heater, shower, perfect pass, bimini etc) make up the difference. at minimum we'd need to add tower & pp anyway

couple of week unitl I see it (owner on holiday) but very keen

currently working through ways to finance the difference. may be 2nd car plus small loan, once loan is cleared (6-12 months) get another to replace the car. got to have priorities right !