Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2001 Sunsetter Lxi with Acme 579 (4 blade 13x12.125)

TBone

Crew - I bought my Malibu 2 years ago and have really enjoyed it. My prop needs to become a back-up and I am mostly a slalom ski guy so I really like hole shot and am not as worried about top end. It seems like a few of you have started putting on 525s and going to the 3 blade. I probably have a few hundred rpm to give on my 350 but not much. Any recommendations?

Not many malibu dds with a 4 blade. I would stick with a 3. I have had good performance with an OJ XMP 3 blade on my SLXi. It did great things for gettin rid of the roster tail also.

I tried a bunch of different props on my SLXi, including various 3 and 4 blade props from OJ and ACME. The best all around prop for my boat was a 3 bladed OJ XMP 13"x11.5"

skiertoskier.com can get them turned around in a hurry, great service, good pricing too.

I tried a bunch of different props on my SLXi, including various 3 and 4 blade props from OJ and ACME. The best all around prop for my boat was a 3 bladed OJ XMP 13"x11.5"

skiertoskier.com can get them turned around in a hurry, great service, good pricing too.

I had the same prop on my lxi too, and liked it. OJ 330. The acme 515 would be good too.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys - thanks for the help. I did talk to Acme and after reviewing my data on top end speed and rpm, we decided to go for the 525. I ordered yesterday from Boatstore.com. I have room on the top end for more rpm and I like hole shot and Minimum on Plane speed. I will post my results when they come in.

Interesting that what Tom told me at Acme is that 99% of Slalom guys like a 3-blade over a 4-blade because the crest of the wake is softer. If this hull gets a better wake, I'll be beyond heaven!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We just spent our first weekend with the acme 525, im thrilled with it. The wake is much better at 30 - 32 mph. we thought it was better than the Oj xmp 11.5, and the four blade legend that was on it originally. The boats performance is much better as well. 3.5 mph better than the four blade, and 1.5 better than the xmp. Very smooth and the boat felt quieter. Huge improvement in hole shot and throttle response, had to start over with the PP stargazer calibration.

On a side note, once I get my four blade back from repair, Im going to send the xmp back to Oj to have them look at it. Its performance, vibrations, and finish, were so much worse than the Acme, and Im wondering if I may have a defective prop.

My boat has the Monsoon, and the lake were at is at 4000 ft.

Edited by tigercity