Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need Help

23lsv drinker

I own a 2005 23lsv and I have been surfing with it for the last 2 years now and last year I got a couple new ballast bags and really got the wave going on, and although it was a nice wave, my boat somehow drank water. I tore the engine down and hoping to see the intake gasket or maybe the head gasket gone, but neither one looked bad so I am wondering if anyone else has had any trouble with water possibly siphoning into the motor from the manifold when the boat is heavy on one side? I have the monsoon motor if that matters. I have rebuilt the engine and now I am reluctant to surf with it if the same result will happen. Thank you for your time

Siphoning in the manifold? That sounds like a longshot to me, water would have to be really high. Sure you aren't getting water into the fuel tank and it's getting injected into motor?

martinarcher

Drank water? Did the boat hydro lock or is it a closed cooing system and it is using water? You need to be a bit more specific for us to help.

Its not closed cooling. It was a slow steady problem. It first started to run rough at an idle so I checked the oil and generally over the whole motor. There seemed to be nothing wrong. Oil was clean. I figured maybe I had a fouled plug or clogged fuel filter. So I changed the fuel filter, plugs, cap and rotor. It still ran rough at low rpm but not enough for anyone else but me to notice it was so slight. I kept running it and then it got harder and harder to start. My boat has always had a little bit of boil off so sometimes when it warm it takes a little more cranking to start but this was taking more and more to getting it going. It would even stall at an idle occasionally. Wanting to test it further I thought maybe it would loose performance at the top end if I had a fuel pump problem. It ran perfect at high rpms top speed was good and there was no miss or backfire. Continued using it and checking the dipstick every so often, put aproximately 3 more hours on it till my oil showed milky. Put it on the trailer. Shut it down. Went to start it again and then it was hydrolocked. Upon disassembly the motor was full of water. Above and below the pistons.

martinarcher

Were all 8 cylinders full of water or only a single one? Did you pull the pistons out of the engine? I'm surprised there could be water above and below the pistons - especially on all 8.

I can tell you surfing is not the culprit.

I can tell you surfing is not the culprit.

I dunno Matt,

I have issues with surfing and having the motor listing that much for such a long period of time.

I'm trying to find the thread where someone posted about the nylon exhaust cooling elbows kept melting on the "uphill" side of their motor that they were surfing. Only to find out that the cooling water was under very low pressure and wasn't properly cooling the "uphill" side of the exhaust.

Its not closed cooling. It was a slow steady problem. It first started to run rough at an idle so I checked the oil and generally over the whole motor. There seemed to be nothing wrong. Oil was clean. I figured maybe I had a fouled plug or clogged fuel filter. So I changed the fuel filter, plugs, cap and rotor. It still ran rough at low rpm but not enough for anyone else but me to notice it was so slight. I kept running it and then it got harder and harder to start. My boat has always had a little bit of boil off so sometimes when it warm it takes a little more cranking to start but this was taking more and more to getting it going. It would even stall at an idle occasionally. Wanting to test it further I thought maybe it would loose performance at the top end if I had a fuel pump problem. It ran perfect at high rpms top speed was good and there was no miss or backfire. Continued using it and checking the dipstick every so often, put aproximately 3 more hours on it till my oil showed milky. Put it on the trailer. Shut it down. Went to start it again and then it was hydrolocked. Upon disassembly the motor was full of water. Above and below the pistons.

Lets hope this isn't the problem but is there ANY chance your boat was not winterized properly. I don't think surfing caused this.

A head gasket will do it just like was said it will put it in the piston and in the block also the intake gasket can do the same if it is more than one piston the odds are on the intake gasket if you have rebuilt the motor and it is still does it I would get my intake checked for a crack. But this is just my 2 cent I do have a automotive degree but not on boats. Good luck

martinarcher

Since you have the motor out of the boat and the pistons pulled, are there any visible cracks anywhere on the block or cylinder walls?

Also, how many trips out since dewinterizing did it take before these issues showed up?

If there's water above and below the pistons I would say it's likely the intake gaskets or intake manifold itself. If it were a problem in the cylinder head it's more likely to have just a small amount of water on the top side of the piston and milky oil. If it were a problem with the exhaust manifold again the water would be on top of the piston because it would be entering via the exhaust port from exhaust scavenging.

I made a few call and they all said the same thing I am thinking. If it was a gasket it would be one side but not both in less it was both gasket. Block I don't see how it sounds like a crack in the intake itself I sure hope I am wrong. You can have it tested.

What's surprising is it's both cylinder banks. If it was just an intake gasket, only one bank would be water logged? Wierd issue, gonna have to contemplate this one.

Sounds like all major components will have to be tested for cracks, I think they do this under ultraviolet light?

Keep us posted, and good luck,

Steve B.

edit: now I'm starting to wonder if it has either two bad/incorrrect head gaskets, and or two bad/incorrect intake gaskets.

Edited by Steve B.

Are you thinking that backing the boat without flaps could flood the engine with water?

It definitely is a possibility.

Are you thinking that backing the boat without flaps could flood the engine with water?

Or when you cut the engine, sometimes it will rotate backwards a bit, sucking water in the exhaust if the flaps are leaking.

Yea, I don't think it's a regular thing. But if you think about it, as many times we start & stop these boats on any given day on the water, even if it happened 1% of the time, that could be a problem if the flaps were all dried out & cracked or not sealing well.

My boat has the stainless turn downs so I am not sure if there if flaps behind them. I ran the boat for roughly 10 hours before the problem started. The block pressure tested out as good. If it was engine was vacuum back in when shut down it woudn't happen so many times to progressively get worse.

martinarcher

Wow..so the block was pressure tested and passed. I didn't expect that. The water on both sides of the pistons is what has me stumped. Even with water coming in the exhaust flappers and into both manifolds, you should only have water on top of the pistons and in that case having it happen on both banks is rare to say the least.

Who's doing the pressure testing? What did they think? This one has me curious.