Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What's your Tower speaker advice

Smalsv

What is your idea of the best performing tower speaker for a reasonable amount of money? Wet Sounds seems to be very popular on this forum, but they are quite expensive for what you are getting. ARE THEY JUST THAT GOOD??? if so, I can deal with that, but want to make sure before I pay their premium. Tower speakers are my last addition to my boat this summer and i want to make the right decision the first time. I'm always looking long term. Please give me some solid advice. thanks.

Personally the best bang for the buck retail price is NVS but they are shutting their doors and retiring.

I've run Wetsounds but thats cause the shop I got the hook up at runs wetsounds.

what are your goals with tower speakers? If you just want to lift the sound out of the boat so you can hear music while swimming or at the party cove, there are lots and lots of options. wetsounds might not be the best one depending on your goals and budget. The biggest and baddest speakers from wetsounds also require considerable amps to power them, so factor that premium into the high price.

There is a huge markup on their gear too, so it's not hard to find this stuff at below retail (though near impossible on the interwebs).

I don't have much experience with the different brands but I have recently installed wetsounds Rev10's. They sound good however, I am very intrigued by the Audio Formz 10" tower speakers. After talking with them on the phone it sounds like they would be killer. All american made pro audio Eminence drivers custom made for marine applications. Plus they are 2 ohm speakers so you can run a smaller amp and get them more power.

If anyone has any experience Audion Formz then let me know! Who knows, I might try them and have some Rev10's for sale!

I tied up at texoma with a guy who had a set but he never turned his stereo on so I don't know.

The speakers where normal pa stuff with paper cones but that's all I can tell.

They looked good though.

Installed SXTQ65's from exile with their 400.4 amp, very, very happy with them, found them for $400.00 + $250.00 for the amp, stereo sounds so much better.

"The Best" is what ever sounds best to you, fits your needs and your budget. Whatever you buy, please don't under power them! The lack of a good quality amp to run the drivers is lost by many a boat owner after they spend $750-$1,000 on towers and then come back to the forums to complain that they don't work as advertised.

• Like 2

Eminence is nothing special by any means and the fact that is American made knocks it down in most audiophiles opinion. You can go and get a emininence 8" for 50 bucks and put a coating on the speaker to help with water resistance.

Now start talking about some European made drives such as beyma...now you have some decent equipment.

I have a pair of Wetsound Icon8s that i love. They are loud enough to hear while boarding, but also have crisp clean quality while in the boat. My personal opinion is that you are going to have to spend some money to get good sound. As mentioned earlier in this thread, "the best" tower speakers are only as good as the amp pushing them. Save the money and do it right the first time. It will be worth it.

we got Wetsounds, and I did the full Monty on our install (for us at least, with 2 pair Rev 10's). My reasoning is that I've learned from past experiences...put these speakers, amp, etc...in, and then replace them a few years down the road. we tend to keep our boats for a long time, so when we bought the new boat, I dropped it off at Chucktronics asking him to do it up right. all i can say is that the system is night and day even from our last system (with 485's). I told Ryan that I want something that I'm going to be happy with for the next 10 years...and I'm beyond satisfied. If you want something clean, clear, and loud...do the investment up front if you can. My $.02 anyway.

I don't have much experience with the different brands but I have recently installed wetsounds Rev10's. They sound good however, I am very intrigued by the Audio Formz 10" tower speakers. After talking with them on the phone it sounds like they would be killer. All american made pro audio Eminence drivers custom made for marine applications. Plus they are 2 ohm speakers so you can run a smaller amp and get them more power.

If anyone has any experience Audion Formz then let me know! Who knows, I might try them and have some Rev10's for sale!

My only thought is that you might have your Rev 10's underpowered? Or maybe just looking for the next greatest thing? I only say that because I couldn't imagine wanting or needing more than 2 pair of Rev 10's unless Van Halen was going to be performing live on my boat.

Ya I saw some lower cost Eminence stuff on parts express. I am not an audiophile by any means but I have a buddy with a set of DJ speakers that have Eminence drivers and it will go so loud without distorting it feels like your ears are going to explode. Not top of the line stuff but definitely good performing gear. I own and have heard some good sounding Dayton Audio and BIC equipment that was not expensive at all. This is why I am interested to hear how the Audio Formz 10's sound.

My only thought is that you might have your Rev 10's underpowered? Or maybe just looking for the next greatest thing? I only say that because I couldn't imagine wanting or needing more than 2 pair of Rev 10's unless Van Halen was going to be performing live on my boat.

That post might have been a little misleading. I am very happy with my Revs. Just curious about what else is out there. That's all.

I've looked at every brand mentioned in this discussion. Compared to many boat stereo items to purchase, the tower speakers are way out of price range for what you are receiving for your $$$$s. They are truly a very POOR VALUE. Low bang for your buck. I guess their popularity has ran their price tags up to an elevated level (but outrageous for comparison sake). Beats all I've ever seen. You would almost think they are a McIntosh home stereo product. I've bought many home and car stereo products from names like Rotel, Adcom, Rockford, Clarion, etc. I guess I am complaining, but this almost motivates me to go out and start my own manufacturing. These products are simply overpriced. If I was on the profiting end of this deal, I'd be extremely happy with that kind of profit margin.

Poor value? I bought a set of Pro 80s new and used them hard for 2 yrs.... And sold them for 75% of what I paid for them on Craigs.

The higher end HCLDs are in demand, nothing on the water can do what they do.

I'd urge you to listen to the newer XM9s or the Rev 10s. Powered well they sound amazing, and completely change what folks think is possible and expect loud sound to sound like out on the water.

I've bought many home and car stereo products from names like Rotel, Adcom, Rockford, Clarion, etc. I guess I am complaining, but this almost motivates me to go out and start my own manufacturing. These products are simply overpriced. If I was on the profiting end of this deal, I'd be extremely happy with that kind of profit margin.

Car audio and marine audio are two different things. Different technology and materials. I've had plenty of loud car stereos but nothing as loud and as clear as a Rev8 or pair of Rev10's. Marine stuff has always been more expensive and thats just how it is. I agree that it sucks, but i feel that quality of these products are worth the extra $. Exspecially when they are made in America!!

Car audio and marine audio are two different things. Different technology and materials. I've had plenty of loud car stereos but nothing as loud and as clear as a Rev8 or pair of Rev10's. Marine stuff has always been more expensive and thats just how it is. I agree that it sucks, but i feel that quality of these products are worth the extra $. Exspecially when they are made in America!!

They aren't made in america, none of them. Nobody would pay the price if they were. The tower speakers are the only thing far removed from car audio.

i didnt know that, but i can say their customer service is based in American and its top notch.

So is exiles, skylon, kickers, nvs, etc... List goes on.