Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Plastic Skis - which one is best?

MoonDawg

I think I understand what you mean but why waste your time learning on a lesser ski and continually spend money to trade up. Why not buy as much as you can and be all you can be. I still have a good 20 years of ripping left in my body. The HO Monza looks pretty good to me.

I bought what I considered the best ski available at the time and it has served me well. If you distribute the cost over 35 years and about 100 rides a year that ski cost me about 5 cents per ride. I'll concede that there were some high maintenance costs involved in spar vanrnish, sand paper, steel wool brushes and thinner. So maybe 88skiers Resin/Glass/Aluminum Mach 1 would have been a better investment. But today I still own a piece of Art. Biggrin.gif

Jack: This is what I thik is fun about the internet! This is the kind of stuff that keeps me coming back, so, yep, I go tmy beer, well coffee becuase it's early morning and I'm ready to watch and add my flare where it's applicable.

Moondawg: Excellent question!!! And I have spent a lot of bandwidth here trying to get at that issue. I don't think that anyone is wasting time riding, even on a wood ski, because you're on the water having fun. I think it each skier has to make some choices along their progression of skiing as to what suits them. The skiers that have some good education and guidence know what factors are important and make descisions based on those factors. Most make descision based on someone elses factors and make desicions that hold their potential back. I think there are ranges in skiing where certain designs are better suited to a skiers stlye and I have been trying to get that across. Marketing is directly opposed to my thoughts though. The ski companies want you all to ride a ski that most can't really use or is well suited to their style at that time. The only compelling reason not to go out and buy the top of the line rocket, when you are at 30mph 15 off, is that it's designed to go 60mph and 39 off. There are some differences between those two rides. All of you will go through a learning curve where you pick up different techniques that help to progress on to the next level. Some of it also depends on what your goal is. Are you looking for something to go out in any water conditions and temps? Are you looking for something that is easy to get up on and is easy on your body when you're out with friends? Are you looking to get to the shortest line you can get to?

Goodes are incredably sensetive to water temps and need constant fiddling to maintain their optimal performance. Monza is not well suited to rough conditions and is somewhat temperant too. D3 and CW aren't the fastest skis but perform optimally under a wide variety of conditions.

Ok enough of that... Now let's talk about costs. I think as a general rule skiers should spend a little more money their ski per ride then what they spend on their beer per ride. So if you have three beers after two sets and the beers cost you $1.50/2 is $.75/set. Moondawg, you gotta get a new synthetic composite ride.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MoonDawg

• NorCaliBu

• skisix@38

• VinRLX

I think as a general rule skiers should spend a little more money their ski per ride then what they spend on their beer per ride. So if you have three beers after two sets and the beers cost you $1.50/2 is $.75/set. Moondawg, you gotta get a new synthetic composite ride.

ROFL.gif

Six, no offense intended in my comment, I hope none was taken. At first I thought this post had all the earmarks of a BaylinerNut/BaylinerNuts-Ex type of thread. Now I see otherwise. And your statements above make LOTS of good sense.

I think as a general rule skiers should spend a little more money their ski per ride then what they spend on their beer per ride. So if you have three beers after two sets and the beers cost you $1.50/2 is $.75/set. Moondawg, you gotta get a new synthetic composite ride.

ROFL.gif

Six, no offense intended in my comment, I hope none was taken. At first I thought this post had all the earmarks of a BaylinerNut/BaylinerNuts-Ex type of thread. Now I see otherwise. And your statements above make LOTS of good sense.

None taken at all VinRLX! I was just poking a little fun a Moondawg and trying to give him a way to calculate what his next ski should cost. All in fun!!!!

But now with a bit more seriousness, Come on guys, I think we can all afford a little more then the $200 for a Wileys CDX! That ski is a sled and is retired for a reason. Spend another $100 and get on a X5 or even something that HO offers that was designed and built in this decade. Another $100 will probably break down to another $.25/set. Then you can enjoy the intangable benefits of getting free of the boat and arcing a turn instead of coming up on a ball and wondering when you're going to turn.

EDIT: Because I know someone with a CDX is going to read my statement and be offended. Sorry. I'm not saying that if you're on a CDX now and it's working good enough for you, that you should immediately go to Carbonworx.com and buy a new ski. I'm saying that if you are in the market for a new ski, I think you owe it to yourselves to set your sights a little higher.

Edited by skisix@38
...if you could put more of anything in your ski, wouldn't it be more wood?

More wood? No.gif More cowbell!! :lol:

...Then you can enjoy the intangable benefits of getting free of the boat and arcing a turn instead of coming up on a ball and wondering when you're going to turn.

Cry.gif It's my ski?? Cry.gif Well, I guess the good news is it's not me. The bad news is I have to explain to the wife why I need a new ski. Biggrin.gif

Edited by NorCaliBu
At first I thought this post had all the earmarks of a BaylinerNut/BaylinerNuts-Ex type of thread. Now I see otherwise.

Same here...after reading about a 35 yr old "tricked out" woody with holes drilled in the fin, wings stuck on, rubber bindings rotting off, skiing at 40 mph with a 100' rope cut in half to avoid banging into the sides of the Colorado River while deciding against one of them new fangled plastic skis...I thought surely we were dealing with the "Masa" of slalom skiing. Crazy.gif

You must have a good sales pitch up your sleeve, don't you?

Cry.gif No. Cry.gif Help? :)

Hydro-dynamic pyscho therapy! It normally costs, what, $100 per session. And everyone knows that it takes at least 10 sessions to get anything accomplished. And you can buy a CW for only $700 and it'll last for at least 3-4 years. So, that is a bargain!

try that and let me know if it works.....

Hydro-dynamic pyscho therapy!...try that and let me know if it works.....

The only result I would expect from that would be... Tomato.gif

I might have just one shot so I better make it count. Biggrin.gif

got your big chance Tuesday to pave the way...don't screw it up!

Oh, don't worry about that...I can always screw things up... :blush: ... :lol:

Problem is, if I spend all my $$ buttering her up then I got no $$ for the ski. Cry.gif

EDIT: Because I know someone with a CDX is going to read my statement and be offended. Sorry. I'm not saying that if you're on a CDX now and it's working good enough for you, that you should immediately go to Carbonworx.com and buy a new ski. I'm saying that if you are in the market for a new ski, I think you owe it to yourselves to set your sights a little higher.

Nice Carbonworx plug!! Sorry, I couldn't resist. I haven't jabbed you in a while. Looking forward to skiing with you in May on my D3. This may have had a harsher tone if I were still on the CDX. just kidding

Cheers.gif

So has anyone pressed you for an explanation of Moondawg yet?

I grew up in Huntington Beach, CA. aka Surf City during the time of the Frankie and Annett beach parties and Gidget. Those movies reflected real life in the 50's and 60's, at least if you lived in a SoCal Beach City. Everyone had a nickname that your crew called you by in fact Gidget's boy friend was called Moon Doggie.

Moon Dawg'in is like Hot Dawg'in except you do it by the light of the moon. I was the only one of my friends that had to work for a living so I was known as the Moon Dawger because the only time I had to surf was after dark. There was a surf band from LA called The Gamblers which did a popular song in 1961 named Moon Dawg hence the spelling.

...Also consider some new hardware for the ole dawg just for old times sake.

Brad,

I think you have the best idea. I think I am going to buy a set of HO Animals (Large) and mount them to my woody for the choppy days. Then I am going to go out and buy the fastest synthetic composite rocket I can find - because speed is where it is at and who says you can't have more than one...Look at the size of GT's collection. Biggrin.gif

..... I think as a general rule skiers should spend a little more money their ski per ride then what they spend on their beer per ride. So if you have three beers after two sets and the beers cost you $1.50/2 is $.75/set. Moondawg, you gotta get a new synthetic composite ride.

Great! I drink the expensive micro brewery stuff (Polygamy Porter) so I will have a bigger budget and like my beer why just have one!? Biggrin.gif

_1627651_polygamy-porter.jpg

Edited by MoonDawg
got your big chance Tuesday to pave the way...don't screw it up!
Oh, don't worry about that...I can always screw things up... :blush: ... :lol:

Yahoo.gif I didn't screw it up, I didn't screw it up... Yahoo.gif

I rode a System 8 after church this morning and even riding a 68" (I'm only 160 lbs, I need a 67) with large bindings (I wear medium) I was still very impressed with how much faster this ski is vs my trusty old CDX-1. I ordered one from Wiley's this afternoon. Yahoo.gif Only $550 with double Approach Bindings. Yahoo.gif Now I gotta get it dialed before the clinic. :)

Looks like life took a "turn" to the good for MoonDawg and NorCaliBu. Enjoy the new toys! I hope they make you feel like a kid again!

Yahoo.gifYahoo.gifYahoo.gif

Edited by dlb
I'm not sure your dial spins that fast.

:biteme: Old Man Winter. Tongue.gif

You're just jealous I got to ski this week-end. Tongue.gif

And I'm skiing again next week-end. Tongue.gif

On my new ski. Tongue.gif

How thick is the ice on your lake? Tongue.gif

:lol:

I'm not sure your dial spins that fast.

:biteme: Old Man Winter. Tongue.gif

You're just jealous I got to ski this week-end. Tongue.gif

And I'm skiing again next week-end. Tongue.gif

On my new ski. Tongue.gif

How thick is the ice on your lake? Tongue.gif

:lol:

Boy, Michael, you really ARE jazzed about that ski, aren't you? Did my little comment really deserve such a barrage? I think not. Crazy.gif

Oh, and the ice is about 10" which is nothing for this time of year. (it's been closer to 30" some years)

Did my little comment really deserve such a barrage?

Biggrin.gif You insulted my dial speed. :lol:

Oh, and the ice is about 10" which is nothing for this time of year. (it's been closer to 30" some years)

No.gif I don't know how you do it. I couldn't. No.gif

Now I gotta get it dialed before the clinic. :)

I see I'm really gonna have to earn my money at the clinic to get you to ski well on a S8 Shocking.gif .

Really though, Congrats on the new ski and I hope you start skiing like you want before the clinic so I can get you that much further at the clinic.

So, moondawg. If our skis are plastic, what are our boats? Tell me you have an old '63 woody or chris craft or something you ski behind.

Now I gotta get it dialed before the clinic. :)

I see I'm really gonna have to earn my money at the clinic to get you to ski well on a S8 Shocking.gif

You gonna have to earn your money to get me to ski well period. Crazy.gif

I'm keeping my CDX for a while to make sure that I like the S8 as much as I think I do. If I'm struggling with the new stick come late April I'll bring the CDX too. :)

So, moondawg. If our skis are plastic, what are our boats? Tell me you have an old '63 woody or chris craft or something you ski behind.

Wood?! ... Me?! ... I am all about plastic now that I have my System 8 Biggrin.gif

Actually today I am kind of bummed because there is a Vintage Obrien Woody just listed on ebay that looks brand new and I spent all my money on a hunk of plastic... Now here is a ski that will last 35 years.

4a_1.JPG

Edited by MoonDawg