Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Leaky '99 Response LX....help!

Lars

My '99 Response it taking on water. The hull is tight (no cracks/leaks). I took it out yesterday and observed the following:

* inside the bilge compartment there is a hole on the starboard side. Water is coming in from that hole.

* inside the bilge compartment there is a hole on the port side (the hole doesn't look like it should be there, but i don't know). Water is coming in from that hole/crack.

* the floor carpet against to the right of the engine and against the wall of the hull on the starboard side always gets wet. (Water just to the right of the engine carpet stays dry).

If the hull is tight, how could water get in the boat and leak into those bilge holes? What are those bilge holes? The starboard hole looks like it should be there, but the port hole doesn't look like it is from the manufacturer. I am stumped.

Any ideas????

Edited by Lars

MDS LEAK???? I had a similar issue and it was my heater core had a hole. Is the water hot?

The heater has been disconnected. The hoses for the heater are not even connected to the engine right now. I just filled the bilge with water and it is leaking from the hole on the bottom of the boat where the drive shaft comes out.

Always rule out the dreaded HDS leak first.

yes, i just started reading about the HDS on here. I'd never heard of it before, and i confirmd that i do, indeed, have one on my boat. i just filled the bilge with water, and noticed that water is coming out of the bottom of the boat where the drive shaft exits. does that tell you anything?

Yes, that sounds like an HDS. Plus the HDS leak is a very stout leak when you are out on the lake. Also look for stress cracks in the gel coat under your boat between the strut and the rudder.

Edited by eyepeeler

Yes, that sounds like an HDS. Plus the HDS leak is a very stout leak when you are out on the lake. Also look for stress cracks in the gel coat under your boat between the strut and the rudder.

Thank you. Any idea what those holes are in the bilge? They are on both sides. That's where I'm getting most of the water. If it's the HDS (rear of boat) how does water get into the bilge through those holes?

that is a bilge liner under the engine. it's not part of the fiberglass hull.

wag: water is weeping between the liner and the hull and giving the appearance of leaking through those holes in the liner.

wag: water is weeping between the liner and the hull and giving the appearance of leaking through those holes in the liner.

where could the water be coming from? is this related to damage in/under the HDS?

the water is coming from your damaged HDS...you proved it when you filled the bilge with water and watched it leak around the shaft.

thank you....so....is this a big deal? is this a fix that i can do myself? any idea about what a shop would charge to fix this? what is a damaged HDS exactly??

HDS damage is caused by the boat impacting something solid...ie, running aground, hitting a submerged log, etc. Nope, not a do it yourself project.

HDS damage is caused by the boat impacting something solid...ie, running aground, hitting a submerged log, etc. Nope, not a do it yourself project.

Thanks man; I really appreciate the info. I'll start looking for someone who can fix it.

one more question for you: why are there holes in the bilge lining? what's their purpose? would you say that the HDS is damaged, then water gets in, then the water drains between that lining and comes drains into the bilge?

one more question for you: why are there holes in the bilge lining? what's their purpose? would you say that the HDS is damaged, then water gets in, then the water drains between that lining and comes drains into the bilge?

don't know why (or even if) there are holes in your liner - this is just my guess given your description.

that smooth black liner runs almost the full length of the bilge.

water wandering between the fiberglass and the liner will give false 'leak' indications.

for instance there are times when it appears that i have water coming in through the bottom t-handle drain.

it's not leaking there, bilge water is just weeping up through that hole in the liner.

i'd bet a cold one that your hds leak is feeding water between the hull and the liner.

that water is going to look like it's leaking through any holes in the liner.

good luck w that hds.

Hate to sound stupid but what does HDS stand for? :loser:

Hydrophonic Dampening System.

post-14286-0-80765000-1338764930_thumb.j

Edited by glasslake

Or from throwing a blade on that blasted CVP stainless prop. Man, I hate those things!

The black bilge area is bonded to the hull of your boat. A sizable jar to the boat could cause that bond to break at the weakest link and water leaks in between the hull and the HDS box, and then into your bilge.

post-14286-0-04223100-1338767491_thumb.j

Wow. I'm glad that I joined this group. Thanks guys. I appreciate the time that you've taken to help me out. I will investigate my repair options, and then let you know how it turned out. I'm glad to be part of such a responsive Bu community!

Didn't get a response to this question on a related thread....but "how much" water are we talking about coming into the boat, and does it occur when boat is just sitting at the dock?

Wow. I'm glad that I joined this group. Thanks guys. I appreciate the time that you've taken to help me out. I will investigate my repair options, and then let you know how it turned out. I'm glad to be part of such a responsive Bu community!

Wow back the HDS train up a second here guys.

When you filled the bilge with water, did you fill it over the packing nut also?