Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need some boat buying help please!

K2rider

I need a little boat advice. I just purchased a house on a lake and am looking to pick up a boat to wakeboard behind. My budget isn’t too much right now with purchasing the house, so I’m trying to stay right around 20k or less. I’ve found a couple of wakesetters and sunsetter v’s, but they are usually sold within a day and I’m not able to jump on them fast enough. I’ve been talking to a dealer up in NH about a 2002 sunsetter dd because it’s within my price range and has been for sale for over a month now so he is getting anxious to move it. The problem I have with the sunsetter dd is that I also have a wakesetter 23 lsv that I leave up at my parents lake house (I’ve tried taking that down to my new house but the parents pay half the payments every month because they use it too and they’re not allowing it to leave) so I am used to riding the wake behind that and loaded up with a bunch of fat sacks it throws out a pretty big wake. So after all this, my real question is, if I go with the sunsetter and load it up with a couple thousand pounds of ballast and put the wedge down am I going to be able to get a wake comparable to a wakesetter? Or should I just keep holding out and wait for the right priced v-drive to come along and pick that up? Or does anyone know of someone looking to unload a boat right in that price range that will do what I'm looking for?

sunsetter hull the same as the original wakesetter VLXs (until 2005) and sunsetter VLXs until 2001. While its of course easier to build a wake with a vdrive given inherent rear weight bias, theoretically wake would eb the same if weighted precisely the same with same rear-bias.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

sunsetter hull the same as the original wakesetter VLXs (until 2005) and sunsetter VLXs until 2001. While its of course easier to build a wake with a vdrive given inherent rear weight bias, theoretically wake would eb the same if weighted precisely the same with same rear-bias.

2001 Sunsetter VLX is not the same hull as the previous SS VLX's - it is on the diamond hull.

I would wait for a V-drive. You can score one for 20k if you look/wait, and depends how well optioned you want it. I scored mine last summer for 20k, had 330 hours on it and was loaded (LS1, heater, docking light, tower, wedge, etc.). Took a lot of looking and negotiation to get there, but it can be done. Of course there is the 3k+ I've thrown at it in upgrades (all new auto-ballast, bimini, stereo upgrades, Perfect Pass, etc.).

You can get the wake you want out of a Sunsetter DD but you will not have any room for passengers. If it's just you and a buddy you can do it but if it's you, your wife + kids and freinds then you need to hold out for a V-drive for sure

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the help guys. I've been looking around and holding off for a v-drive and I may have found one. A guy in my area is selling a 1998 sunsetter vlx. With this description do you guys think that the $18,000 "firm" he is asking is a good price?

"1998 Malibu Sunsetter VLX, with only 400 hrs. total. Used only in Lake Sunapee and dealer winterized every year. This boat has every option including the Callaway Hammerhead 365 HP. engine, custom tandem axle trailer with spare, skylon pole and new sunbrella custom cover. Has built in table, cd/radio and lots of storage.

The boat itself looks meticulous interior and exterior, but I would have to add a tower, racks and upgrade the prop to get it to where I want it to be.