Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

some ski history -

Soon2BV

Here is some general ski history - not sure if it is 100%, but i thought I would pass on what i have heard -

Herb O'Brien was the O'Brien in O'Brien skis and equipment.

At some point he got divorced, and his wife ended up with O'Brien.

Herb then started HO skis.

HO and Hyperlite are made by the same company.

HO was later purchased by the same company that also had purchased O'Brien.

Herb later left HO, and started another company - the one that makes RADAR and RONIX equipment.

Kidder skis were popular in the 80's.

Denny Kidder started that company. Later sold it.

Then started KD skis.

I don't think Kidder or KD are still around.

Connelly is the "C" of CWB Wakeboards.

anyone else have some history?

Edited by Soon2BV

I have posted this info before for comment, but I was told that Iconn skis, that no longer exist, was started by Pat Connelly after leaving or selling Connelly skis in the 90's. Not sure if that's true or not though.

It's all a bit incestuous isn't it?

Do you know where Jobe fit in to this scenario?

Kidder skis were popular in the 80's.

Ron Kidder started that company. Later sold it.

Then started KD skis.

I don't think Kidder or KD are still around.

It was Denny Kidder.

1st was Kidder Skis (now gone).

2nd was KD Skis (also gone).

3rd is D3, as in Denny's 3rd company (currently going strong).

You want to see someone that's been through the industry research Bob LaPoint. :lol: Great guy. :yes:

but what about Cypress Gardens?

This is from another forum -

"Does anyone remember Hedley Boats? That was my grandfathers business. Before his passing, he built the boats and the skis for Cypress Gardens. In the 50's and 60's he had designed and built a lot of boats. One of the first "Air Boats", "Pontoon Boat", also ski boats and custom boats for a lot of people."

I would assume Cypres Garden's Skis and d*** Pope / Jr. Skis were made by the same company.

I don't know, but I thought Jobe was apart of HO?

Have heard most to the above posted, but what about Cypress Gardens?

Goode?

Kinda off topic but...

I'm originally from FLA, before moving to TX back in the 90's. I remember going to CG and seeing Malibu as the official Towboat.

I believe Stars of Florida was created out of the team that used to ski for CG.

Not sure about Goode?

Herb O'brien went to jail in 1975 for drug smuggling, lost O'brien skis and started HO when he got out.

Scott

Correct! Smuggling about $3 mil worth of cocaine in O'Brien skis and false bottom suitcases.

I also heard, but haven't seen reputable sources saying Herb was kicked off the board at HO/Hyperlite, but he does still own much stock in the company.

Also haven't heard of Ron Kidder...do you mean Denny Kidder? (KD backwards initials)

Edited by SeanQ

Some have referred to HO standing for "hollowed out" although O'brien skis were the ones involved. He did his time, and has regained remarkable success with Square One (Ronix/Radar).

O'brien, HO, and several other manufacturers of WB's now owned by a parent company controlled by somene named Bob Archer (as I recall). Not many real "independents" left.

Edited by 85 Barefoot
jkendallmsce

NOt sure why or how foiler knows Herb did not need the money...like the article said, it is a very competitive business. I guess Herb tried smuggling as a lark or a frat dare??

Denny lived a few houses down the street, a few decades ago!! The nicest guy you'll ever meet. We had a few chats about the verbage on the back of most bindings, about how death may occur.....and how being drunk as all get out actually will get you more money when you sue....love them lawyers. ANd yes, D3, is his third ski making company.

ANd Bob is still one of the best skiers EVER. If you could put him in a time machine, and make him 25 years old he'd be number 1...again. Watched him ski at Diablo shores a few years ago...he is still one of the best out on the water.

Something left out, as there was a great article about the history of the waterski industry, is that Boeing was very instrumental in the transformation from wood, to fiberglass to the present carbon technology, as Boeing is a leader in that world.

Thanks Bill. Great read.

My uncle made some some wooden skis in shop class in high school and we still have them. They're huge, straight sided and only rise in the tips, otherwise flat. His son-in-law was a top mens amateur two years ago and while at the family reunion he was going to ride one, but lost his confidence when he saw the bindings only covered your feet, not even up the ankle a little bit. He didn't want to risk it as nationals were the following week and he'd have no time to recover from an ankle injury.

Bill a lot of interesting tidbits there. Thanks.

There is a thread I came across at a Moomba forum that has a lot of similar information to what the OP started with...

http://www.moomba.com/msgboard/archive/index.php/t-7943.html

i was searching for Wally Burr related info as I saw an old WB ski on an auction site for an astronomical amount, and that let me to finding some articles on O'Brien's shenanagin's...

It was O'Brien, he was financing the purchases to bail out OBrien (not AMF etc.) and his CFO was involved also. They would ship skis to Chile, then make the purchase and ship them back to the US and empty them in the factory in Redmond. This is all available in The Seattle Times archives and miscellaneous court documents found by searching Bing (or Google, or...)

• 4 months later...

I just got word that Herb O'brien passed away this morning. Herb O'brien was definitley a force in the waterski industry and the man that invented wakeboarding.He was definitley an industry icon.

Where did you hear this? I haven't seen anything about that and a google search shows nothing.

Where did you hear this? I haven't seen anything about that and a google search shows nothing.

My buddy, who was a close friend of Herb's told me this morning. He passed away early this morning.