Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Standalone Garage for Boat

Asmodeus2112

I'm thinking about spending $25-35k to build a separate garage to house my $15k bu... :crazy: Sounds crazy, but we're assuming it will add value to the property and it will protect future boats as well. Not to mention we'll do more with the space outside of just store a boat.

Anyone care to help me rationalize this? I'm sure some of ya'll have done the same thing, did it work out? Any tips?

If you were closer to me, I could get you some cheap 24' wide roof trusses and you could make it as long as you want.

But I agree, even I need to build me something as well.

Figuring out a budget way to do the same. Right now we have a 1.5 attached and a 1.5 detached. The attached has to stay as is unless we reroute the driveway, so tearing down the detached and rebuilding it would make the most sense. It's also at a slightly lower elevation so adding a loft or mezzanine above it wouldn't be out of the question while still looking respectable. I'll have to check the laws, but I can fit at least a 2.5 and probably even a 3 car back there.

Not going to happen this year so we'll be probably be adding a lean-to on the side of it with pavers on the ground for the boat.

I like the Idea of a tall garage with a loft above the boat. My old neighbor had a detached garage/ shop with a loft above. Basically it was just a man cave (pool table, tv's, bar, etc)

Asmodeus, if you plan on staying where you are at Rule #1 for me was, build it for your next boat. Rule #2 was match the existing structure if possible/affordable. Before I got my LSV I had a a Moomba OBV and it would fit in anything. When I built it I made sure that my main door would accomodate the LSVs height before I actually bought one. The G3 folded will go under an 8' door no problems even with the racks on with @ 2" to spare. I wanted the tower to be up when inside so I put a 10' ceiling in, again no problem @ 4" to spare, but the floor does have a 2" drop rear to front. I had the walls built on 2 foot of block and used std 8 foot studs to get the height. Some guys like to be able to drive in w/o putting the tower down, but even with a 10/12 pitched roof on my house the 10 or 11 foot door required to drive in would of been uglier than a 3 legged chupa cabra IMO. with a 10' foot ceiling you will ahve to put in stairs somewhere (which takes up space) as I couldn't find a 10 foot drop down ladder for access above the boat any where. I suppose a custom step could of been built, but the garage is 30x40 so I really don't use above the boat anyway. Wire for 220 outlet and have alot of 110s. I put 110s in the ceiling also for the charger and working in the boat with lights/wet vac etc..

That's a sizeable budget for a garage. I've been able to get a quote for 10k to do a 24x30 storage garage, 10' doors, on a concrete slab. This will be at the back of my property as it isn't something nice enough to have next to the house. 25-35k can build you something pretty fancy.

Right on. Wish I had the cash or real estate to make it happen myself.

This might be something for another thread, but last Saturday I went to a party at a friend's friend's house...... they called it a "shophouse". It was basically a 60' x 120' shop. At one end of the shop, it had a 12' x 12' door in the middle & an 8' x 10' doors on either side. Then at the far end of the shop they had a wall with a doorway. Thru that door was the house area .... the living room with cathedral ceilings & a cool rock fireplace. Off to the right was a gorgeous kitchen with granite counters & hickory cupboards.. In that space was also 2 bedrooms & 2 bathrooms. It was a really nice place. Not terribly big, maybe 1200 - 1400 sq ft., but it was just 3 of them living there. Also, upstairs off the master bedroom & bath, there was a door out to the shop area. Thru that door was a large room open to the shop below, and big enough for a pool table, bar, etc. And they had 2 other large rooms off to the side that were walled off, insulated, heated, etc., but they had not really taken advantage of it yet. The shop area was literally large enough that I could pull my truck & trailer inside one side door & turn 180 dregrees around & drive out the door on the far side. It was COOL! The guy had his ATV, his Kubota tractor, his kids toys, etc., all inside the shop, with thousands of sq ft to spare. Oh, and the kid had this badass rope swing inside too.

The really ironic thing was it was done up so well that my wife actually said she could live in it very comfortably. :woot:

• Like 2

That's a sizeable budget for a garage. I've been able to get a quote for 10k to do a 24x30 storage garage, 10' doors, on a concrete slab. This will be at the back of my property as it isn't something nice enough to have next to the house. 25-35k can build you something pretty fancy.

Most of the budget will be for concrete to build the drive down to the garage. Benefits of living on a hill....

Asmodeus, if you plan on staying where you are at Rule #1 for me was, build it for your next boat. Rule #2 was match the existing structure if possible/affordable. Before I got my LSV I had a a Moomba OBV and it would fit in anything. When I built it I made sure that my main door would accomodate the LSVs height before I actually bought one. The G3 folded will go under an 8' door no problems even with the racks on with @ 2" to spare. I wanted the tower to be up when inside so I put a 10' ceiling in, again no problem @ 4" to spare, but the floor does have a 2" drop rear to front. I had the walls built on 2 foot of block and used std 8 foot studs to get the height. Some guys like to be able to drive in w/o putting the tower down, but even with a 10/12 pitched roof on my house the 10 or 11 foot door required to drive in would of been uglier than a 3 legged chupa cabra IMO. with a 10' foot ceiling you will ahve to put in stairs somewhere (which takes up space) as I couldn't find a 10 foot drop down ladder for access above the boat any where. I suppose a custom step could of been built, but the garage is 30x40 so I really don't use above the boat anyway. Wire for 220 outlet and have alot of 110s. I put 110s in the ceiling also for the charger and working in the boat with lights/wet vac etc..

Good points. We still are waiting for initial quotes, but we intend to go with the largest/tallest standard doors. I don't necessarily know this is a fact, but generally once one gets outside of standards things get expensive fast. We're hoping to maximize price/sq. Ft/usability....

I built my house with an oversized 3 car garage 6 years ago. this year I added a 24' carport on the side tall enough for the bu with tower up. I also have a 30'x40' shop at my office. with 2 kids driving and a coulple of classic cars everything is full. and if it was not full I have freinds that need space so you can't go to big.

Remember that 'next boat' thing. Many towers are over 10 feet tall. I built mine with a 12 foot garage door and am very glad I did. Most RV's also can go for more than 10 feet by the time they have accessories on top. So my advice is go for 12 feet so that if the next guy does not own a boat, they don't see it as a complete waste.

Remember that 'next boat' thing. Many towers are over 10 feet tall. I built mine with a 12 foot garage door and am very glad I did. Most RV's also can go for more than 10 feet by the time they have accessories on top. So my advice is go for 12 feet so that if the next guy does not own a boat, they don't see it as a complete waste.

For an RV, you want to have a 14' high door. 12' wide would be best for the RV as well, although you can get by with a 10' wide door. I found this out the hard way on the width.

Here is a link to a discussion and pictures of my house when we built it 5yrs ago. The space has worked out great for us, especially for the boat and gear.

Build it bigger than you think you are gonna need, then I would do at least 12 foot wide doors. I would build as much as you can afford. And if you want to pimp the inside out but can't do it as big now... just build it big then do the inside later on. Guy in my club has 12x12 doors on his shop and parks his supra with tower in it easily. The ceiling height is around 14 feet at it's lowest because he plans to add a lift

Well, not sure if we can build big enough for an RV. Our house is older and has two 7' x 7' doors, so it's not possible to even get some of the bigger trucks in there. I think that if I can do a 12' x 8' or 12' x 10' door on a stand alone it will still be good to have a third car option big enough for big trucks, which we have plenty of here in TX. I live in somewhat close in to town, so having a third car garage is an exception in the area. I suppose another option is to move, but we'll easily spend what it will cost to build the garage on commissions and other expenses...

I built a 20 wide x 28 long with 8' tall x 16 wide door. I have a 12 foot wide attic upstairs built into the trusses. The roof is a 1 to 1 pitch to match the house so it has the same lines. Built it myself but had the pad poured by a contractor. still no electric or concrete drive but only have about 12k in it. My vlx fits just fine. The building is just a weatherproof shell right now but will add electric, insulation and drywall as time and budget allow. I have gotten a lot of props and even had a few people ask me to build for them. Dont know if i have the energy to do it again. You should go for it...once

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

I built a 20 wide x 28 long with 8' tall x 16 wide door. I have a 12 foot wide attic upstairs built into the trusses. The roof is a 1 to 1 pitch to match the house so it has the same lines. Built it myself but had the pad poured by a contractor. still no electric or concrete drive but only have about 12k in it. My vlx fits just fine. The building is just a weatherproof shell right now but will add electric, insulation and drywall as time and budget allow. I have gotten a lot of props and even had a few people ask me to build for them. Dont know if i have the energy to do it again. You should go for it...once

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Nice. My inclination is always to do it myself, but I'm out of hours in the day right now with two kids, work, DIY bathroom redo, yard work and on and on... I design things in 3D CAD with Solidworks, so I want to jump in and make something cool.

Right on. Wish I had the cash or real estate to make it happen myself.

This might be something for another thread, but last Saturday I went to a party at a friend's friend's house...... they called it a "shophouse". It was basically a 60' x 120' shop. At one end of the shop, it had a 12' x 12' door in the middle & an 8' x 10' doors on either side. Then at the far end of the shop they had a wall with a doorway. Thru that door was the house area .... the living room with cathedral ceilings & a cool rock fireplace. Off to the right was a gorgeous kitchen with granite counters & hickory cupboards.. In that space was also 2 bedrooms & 2 bathrooms. It was a really nice place. Not terribly big, maybe 1200 - 1400 sq ft., but it was just 3 of them living there. Also, upstairs off the master bedroom & bath, there was a door out to the shop area. Thru that door was a large room open to the shop below, and big enough for a pool table, bar, etc. And they had 2 other large rooms off to the side that were walled off, insulated, heated, etc., but they had not really taken advantage of it yet. The shop area was literally large enough that I could pull my truck & trailer inside one side door & turn 180 dregrees around & drive out the door on the far side. It was COOL! The guy had his ATV, his Kubota tractor, his kids toys, etc., all inside the shop, with thousands of sq ft to spare. Oh, and the kid had this badass rope swing inside too.

The really ironic thing was it was done up so well that my wife actually said she could live in it very comfortably. :woot:

Around here, outside the limits of the city building inspector, the shop house is used to hide luxury from the eyes of the tax man. They can be so nice on the inside you could forget you are in a metal building.

IMG_20110504_201313.jpg

P1050907.jpg

P1060020.jpg

his newer supra is taller and bigger and still fits. This is my buddies garage that I saw in person for the first time yesterday. Its a 40wx30d

Go for it. I just started my project today. Knocking down back wall in garage and moving it 5 feet back to fit boat in.

Ha ha. That's another reason I want a new one in the back. I have to pull my boat in the driveway forwards, unhook the truck at the top of the small hill, and put the boat in the garage by hand tongue first. The front of the trailer goes into a closet that used to hold the air compressor and the hitch has to go in between the studs and against the outer sheeting. With the platform off that leaves me about 1.5" clearance to the garage door.

Right now there is an unused dog kennel on one side, a planter and pavers on the other side, and a lean-to across the back. Should be room for a good sized cave back there someday. Plus the blacktop driveway is full width (3 wide), so there shouldn't be much work to make that match up. I've got 230v back there and a wood burner for heat, but no water or gas so that would be the biggest headache.