Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Speaking of Major injuries and Safety Gear...

turbophil

I'm getting ready to start the new season like everyone, but last year mine ended early in July on a pretty sour note...

I was slalom skiing near a damn where the smooth water was and some cruiser came into the area. I wasn't paying attention to the swells rolling in, which caused me to crash in such a way that my ski tip went through my skull....Yep, my double boot ski, which stayed on both feel actually hit my head hard enough just behind my left ear that I fractured my skull... Shocking.gif

Pretty scary really. I was out cold for about an hour and lost oodles of blood (I cut an artery and some muscles that attach to my jaw as well) before the life flight came to the lake to take me to the hospital. 5 hours with a neuro (sp?) surgeon later, I was back together. I had to stay the night for observation and was banned from driving for a few weeks... Crazy.gif

So this spring will be my first time back out and I'm thinking I might try a helmet of some kind this year. I've been skiing for 20 years with no injuries other than this one...but it got me thinking... Anyone ski with a helmet? I've never seen it done and I've never seen a helmet advertised for skiing, but I'm a bit gun shy now...That was a pretty tough experience and I don't feel as resilient as I used to Innocent.gif

Thanks!

Sounds like a pretty freak occurence but I certainly understand the being gun-shy part.

I got my boys and I Pro-Tec Wake Ace (or maybe it's Ace Wake???) Helmets for use while wakeboarding and wakeskating. They're very comfy and can be had for around $50. There's really no reason you couldn't wear one for slalom.

I'm getting ready to start the new season like everyone, but last year mine ended early in July on a pretty sour note...

I was slalom skiing near a damn where the smooth water was and some cruiser came into the area. I wasn't paying attention to the swells rolling in, which caused me to crash in such a way that my ski tip went through my skull....Yep, my double boot ski, which stayed on both feel actually hit my head hard enough just behind my left ear that I fractured my skull... Shocking.gif

Pretty scary really. I was out cold for about an hour and lost oodles of blood (I cut an artery and some muscles that attach to my jaw as well) before the life flight came to the lake to take me to the hospital. 5 hours with a neuro (sp?) surgeon later, I was back together. I had to stay the night for observation and was banned from driving for a few weeks... Crazy.gif

So this spring will be my first time back out and I'm thinking I might try a helmet of some kind this year. I've been skiing for 20 years with no injuries other than this one...but it got me thinking... Anyone ski with a helmet? I've never seen it done and I've never seen a helmet advertised for skiing, but I'm a bit gun shy now...That was a pretty tough experience and I don't feel as resilient as I used to Innocent.gif

Thanks!

When you say that you were slalom skiing near a damn, does that mean it wasn't worth a damn? Sorry, couldn't resist. Glad that you are healed up and ready to get back out on the stick. I can't say that I have seen slalom skiers with a helmet, but certainly plenty of wakeboarders, especially when hitting rails.

When you say that you were slalom skiing near a damn, does that mean it wasn't worth a damn? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Doh! :blush: I'm too accustomed to swearing I guess Innocent.gif I blame that on the head injury. I do that a lot these days:)

Edited by turbophil

Hey Phil,

So glad to hear that you're healed up & ready to go! I can't see any reason that you couldn't wear a helmet for slalom either. I've heard of some freaky ways of a ski hitting you (my dad wore the imprint of his ski on his chest for a few weeks when I was small, it hit him that hard), you never can tell how & when it will happen. If you're gunshy, then the helmet will probably allow you to enjoy it more & probably ski better.

Thanks.

Any ideas on which helmet would be the best for skiing...I feel like an even bigger dork than I already am for asking about a ski helmet, but what the heck Biggrin.gif

Glad to hear that you are ok! My brother had a nice crash 2 summers ago where he face planted and somehow the wakeboard came up and nailed him in the head. Dontknow.gif He had to have 20+ stitches and and it bled like a mother cause it nailed an artery (I think thats what it was) I still remeber being in the ER with him and my mom and when the unclamped the thing blood squirted on the wall...I thought it was awesome, my mom was about ready to pass out and my brother was crying :lol:

we have two protec helmets, the one that NCB just showed (with the ear flaps) and the one without the flaps. I have to use the flaps (they kill the volume of music) because I have ruptured my ear drum twice.

Good to hear your back up and running. That will definately change your prospective. Had a pretty hard crash snowboarding that forced me to buy a helmet (still don't remember that day) but don't where one for wakeboarding might have to rethank that.

I too wear a Protec Wake Ace when foiling. Great ear protection and gives you that extra measure of confidence knowing that your head is somewhat protected. Fit and styling are good. ~$50 well spent.

One more vote for the Protec helmet. I have the one without the earflaps that I use for Wakeboarding and foiling. Once you put it on, you hardly know it's there.

Daniel

I too wear a Protec Wake Ace when foiling. Great ear protection and gives you that extra measure of confidence knowing that your head is somewhat protected. Fit and styling are good. ~$50 well spent.

I have one of these & I wear it for both foiling & boarding. Great comfort & protection.

Dare- Lake Pamona...The dirtiest lake in Kansas...'Er atleast thats what the doctor said judging by the fast acting infection. I was pretty out of it at the time, but he talked quite a bit about the nasty lake water could infect my brain since the skull had actually broken Crazy.gif

The SO has some pics, I'll see if I can figure out how to post a couple of the actual hole Shocking.gif

If I cracked my skull I might consider something like this...

btw, dare I ask - what lake were you on?

e01010443.jpg

Another vote (user) of the ProTec Ace Wake (the one with the ear flaps.) I use it for slalom. Perforated left ear drum that won't heal..... so I also wear a Doc's Ear Plug and a neoprene headband. Not supposed to get any water into the middle ear area... and if I ever had even the slightest rush of water into the left ear I'm toast.

Prior to last year they came in only a few sizes. S/M and L/XL I think. You modified the fit by adding extra velcro padding that they supplied.

LAST year's model was an improvement. They added an extra head support at the rear, as well as making more separate sizes. S, M, L, XL.

I still wear my older one.... my 2 kids wear the newer ones for (yuck) wakeboarding. Gotthem used to it early.... they actually feel like it looks cool.

post-114-1139530916_thumb.jpg

Post 'em!! Post 'em!!

OK here they are... Sorry for not smiling, but I didn't know that they were being taken ROFL.gif

I'm in there

post-522-1139555709_thumb.jpg

A close up... It doesn't look too bad with it all cleaned up. I was knocked out in the pic. Keep in mind that this is from the front of the ski with both feet still in their respective boots!

post-522-1139555740_thumb.jpg

Finally

post-522-1139555898_thumb.jpg

Enjoy Biggrin.gif

sorry :blush: Why didn,t the driver stop the boat or reduced the speed to get your attention for the high rollers?i,ve you are rippin on some passes or freeride you are focused on riding the ski.You won,t pay to much attention on things around you(except shore line),here we have to count on the spotter and driver.

Looking at your injury i do not think a helmet would helped much,because of the place where the tip of the ski did hit your head.Heck maybe it could be worse with a helmet if the tip got stucked between your skull and the helmet,you might have got a broken leg too...lol.JK

anyway if you feel saver wearing a helmet,just wear it.WTF if someone thinks it looks silly,who cares.