Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Question on emptying and filling ballast

tommytg

took the boat out yesterday (and am heading out again this am :))...and tried surfing for the first time after getting the motor broken in a bit.

Regarding the ballast --- is there a quick way to just drain the tanks that are filled with the pre-set buttons? So when I click my "surf left" setting and just the left and center tanks fill, do I need to go to the MLS screen and empty each tank one at a time, or is there something i can click to quickly drain just those two tanks?

i believe if i click on another pre-set setting that has empty tanks they will drain, but wondering if there's an easier way?

if you go the pre set for GO HOME, then all tanks will drain and shut off automatically when empty and speed will be set for 20 (unless you have changed it). Or...you can go to MLS screen and select empty all - you will need to hit all off when they are empty. Someone else can correct me, but I believe that if you use a preset to empty or fill, then it will shut off automatically. If you use the MLS screen to adjust ballast, then it is like using a manual switch - you will have tell the pumps when to turn off and on.

sounds like i just need to hit home. For some reason i was thinking I would need to be driving for it to take effect, but obviously not, as it doesn't need to be moving when i hit the surf setting. Makes sense, thanks for the clarification!

I hit GO HOME and the tanks will drain, wedge will come up I can go faster than the recommended speed by throttling up. Never seemed easier than this to me

I hit GO HOME and the tanks will drain, wedge will come up I can go faster than the recommended speed by throttling up. Never seemed easier than this to me

Interesting!! When I select Go Home I receive a message to raise the wedge and I have to do it manually.

Interesting!! When I select Go Home I receive a message to raise the wedge and I have to do it manually.

The wedge won't move up unless the boat is moving (I think around 3 MPH). I found this out in my driveway when my boat was new. I put the wedge down just to look at the movement and then it wouldn't go back up. I had to have my wife hold the hose up to the speed wheel to get it moving, then I could put the wedge back up. :D

I'm not sure if they do this for safety reasons or what, but it seems kind of dumb to me. I've just gotten used to doing it manually. Since we have the factory ballast plus a ~1400 pound surf sac to drain, we are usually sitting in the water for awhile before I start moving.

Same message I get, its a safety issues. Could you imagine if the wedge came up on its own and some one was back there!?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No argument on the safety aspect of manually raising the wedge but just wondering why saidainc (2012 MXZ) doesn't have to manually raise the wedge.

No argument on the safety aspect of manually raising the wedge but just wondering why saidainc (2012 MXZ) doesn't have to manually raise the wedge.

You don't have to manually raise the wedge if you hit 'Go Home' when you are moving at least 3 MPH. He meant that he starts moving, hits 'Go Home' then he can speed up after the wedge moves itself up.

You don't have to manually raise the wedge if you hit 'Go Home' when you are moving at least 3 MPH. He meant that he starts moving, hits 'Go Home' then he can speed up after the wedge moves itself up.

In my 2011 and 2012 you have to move the wedge up manually. I am not sure why. Can this be changed?