Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Upgraded to a V-DRIVE

G-Pac

I was more comfy on the ski at 50mph then bouncing around in the little go cart...

Alright, I see how it is... Cry.gif

Admittedly, a Sporty is not a very good rough water vessel. No.gif

Is it April yet? Biggrin.gif

Try riding in one of whose thing when the lakes starts kicking a 6" wind chop :lol:Tease2.gif

If that's an issue with most people, no wonder the big VDs are so popular. Except in the morning, my lake seldom does not have a 6" wind chop. It's the 1'-2' wind chop that I find bumpy.

Sounds like my boat. :)

You are going to LOVE that Hammerhead.

Since your in brackish water do you get a transom flush to flush out the heat exchanger?

Everything else sounds great.

Pop up cleats are standard.

Missed this in my response- We opted for the fresh water cooling system and will therefore not need the flush kit. One less step for the cleanup process, although it was a very easy step compared to all else!

Try riding in one of those things when the lakes starts kicking a 6" wind chop...

Slider ran 6" wind chop at 50 mph last year at WOW. Shocking.gif

:lol: But he's "special". Crazy.gif

Special enough to know that he needed to upgrade from a DD to V-Drive in just a couple of weeks after that :)

Touché :lol: Good one...

I was more comfy on the ski at 50mph then bouncing around in the little go cart...

Turns on a dime too eh.... :lol:

Special enough to know that he needed to upgrade from a DD to V-Drive in just a couple of weeks after that :)

Shocking.gif Hadn't thought of the angle that I forced him to a VD... Cry.gif - - - - - :lol:

A wet dime. Biggrin.gif

Funny story, one of the best memories I have of my sporty - we took it down to Florida and were out on the sandbar near the Jetties in Destin. We had enjoyed a good part of the afternoon snorkling with the fish when it started to get dark and cloudly quick. We had put in on the other side of the bay and had to make a mad dash for the truck/trailer. We're doing 50 across the bay in probably 6" plus chop with huge winds and dark clouds upon us! She took a beating that day but what an adrenaline rush! We made it back no problem though. I think I even have a picture somewhere (I'll have to dig up and scan). :)

Since your in brackish water do you get a transom flush to flush out the heat exchanger?

Missed this in my response- We opted for the fresh water cooling system and will therefore not need the flush kit. One less step for the cleanup process, although it was a very easy step compared to all else!

Wrong! You STILL need the flush kit to clean the the exchanger and exhaust manifolds and risers! You are right though, its a simple and well worth it step. just add a flushpro. we live on a brakish river, and i just run the boat a minute or two on the lift after each use...

Wrong! You STILL need the flush kit to clean the the exchanger and exhaust manifolds and risers! You are right though, its a simple and well worth it step. just add a flushpro. we live on a brakish river, and i just run the boat a minute or two on the lift after each use...

YIKES....dealer told us we would NOT need the flush kit with the fresh water cooled system. The boat order has already been submitted to Malibu. I will get on this first thing Friday to resolve it.

Thanks for the heads-up.

G-Pac

I think you still need the fluxh kit to rinse out the heat exchanger. The cooling system is a closed loop, so you will have antifreeze/coolant there. But the heat exchanger will be the one that is haing the salt water pump through it. It should have zinc there, but might still need to be rinsed out.

Ooops, missed this one. So I guess you will need it.... check with the dealer or call the factory.

I think you still need the fluxh kit to rinse out the heat exchanger. The cooling system is a closed loop, so you will have antifreeze/coolant there. But the heat exchanger will be the one that is haing the salt water pump through it. It should have zinc there, but might still need to be rinsed out.

Ooops, missed this one. So I guess you will need it.... check with the dealer or call the factory.

yup, you are right. raw water stilll passes through the pump, through the heat exchanger (which does have a single diode that is an easy change when less than 50%), then the exhaust manifolds and risers. these are still going to corrode faster than freshwater use, but flushing will save them. my '00 manifolds look OK (fresh paint every year because the salt air/condensation when on the lift still effects the WHOLE boat). I am sure the internal engine is in great shape though, due to the antifreeze. Another plus is those late fall and early spring days, no worries about cracked blocks (and no low temperature problems with the heater either, its using antifreeze too).

G-

If your looking for a Rankin, I maybe able to cut you deal....... I have an extra cover.

I just called Rankin yesterday to place an order. I did not make payment yet, and would love to talk to you about your extra cover. What is the best way to correspond?

Shocking.gif Hadn't thought of the angle that I forced him to a VD... Cry.gif - - - - - :lol:

A wet dime. Biggrin.gif

You just want to dampen the boat to clean it...mission accomplished :)

G-

If your looking for a Rankin, I maybe able to cut you deal....... I have an extra cover.

I just called Rankin yesterday to place an order. I did not make payment yet, and would love to talk to you about your extra cover. What is the best way to correspond?

SOLD